None
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1317 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
May 1st, 2017 9:17 am
Same here, and I considered entering at $15 too... guess I'll never see that again. Bid/Ask ~$17.8 now
I've been holding it in my TFSA with DRIP since ~$8. Guess I'll just keep holding, besides PPL is a great company as well.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1063 posts
270 upvotes
This is great news for anyone with VSN. I've held it for years and bought more early 2016 when it went down to $7. I piled into their preferred shares when the market was pretty much giving them away. These are almost at par now. I'll probably unload them for other opportunities. VSN has not raised its dividend for over 10 years. As a high-yield play, its done better for me than almost all other pipelines and I've got pretty much all of them.

Edit: Exited my entire and significant VSN pref holdings before the market thinks twice about it. Will still hold on to VSN; I like their assets and believe this could be a good deal for both VSN and PPL.
Feb 26, 2017
138 posts
32 upvotes
KEY is up by 5% today but I didn't see any news.

Anyone have an idea why its up?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
19656 posts
2884 upvotes
Waterloo
Chance7652 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 10:57 am
KEY is up by 5% today but I didn't see any news.

Anyone have an idea why its up?
I'd guess sympathy move up with PPL/VSN as it may become the next target?
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Feb 26, 2017
138 posts
32 upvotes
There are 3 US stocks I'm looking at that from what I can tell appear to be undervalued (QCOM, GIS, SKT). I've trimmed some of my holdings and I'm about two weeks away from being able to buy 2 half positions or a full position.

All 3 stocks are trading near their 52 week lows but I see issues with all 3 of them. QCOM has is being sued by Apple who is withholding a large royalty payment. GIS has shrinking revenues and is under performing a bit. SKT just had a poor quarter and some of its retail tenants are struggling.

Anyone have an opinion on these stocks?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2279 posts
370 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 8:46 am
There are 3 US stocks I'm looking at that from what I can tell appear to be undervalued (QCOM, GIS, SKT). I've trimmed some of my holdings and I'm about two weeks away from being able to buy 2 half positions or a full position.

All 3 stocks are trading near their 52 week lows but I see issues with all 3 of them. QCOM has is being sued by Apple who is withholding a large royalty payment. GIS has shrinking revenues and is under performing a bit. SKT just had a poor quarter and some of its retail tenants are struggling.

Anyone have an opinion on these stocks?
GIS more of an old school stock however there is opportunity there.

QCOM has gone thru this many times and always comes back so great opportunity but not easy to convince oneself to buy. Have heard talk of them selling their ip business; the one that is responsible for the AAPL royalties.
Feb 26, 2017
138 posts
32 upvotes
georvu wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 8:57 am
GIS more of an old school stock however there is opportunity there.

QCOM has gone thru this many times and always comes back so great opportunity but not easy to convince oneself to buy. Have heard talk of them selling their ip business; the one that is responsible for the AAPL royalties.
I'm on the fence about QCOM. I don't currently own any tech stocks and it would be nice to add one.

I'm a bit hesitant as I have trouble understanding their business and because their share price is down over the last five years. The counter point is their financial results and balance sheet look good and their dividend payout is less than 50%. The Div is also growing and has a 4.3% yield...
Dec 14, 2009
73 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
Any thoughts on waste connections? WCN

Very small dividend but has raised it for 7 years straight, ever since they started
Mar 4, 2007
338 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
Hi Rod,

With the recent drops in the big banks, I was wondering what your thoughts on their current valuations? Mainly TD and RY.

Thx
Feb 26, 2017
138 posts
32 upvotes
Another good article by Chuck Carnevale.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/406983 ... block=true

Basically the article is about not buying/selling based on short-term price volatility which Rod stresses with his approach. It seemed pretty relevant to me as I've been watching my stocks more closely the last year and half I've also felt the need to be doing 'something' in the market.
Nov 23, 2008
90 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi Rod,

I am wondering what you think about CVS and TEVA?
They are both trading far from 52 week highs and seems interesting as they are giants in their respective fields.

(I added 100 shares of CVS @ 80.86 as I have no exposure to the healthcare sector right now)
Historic P/E for CVS seems to be around 20, and it is at 16.xx right now... has grown its dividend for 10 years in a row...

Thank you for your valuable insight to this forum!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3519 posts
399 upvotes
Montreal
Hey Rod, have you had the time to look into OTEX's ER where it missed on both EPS and revenue? I am thinking of initiating a position later this week once the dust settles.

Thanks again.
Feb 7, 2014
389 posts
18 upvotes
Hi Rod.

M looking to go long on US telecoms. Considering both T and VZ. Which one do you think is a better buy at the moment? This is for safe dividend play over long term .. will b goin into RSP. Thanks in advance!