• Oct 12th, 2019 3:08 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4695 posts
818 upvotes
Montreal
daydreamer7 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 8:24 pm
I like to solicit an opinion on Laurentian Bank. They raised their dividend, twice this year. It now sits at 6.5%, far higher than any other Canuck bank. I'm not looking for a day trading opinion, I'm looking for safety boring, buy and forget and sleep at night opinion. Would LB fit that category? Is the dividend and stock for that matter safe for the next 5-10 years?
Thank you
You get what you paid for. There isn't much more money to go around in QC and I don't think LB will stop shrinking due to competition from other banks. Basically, LB is cheap for a reason. I would buy TD to sleep well at night but BNS is trading much cheaper for its international growth potential.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
14380 posts
228 upvotes
Gungnir wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 10:40 am
@Rod HOT.UN also pays it's dividends in USD, one more for your list.
Is there any way to accept the dividend in USD? TD always converts it back to CAD for me.
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Jan 4, 2018
59 posts
402 upvotes
Hi Rod,
What's your intake on Activision Blizzard Inc (ATVI:NASDAQ)? It's hitting 52 week low

@rodbarc
Last edited by RFDSimple on Dec 13th, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5435 posts
5533 upvotes
JayTee1 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:39 pm
Is there any way to accept the dividend in USD? TD always converts it back to CAD for me.
Ask your brokerage is that's an option. Some brokerages, like CIBC Investor's Edge, will always convert to C$, so settling in US$ is not an option. Another reason to why I prefer Interactive Brokers, which settles US dividends in the US portion of the account, besides having lower commissions.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2951 posts
1461 upvotes
Burlington
Thoughts on DOL Rod? I love to run into burning buildings. I might pick this up after tax loss selling is over.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2594 posts
655 upvotes
Ontario
JayTee1 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 10:39 pm
Make sure it's being held on the USD side of your acct. If it's not ask TDWH to journal it to the USD side. Can't believe TDWH still auto converts USD dividends at their terrible FX rate in 2018!

Another reason to go with IB.

BTW, does anyone know if you can get HSBC Investdirect to not autoconvert divs from USD to CAD?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
1330 posts
255 upvotes
rodbarc wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 7:47 am
Ask your brokerage is that's an option. Some brokerages, like CIBC Investor's Edge, will always convert to C$, so settling in US$ is not an option. Another reason to why I prefer Interactive Brokers, which settles US dividends in the US portion of the account, besides having lower commissions.

Rod
Rod, your info about CIBC IE is incorrect. Every account has USD and CDN sides ... You may switch your stock from USD to CDN and vice versa. I did it with Magna and some other stocks and getting dividends in USD
No political content in sigs
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5435 posts
5533 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 1:55 am
Rod, your info about CIBC IE is incorrect. Every account has USD and CDN sides ... You may switch your stock from USD to CDN and vice versa. I did it with Magna and some other stocks and getting dividends in USD
Interesting, I have IE for RESP, and I was told a few months ago that dividends will always settle in C$, as the account can't handle a US side. I'll ask them again - thanks for this info.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
2705 posts
1700 upvotes
rodbarc wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:37 am
Interesting, I have IE for RESP, and I was told a few months ago that dividends will always settle in C$, as the account can't handle a US side. I'll ask them again - thanks for this info.
Rod
IE sent out a notice in mid Nov 2016 regarding holding foreign currencies. 10 years after their competition BTW. The effective date was supposed to be Jan 23/17. You should have received a letter from them.

Possibly they have an internal problem allocating USD cash from a security held in a CAD denominated account?

update: Attached the CM IE letter
Images
  • CM IE Registered Acct letter.JPG
Last edited by MrMom on Dec 12th, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4529 posts
1407 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Could be that with RESP any transaction has to be in CAD... unless I'm mistaken there is no RESP USD acct.?

All our accts have CAD and USD sub accts except for RESP.

This is both with CIBC and RBC.
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
1330 posts
255 upvotes
rodbarc wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:37 am

Rod
Rod, cannot tell about RESP, as my RESP in TD... But I have with CIBC IE, RSSP, SRRSP, LIRAs, TFSAs and all accounts have CDN and USD side. You just can call them and move stock to USD side or to CDN. It's free and unlimited. To USD side you can do it even with non-interlisted stocks ....for example I moved WPR REIT (they pay dividends in USD) to WPTIF (OTCMKTS). To buy stock in USD , I place trade and indicate that money should be taken from USD side cash/MM/ATL5500.
This feature was implemented 2 or 3 years ago,
BTW, before this feature CIBC IE did a very nice thing .... in Registered accounts all buys/dividends of USD stocks were converted to CDN at BoC spot rate!
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
1330 posts
255 upvotes
Regarding CIBC IE features, I'm only not sure about RRIFs withdrawals (I plan to convert SRRSP to SRRIF next year). I took a look transfer form and I have to select radio button , I want RRIF withdrawals to be in CDN OR USD, thus I unsure if I can do it in both currencies from one RRIF or I need to convert one RRSP to 2 RRIFS (1 USD and 1CDN)
Feb 13, 2008
410 posts
136 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Jackson75 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 11:03 pm
Hi Rod,

What do you think of Pepsi? I am thinking to buy and hold. The dividend payout is not bad?

Thank you in advance.
Is it still called Pepsi? I thought they changed it to Frito-Lay.Smiling Face With Open Mouth