None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4304 posts
3260 upvotes
vikingabroad wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 12:23 pm
Rod, how does the increasing struggle of the brick and mortar retailers factor into your analysis of the REITs?
It doesn't. My focus is on the financials, so as long as AFFO is growing and estimated to grow, I trust that management is reacting and adapting accordingly. My preference is a diversified REIT portfolio, with exposure to real estate, office, industrials, so other segments as well.

Although brick and mortar retailers are struggling, my anecdotal observation is that I keep seeing malls full. Not trivial to find a parking spot. Boxing Day is still a thing. Teenagers still line up in front of certain stores before it opens to take advantage of promotions. Food court / restaurants continue busy. And it's also my observation that it's very hard to buy clothes or shoes online, so although Target or Sears are struggling, it's still a model that I can't see being fully replaced by the digital stores. Plus, there is real estate appreciation price. I believe that as long as the business remain well managed and diversified, the retail industry will find a way to keep afloat and competitive - and REITs will continue to be an attractive option for high growing income.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Aug 20, 2016
56 posts
39 upvotes
Rod
you are a very good read
I am looking at reits but I go RioCan Oakville Place and it is frightful. 12 Cellphone booths, a closing Sears, a soon to be closing HBC. A huge comic book store on the second floor.
I thought but maybe wrong the mall owner (Riocan) gets a percentage of sales? Imagine the money from the comic book store on a monthly basis. The cheque would not be big.
The food courts are dependent on mall traffic. What will attract people? I pop by every month or so look around the mall but I do not buy anything.
There is another Riocan mall (not picking on Riocan) at Burloak in Burlington. Someone had an idea to setup a Halloween store. The Halloween store was busy yesterday but it has a massive amount of inventory that will be worthless after today.
I believe there is some value in some of these reits but are we investing a dying industry.
Mar 4, 2007
353 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Hi Rod
What are your thoughts on Disney? They have been growing earning and dividends for the last few years. Expected earnings are predicted to rise the next couple of years however their ESPN business keeps dwindling.
The stock has taken a hit this year so it is looking fairly valued. They are reporting earnings next week for the quarter. Looking to see if I should partner with them. THX
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1376 posts
516 upvotes
Houston, TX
jerryhung wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 2:38 pm
Another WTF day for CJR.B, -2.3%
$12.04-$11.7
There is inversion correlation between how often investors checked their holdings prices and returns for those investors. The more often they "worried" about the price, the less returns they got, statistically.
The really bad news would be they will cut a dividends or fundamentals deteriorated...so far so good imo and this didn't happened,
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
asa1973 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 2:58 pm
There is inversion correlation between how often investors checked their holdings prices and returns for those investors. The more often they "worried" about the price, the less returns they got, statistically.
The really bad news would be they will cut a dividends or fundamentals deteriorated...so far so good imo and this didn't happened,
I tend to agree with the not checking thing. I had a few months get completely out of control at work and completely ignored my portfolio. Coincidence no doubt but best returns of the year in that period
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
Siralex wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:09 pm
Hi Rod
What are your thoughts on Disney? They have been growing earning and dividends for the last few years. Expected earnings are predicted to rise the next couple of years however their ESPN business keeps dwindling.
The stock has taken a hit this year so it is looking fairly valued. They are reporting earnings next week for the quarter. Looking to see if I should partner with them. THX
Get in there, partner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4304 posts
3260 upvotes
Siralex wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 9:09 pm
Hi Rod
Great company at a good valuation. For October, I was between LOW and DIS and opted for LOW given the higher earnings yield estimate. I will be adding DIS in November and will post details soon.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4304 posts
3260 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 2:38 pm
Another WTF day for CJR.B, -2.3%
$12.04-$11.7
CJR.B is a high yield play that will have lots of price fluctuation (noise) until their goal switches from deleveraging to growing earnings. Meanwhile, cash flow needs to be monitored to ensure it can sustain the current dividends - which is fine at this point. Until the next result is out, it's just noise. It's best to ignore.

Rod
Oct 29, 2014
290 posts
57 upvotes
Hi Rod,

Just checked out your website. Is there a way to see your current holdings? I se the initial purchases but have any of those dropped?

Where would someone pick up if they wanted to mirror this strategy?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4304 posts
3260 upvotes
30seconds wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:22 pm
Hi Rod,

Just checked out your website. Is there a way to see your current holdings? I se the initial purchases but have any of those dropped?

Where would someone pick up if they wanted to mirror this strategy?
The Performance section under the Investing menu has the live portfolio as per this thread, for both Canadian and US stocks. I'm buying stocks monthly and posting it in the blog (and notifying here too).

Rod
Aug 20, 2016
56 posts
39 upvotes
what is the strange fascination with Corus?
stock down, debt, declining business.
Buy some Shaw,
High dividends always end in heartbreak.
Sep 18, 2016
86 posts
23 upvotes
isd9999 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 4:19 pm
what is the strange fascination with Corus?
stock down, debt, declining business.
Buy some Shaw,
High dividends always end in heartbreak.
if you get in at a low price you take the monthly dividend and be happy
"Just because it's illogical doesn't mean it can't continue to move up"
Nov 26, 2002
542 posts
26 upvotes
Western Canada
rodbarc wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 10:51 pm
No changes for me. It continues to look bullish, with operating cash flow and dividends estimated to grow, and since price has been dropping, it presents a nice opportunity:

In my opinion, the negative sentiment is due to the downgrade rating by Moody's. You can read Moody's reasoning for the downgrade, however the other agency that rates ENF (DBMRS) maintains their stable rating and you can read DBRS's reasoning here.

In my opinion ENF actually carries less risk than ENB, because ENF has minimal commodity price and throughput exposure and ENF has long-term commercial agreements with strong counterparties (when ENB transfer their mature assets to ENF). ENF cash flow is very stable and predictable - only 1% of its cash flow is subject to market price risks including commodity, interest and foreign exchange - 99% of it comes from long-term commercial agreements. That gives them the confidence to expects a 10% dividend per share CAGR through 2019, supported by $13 billion of assets currently under development to be delivered through 2018, and increasing returns from many assets already in service.

ENF reports on November 2, and their Investor Relation days will be on December 12 and 13, so I'll monitor those dates to evaluate if there are any guidance changes - but so far, it points to a decent valuation.

Rod
HI Rod, ENF/ENB reported today and share prices dropped. I currently hold ENF.TO. Would appreciate your opinion on today's guidance on ENF.TO and whether I should hold. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1025 posts
183 upvotes
Ontario
Rod, are AT&T and CVS begging to be bought at these levels? I’ve run my algorithms 86 ways and consulted my crystal ball and these two are consistently coming out as THE divi stocks to buy. Tell me I’m wrong?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Capt.