• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 5:50 am
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
666 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto

Invited to Hindu wedding. What to wear?

Iv been invited to Hindu wedding and not sure what to wear to temple?

Temple is in the morning and ceremony afternoon.

Temple - can I wear pants and polo shirt? Does it have to dress suit?

When I go inside the temples, people guiding or doni just kind blend it? Never been to Hindu wedding before?

Not sure about what to do at the temple?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10237 posts
502 upvotes
Brampton
Wear good socks, not the usual ones you have that are worn with holes in them because you must remove footwear before entering the temple.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3824 posts
539 upvotes
Oakville
Wear a suit. Simple.
11 Bell Lines w/ 180GB shared, Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes (2 with Unlimited N.A Calling & Roaming) $720 / month ($65.45 each, 16.36gb each shared)
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
x-batman wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 10:04 am
Wear a suit. Simple.
That would be my suggestion. A nice sherwani doesn't come cheap. And has limited use. I have a closet sitting with three that never see the light of day.

But if you want to go all out, might as well dress like the king

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1726 posts
814 upvotes
Wear whatever you are comfortable in. There is no set standard for a Hindu wedding/ceremony. Having said that, wear something tasteful. Even jeans with a decent polo tshirt works. Shorts, however would look bad.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3824 posts
539 upvotes
Oakville
mr_raider wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 10:52 am
That would be my suggestion. A nice sherwani doesn't come cheap. And has limited use. I have a closet sitting with three that never see the light of day.

But if you want to go all out, might as well dress like the king
LOL I mean like a regular 2 piece suit, with dress shirt, tie, dress pants and blazer

This is coming from me - a Hindu guy lol
11 Bell Lines w/ 180GB shared, Unlimited Canada Wide Minutes (2 with Unlimited N.A Calling & Roaming) $720 / month ($65.45 each, 16.36gb each shared)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1707 posts
510 upvotes
Winnipeg
You havent specified how much you are willing to spend or what you have -

1) You have nothing Indian and are not willing to spend on buying - Just wear a formal shirt and trousers. Suit or tie is also ok. Noone will be hard-pressed on what you wear if you are an acquaintance.

2) Willing to spend few $$$ - Buy a "kurta" at any Indian cloth store. A cotton or a khadi kurta is a simple one. A silk embroidery is more suitable for weddings and events. I dont know how much it costs here In Canada as I never bought one here, but consider spending something like $20-50. Wear the kurta on a blue jeans and it will go well. You can also buy the whole set, kurta and pajama (pants), but I must say the pajama will be uncomfortable if you never wore before.

3) Willing to spend more $$$ - Buy a sherwani. Or just go to the store and tell them your budget and they will show all sorts of fancy stuff.

Please dont wear a polo shirt.

In the temple, you just sit at a corner and observe. At some point, everyone will stand up and start clapping to a religious song, clap in their rhythm or pretend to do so. Do not start clapping loudly and out of sync. In short, just try to do what others are doing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
Mr Bean wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 12:05 pm
You havent specified how much you are willing to spend or what you have -

1) You have nothing Indian and are not willing to spend on buying - Just wear a formal shirt and trousers. Suit or tie is also ok. Noone will be hard-pressed on what you wear if you are an acquaintance.

2) Willing to spend few $$$ - Buy a "kurta" at any Indian cloth store. A cotton or a khadi kurta is a simple one. A silk embroidery is more suitable for weddings and events. I dont know how much it costs here In Canada as I never bought one here, but consider spending something like $20-50. Wear the kurta on a blue jeans and it will go well. You can also buy the whole set, kurta and pajama (pants), but I must say the pajama will be uncomfortable if you never wore before.

3) Willing to spend more $$$ - Buy a sherwani. Or just go to the store and tell them your budget and they will show all sorts of fancy stuff.

Please dont wear a polo shirt.

In the temple, you just sit at a corner and observe. At some point, everyone will stand up and start clapping to a religious song, clap in their rhythm or pretend to do so. Do not start clapping loudly and out of sync. In short, just try to do what others are doing.
That's about right.

Or come to Montreal. You can have all my desi shit for free. The wife's too. Need space in the basement.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1864 posts
637 upvotes
Alberta
ysl5710 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 8:26 am
Iv been invited to Hindu wedding and not sure what to wear to temple?

Temple is in the morning and ceremony afternoon.

Temple - can I wear pants and polo shirt? Does it have to dress suit?

When I go inside the temples, people guiding or doni just kind blend it? Never been to Hindu wedding before?

Not sure about what to do at the temple?
A dress shirt and dress pants is sufficient. Make sure no holes in your socks. Save the suit for the reception. Usually there will be lunch after the ceremony as well. Don’t get there early no one will be there lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
abc123yyz wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 1:07 pm
Don’t get there early no one will be there lol.
Valuable advice indeed.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20263 posts
2220 upvotes
Montreal
Amateur.

This is how it's done:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)