Investment Banks front office bonus in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 9:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 5, 2015
59 posts
38 upvotes

Investment Banks front office bonus in Canada

I recently moved from the US and obtained PR status in Canada. My background is 4 years in front office role at VP level. I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on compensation in front office roles at investment banks in Canada compared to the US and London? I heard that bonus in Canada is only 1/3 that of sams level in the US, is that true?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2113 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
For a VP, your bonuses will be tried to performance as a percentage. You will have access to short term, long term, restrictive funds, and long term grants. Yes, Canada comp will be less than US and England. What percentages were your bonus range?
Last edited by raichu1 on Jun 11th, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 28, 2013
465 posts
105 upvotes
bluedrg11 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 9:10 pm
I recently moved from the US and obtained PR status in Canada. My background is 4 years in front office role at VP level. I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on compensation in front office roles at investment banks in Canada compared to the US and London? I heard that bonus in Canada is only 1/3 that of sams level in the US, is that true?
No, it's not 1/3. In fact, because base salaries are lower, the bonus as a % is equivalent in Canada, with total comp being 20-25% less than NYC BB. All in comp is in the 4-500 range.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10039 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
Unless you have some connections which doesn't seem likely seeing your question or some specialization/'connections'/reputation in a industry, it's going to be difficult just getting into a similar investment banking role in a new land.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15231 posts
3157 upvotes
Toronto
Why move here from the US?
Apr 26, 2010
643 posts
57 upvotes
Richmond Hill
g3lo wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 12:05 am
Can I send you my resume ;)
Why would you want to get yelled at? US bankers are on a whole different level compared to Canadians bankers when it comes to rudeness and etc.
Feb 19, 2017
320 posts
136 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:59 am
Unless you have some connections which doesn't seem likely seeing your question or some specialization/'connections'/reputation in a industry, it's going to be difficult just getting into a similar investment banking role in a new land.
He doesn't need connections in Canada if he has deal experience and a history of being able to cultivate the right contacts in the industry he covers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)