• May 2nd, 2019 12:42 am
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2013
256 posts
40 upvotes
jellytime wrote:
Aug 20th, 2014 2:47 am
Aren't there institutions that the give mortgages/loans to people who have been denied by the big banks?
Ie. if you desperately need a loan and you can't get it from the bank, aren't there places these people can go?

Though, 20% return seems too good to be true.
There are 3 places you can get funding.

A- Your bank (Scotia,TD etc)
These are the best of the best clients. Provable income,great credit score.

B- Trust company (Equitable,Home Trust)
These lenders now have more business thanks to large banks. A typical client will use these lenders will have a low beacon score, or a high beacon but they happen to be self employed and are not declaring all their income. Most of these lenders do not deal in second mortgages.

C- Privates (Investors)

These "institutions" that you speak of for these types of construction projects and second mortgages are private lenders.
Jul 21, 2014
3 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
I see more and more misconceptions with the "interest rate questions"

People who are advertising 8% Interest Rates they aren't in the same position as the banks. Those deals are subordinate debt (2nd or 3rd mortgages) where a bank/trust company/credit union/vendor-take-back (VTB)/Private Lender is in first place.

Are they riskier? sure. But to dismiss any deal because of it paying a decent return is short-sighted. All these firms and deals should be assessed on a one-on-one basis.
Sep 2, 2005
286 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
A few years later, Greybrook is still in business and seems to be doing fine.

I recently participated in one of their project (my first project with them). They said none of their projects have ever failed so far (i.e., no project has ever lost money for its investors). Has anyone's experience with Greybrook been different?

Thanks!
Last edited by jdt on Mar 17th, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2016
12 posts
2 upvotes
I got in the Hamilton project, Glanbrook last year. Had a friend/lawyer review it and based on his opinion it seemed legit. He said there was no clause where they can pay you back the principal (to make you whole) and kick you out of the project, keeping all the profits to the developer.

Have not heard many negatives about this company or what they do. Would be nice to have some former investors in on this thread.
Oct 23, 2016
1 posts
Look what happened to UrbanCorp. They were developers in GTA for over 40 years and suddenly they went bankrupt this year (2016). A lot of people lost their life savings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... protection

Developers go bankrupt all the time. If you were invested in any of their developments, you would have lost all your money.
Nov 13, 2013
4 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
Assuming you put all your money into one project - yes you would lose ALL your money. But who in their right mind is actually putting all their money in one stock? No need to go into fear mongering.
Nov 13, 2013
4 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
Just an update for everyone. Do not do business with Fortress Real Capital as they are really quite lousy at managing their projects. Harmony Village Lake Simcoe hasn't lost money yet but it's been over a year that I haven't received interest payments either. They can't seem to pick their projects properly and manage the process once the developer has their money. There are a lot of other mortgage brokers to choose from.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3011 posts
556 upvotes
InterInvest wrote:
Oct 24th, 2016 12:40 pm
Look what happened to UrbanCorp. They were developers in GTA for over 40 years and suddenly they went bankrupt this year (2016). A lot of people lost their life savings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... protection

Developers go bankrupt all the time. If you were invested in any of their developments, you would have lost all your money.
You own the land, and money go for this cause.
If builder folds you would still own the land and can re sell or re develop it later. They do not invest in construction it is responsibility of the developrer.
Sep 2, 2005
286 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
AGInvest wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 10:52 pm
Just an update for everyone. Do not do business with Fortress Real Capital as they are really quite lousy at managing their projects. Harmony Village Lake Simcoe hasn't lost money yet but it's been over a year that I haven't received interest payments either. They can't seem to pick their projects properly and manage the process once the developer has their money. There are a lot of other mortgage brokers to choose from.
Thanks, this is useful information to share.
Now if someone could share some information (good or bad!) about Greybrook, the subject of this thread Winking Face
Jan 28, 2017
3 posts
Vancouver, BC
Hey,

I have invested with GreyBrook in 2 of their Land Development offers: Fort Lauderdale and Oshawa. So far everything seems great, but they only recently closed the offering in Dec 2016.
Sep 2, 2005
286 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
ColinErnst wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 3:49 am
I have invested with GreyBrook in 2 of their Land Development offers: Fort Lauderdale and Oshawa. So far everything seems great, but they only recently closed the offering in Dec 2016.
Good for you. Fort Lauderdale is interesting because its returns are treated as capital gains for income tax purposes.
Last edited by jdt on Jan 29th, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 28, 2017
3 posts
Vancouver, BC
I am investing with RRSP's so it won't matter to me.
Jan 29, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Hello, I invested in the Lakeshore project about 30 months ago. It was a multiphase 4 tower condo development. It actually paid out early after only 27 months, The property they bought with the developer sold for an incredible premium to a Chinese Real Estate Syndicate paying investors a whopping 90% return. This translated to close to 30% annualized. Greybrook invests in only high value projects with the top developers. I like what they do so much that I am now a Senior Associate with them. Every project they launch sells out within a few days due their incredible historical returns.
So personally, I think Greybrook is an incredible company to invest with.
Nov 3, 2010
93 posts
BrunoW022462 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 7:49 pm
Hello, I invested in the Lakeshore project about 30 months ago. It was a multiphase 4 tower condo development. It actually paid out early after only 27 months, The property they bought with the developer sold for an incredible premium to a Chinese Real Estate Syndicate paying investors a whopping 90% return. This translated to close to 30% annualized. Greybrook invests in only high value projects with the top developers. I like what they do so much that I am now a Senior Associate with them. Every project they launch sells out within a few days due their incredible historical returns.
So personally, I think Greybrook is an incredible company to invest with.
Thank you,