Investing Idea - Dividend Growth

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 26, 2017
301 posts
81 upvotes
I agree with eonibm that a lot of stock price movement is just noise.

I'm a buy and hold investor but the psychology of investing is funny. I sold 3/4 of my IPL at around 26 (I had too much of it much of it). My first reaction a sense of relief that the stock had dropped. I still own this stock, its not a good thing :).
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4967 posts
308 upvotes
Markham
jerryhung wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:31 am
IPL -3%, so not quite 5% yet
Besides PPL, all other pipelines didn't do well this ER. ENB/ENF continues to flat/drop
25.7x....dropping fast
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10945 posts
2173 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:23 am
Man, you aren't much fun, are you?

It's Friday and I just like watching these comical price movement of CAD pipeline... esp one I own. Beats dealing with the everyday BS at work....

Well down 3.5% now..,
It's not about 'fun'. As Donna Summer sang (bless her heart), you work 'hard for the money' so don't fritter it away trying to have fun and to make sense of those tiny movements in a stock price. Look at a stock chart for 10 years to get a perspective. Those thousands of little movements mean squat.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3791 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:06 pm
It's not about 'fun'. As Donna Summer sang (bless her heart), you work 'hard for the money' so don't fritter it away trying to have fun and to make sense of those tiny movements in a stock price. Look at a stock chart for 10 years to get a perspective. Those thousands of little movements mean squat.
Don't think you get my point. Just because I'm watching the price movement, doesn't mean I'm trigger-happy and sell/buy for every 1% swing. So yes I'm indeed watching the price for fun, esp the irrational movements, while holding it...

And guess what, it did drop over 5% at one point lol. See what it'll close at....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4302 posts
3258 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:59 am
97 US companies, sorted by sector:
Energy: CVX, XOM
Materials: APD, ECL, PPG, SHW
Industrials: CTAS, DNB, DOV, EMR, EXPD, GD, GE, GWW, ITW, MMM, NDSN, NOC, PH, PNR, RTN, SWK, UTX
Consumer Discretionary: COH, DIS, DRI, GPC, JCI, KSS, LOW, MCD, ROST, SBUX, TGT, TJX, TUP, TWX, VFC
Consumer Staples: ADM, BF.B, CL, CLX, COST, GIS, HRL, HSY, KMB, KO, KR, LANC, MKC, MO, PEP, PG, PM, SYY, TAP, WBA, WMT
Health Care: ABBV, ABT, BAX, BCR, BDX, CAH, JNJ, MDT, UNH
Financials: AFL, AMP, BEN, BLK, CB, SPGI, TROW, WFC
REITs: HCP, O
Info Tech: AAPL, ACN, ADP, BR, CSCO, IBM, INTC, MA, MSFT, ORCL, PAYX, QCOM, TXN, V
Telecom: T, VZ
Utilities: AWR, SO, VVC

Rod: Appreciate if could post updated thoughts on bolded above. Thanks.

I posted the analysis of these companies on my latest website post.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20300 posts
3091 upvotes
Waterloo
rodbarc wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:27 pm

Rod
Thanks Rod, I appreciated the T/VZ opinions as I added more T recently (I think it's oversold)

This week is quite volatile though, due to rumors flying around TWX & T merger, after the Sprint/Tmobile failed merger
I'm never sure how street takes it
Sprint/Tmobile - IMO it's bad for T if they merge (stronger competitor?), but apparently it's also bad for T if they failed (everybody dropped after the failed merger, I bought some TMUS at $55)

TWX/T merger - I don't know what to think. IMO Success = T will be more diversified by larger debt; Fail = T will find other ways and have better credit rating
Funny how everybody except USA cleared it already, and rumor says DOJ (or anti-CNN Trump?) wants CNN sold as a condition. Oh politics
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2575 posts
457 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
rodbarc wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:27 pm

Rod
Thank you!!

Great, detailed analysis with logical and supported details.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10945 posts
2173 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:19 pm
Don't think you get my point. Just because I'm watching the price movement, doesn't mean I'm trigger-happy and sell/buy for every 1% swing. So yes I'm indeed watching the price for fun, esp the irrational movements, while holding it...

And guess what, it did drop over 5% at one point lol. See what it'll close at....
Take a cue from Warren Buffet and don't even bother watching these tiny movements as they are irrelevant to the big picture, not to mention there are hundreds of them yearly on each stock. The more you watch and wonder about all the noise, the more you will have a tendency to do something.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1433 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
At this rate going into tax loss selling season, enbridge could touch $40 again. Now that would be an amazing price for a long term hold.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1901 posts
664 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
BEI.UN reports after close today - anyone think there will be a distribution cut? (I do!) We'll soon find out!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1433 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:41 pm
Falling knives do keep falling

ENB -1.5% to $44.x
CJR.B -2% $11.40 to almost 52w low of $11.29

IPL is flat. TRP is green, CHR new high daily, $9.8 today +2%
Corus is officially at a 10% yield now.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1360 posts
512 upvotes
Houston, TX
zobi123 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:26 pm
Corus is officially at a 10% yield now.
I used to buy when it was 12%, maybe good time to refil with cash accumulated, either thinking to buy some ENB, with 5.5% yield and 12% growth over next 3 years looks quite attractive for DI

p.s. 50% of Corus drop came from dividend day (10c from 20c) and 75% drop of ENB as well from correction on dividend paid...just a good day to buy if someone interested in them (but you have to wait 1m and 3m accordingly...)
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1433 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
asa1973 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:32 pm
I used to buy when it was 12%, maybe good time to refil with cash accumulated, either thinking to buy some ENB, with 5.5% yield and 12% growth over next 3 years looks quite attractive for DI

p.s. 50% of Corus drop came from dividend day (10c from 20c) and 75% drop of ENB as well from correction on dividend paid...just a good day to buy if someone interested in them (but you have to wait 1m and 3m accordingly...)
Enbridge dropped 99 cents on top of the ex dividend date adjustment (61 cents), because on Ex-Dividend date the stock price gets adjusted before the open so it doesn't get factored into the intra day price swings.