Investing Idea - Dividend Growth

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
Mar 14, 2009
66 posts
17 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hi Rod,

I know that you are updating your watchlist, and don't know if you are doing an updated target list for early 2018 as part of that update. However, if you aren't, can you share your thoughts on LNR? I am going through my watchlist for the next little while, and they are currently on my shortlist, based on decent current price, and great targets for 2018.

Thanks,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4709 posts
3904 upvotes
vikingabroad wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 11:54 am
Hi Rod,

I know that you are updating your watchlist, and don't know if you are doing an updated target list for early 2018 as part of that update. However, if you aren't, can you share your thoughts on LNR? I am going through my watchlist for the next little while, and they are currently on my shortlist, based on decent current price, and great targets for 2018.

Thanks,
I'm in the process of reviewing my watchlist and I will post details soon. LNR remains a solid business, and although earnings will slow down to typical levels, the stock remains fairly valued when plotting recent earnings and the current estimates at a glance:

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4709 posts
3904 upvotes
jimmyho56 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:09 pm
Hi Rod, do you have any dividend stocks you suggest for an RESP? I don't see any posts specifically related to dividend stocks for an RESP. Thank you.
As I mentioned before, I typically hold growth stocks on my RESP, since my goal there is maximizing capital appreciation. I posted my views on how I evaluate one of these stocks (Shopify) on my Blog. I will be doing a series of posts later on my other growth stocks.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8253 posts
1710 upvotes
I am planning to load up a bit more on ENF. Price keeps going down and I believe dividend is quite safe. I don't think there are any 8% dividends out there that are safer than ENF.

Any suggestions why I shouldn't buy little by little if the price keeps droping?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21555 posts
3759 upvotes
Waterloo
At this FALLING rate (TSX yield/dividend players), no dividend is safe . YTD TSX is just horrible (vs. USA)

Pipelines
Telecoms near 52w lows
Utilities

only banks are relatively flat

To be fair, USA dividend are doing bad too
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8253 posts
1710 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 5:20 pm
At this FALLING rate (TSX yield/dividend players), no dividend is safe . YTD TSX is just horrible (vs. USA)

Pipelines
Telecoms near 52w lows
Utilities

only banks are relatively flat

To be fair, USA dividend are doing bad too
Then this is GREAT. Plenty of buying opportunities. Still too high since Sept 2017
Sep 29, 2007
485 posts
79 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 5:41 pm
Then this is GREAT. Plenty of buying opportunities. Still too high since Sept 2017
These are going nowhere until interest rate rises are off the table so 18 months?
Penalty Box
Jul 17, 2008
8253 posts
1710 upvotes
retireat50 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2018 8:28 pm
These are going nowhere until interest rate rises are off the table so 18 months?
good, more time to keep buying.

in regards to enf, im totally fine if the price stays flat for 18 months while i get near 8% dividends. AFAIK they can maintain the dividends for years. Or am I missing something? Seems like many are staying away because there is no "growth" of the stock price. Altogh I understand that they have a project that is hard to get approved, and if that gets going, appreciation should happen as well
Oct 14, 2006
36 posts
rodbarc wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 4:28 pm
As I mentioned before, I typically hold growth stocks on my RESP, since my goal there is maximizing capital appreciation. I posted my views on how I evaluate one of these stocks (Shopify) on my Blog. I will be doing a series of posts later on my other growth stocks.

Rod
Hi Rod,

Would it be possible for you to share a sample portfolio for RESPs, as it relates to growth stocks?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
21555 posts
3759 upvotes
Waterloo
Ha, whatever names we find for dividend/D.G., it's going down faster than it can raise, at least for me. The rise in yield isn't even that much, relatively

ENB/ENF/TRP/PPL/IPL/KEY/all pipelines
AQN
CJR.B << near $8 again
EIF
I don't have FTS/EMA but same thing
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Feb 26, 2017
673 posts
289 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:33 pm
Ha, whatever names we find for dividend/D.G., it's going down faster than it can raise, at least for me. The rise in yield isn't even that much, relatively

ENB/ENF/TRP/PPL/IPL/KEY/all pipelines
AQN
CJR.B << near $8 again
EIF
I don't have FTS/EMA but same thing
The thing about investing based on value is that it doesn't mean the stock you are buying will automatically turn around because its undervalued. The market is very momentum based right now and if the trend is down its probably going to go down further.

Utilities and Pipelines are out of favor. I also own ENB, ENF, IPL, KEY and AQN and while they are all down their dividends look safe and growing. I have no idea when these stocks will be priced closer to their historical multiples. I don't think it makes sense to sell them to chase returns. If I panic sell my stocks because I don't like the sector their in or their price I'm pretty sure its going to cost me in the long term.
Sep 4, 2007
582 posts
63 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
So I bought a set of very nice steak energy® knives and looking to keep for a very long time in my possession. Looking for a knife block allows for blood to air dry. Any recommendations?
Feb 26, 2017
673 posts
289 upvotes
dvd5 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:04 pm
So I bought a set of very nice steak energy® knives and looking to keep for a very long time in my possession. Looking for a knife block allows for blood to air dry. Any recommendations?
A good 'block' from thinking of your falling energy knives

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1391 posts
422 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wow I just had a glass of this wine at The Keg! Who got acquired by Cara recently, but the waiter said so far no changes, and we asked him to pass to the management to please keep it this way as we love kegs “just the way they are” :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)