Cell Phones

iOS 8 goes live on Wednesday Sept 17. Experiences, issues.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2014 1:20 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
nasa25 wrote: iOS 8 is garbage. Both my 5S and 6 have super slow wifi now.
Try going to general reset and network settings....then re add your wifi connections. This seemed to fix my wifi issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2006
3432 posts
658 upvotes
How long did it take you guys to DL the update? Its taking me 4-5 hours.. WTF
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
ExcelPremium wrote: How long did it take you guys to DL the update? Its taking me 4-5 hours.. WTF
At least that long for me. Not sure if it was Apple or my crappy Internet connection.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Also. Still wondering...

With family sharing, do the family members still need a valid credit card on their own Apple ID? Still can't figure out why my wife's account won't use my shared card that shows up in icloud settings on both phones.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
I am not an iphone user but curious how most like the new update, i would guess it is better overall, a big change or minor, what would you like to see next?

Can those on older devices like 4 and 4S benefit? Or does it just make the older devices sluggish?

Feedback on this ?
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/iphon ... 48385.html
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
It's a lot of small changes. The ones I like so far are:
-Faster Siri
-Voice to text now shows the transcription as you speak instead of when you press "done"
-"hey siri" is nice when in the car so I don't have to press anything to activate voice
-replaceable keyboards are nice, but so far I can't get used to swiping to type
-build in shazam song recognition has already been useful a couple times
-battery usage meter by app is useful
-more granular location services (on, off, when using app instead of on/off) helps for privacy and I expect battery usage. Unfortunately, it seem to depend on the app whether the 3 options are available. Some of Always/Never, some are when in use/never, some have all 3.
-the built in predictive keyboard is better than the old predictive. It shows 3 suggestions instead of 1.

There are others, but nothing earth shattering for me personally. If I had a new Mac, then some of the handoff and continuity features would be very nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1135 posts
290 upvotes
Mississauga
The difference is so small. New keyboards is the most major in my opinion. That is something that affects you with basically every single app and every single day. All the others you have to hunt around for or try to use. Once Yosemite comes out for mac if you have a mac that is when it will be a big update. Also the 4s can run it, but not the 4. The 4s gets the new features, but becomes slower overall. Apple plans this out to screw you into getting a newer phone.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
EugW wrote: I tried sending them texts by manually typing in the phone number, not the threads. iOS 8 just takes her back to the thread and defaults to an iMessage, despite the fact that iMessage has been turned off in the Settings.

I know these numbers work for texts, because I have texted the same people with regular SMS and it works fine. Furthermore, in those very same threads, she has communicated with them with regular texts before. (They're a mix of green and blue messages, but this was before iOS 8.) However, in all of the threads where the last message is blue, she is only allowed to send an iMessage now. In contrast, in all of the threads where the last message is green, she is only allowed to send an SMS (which makes sense since iMessage is off).

This is so bloody frustrating.

I wish Apple would just completely separate iMessage and SMS/MMS from each other. It would just be so much simpler.
If you ever go back to 8, this might fix the SMS problem.
http://www.imobie.com/support/common-io ... #question8
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Gee wrote: Built in Shazam?

How accurate is it compared to "Shazam"?
It is Shazam, just directly usable from Siri.
"what song is this"
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
shmogt wrote: The difference is so small. New keyboards is the most major in my opinion. That is something that affects you with basically every single app and every single day. All the others you have to hunt around for or try to use. Once Yosemite comes out for mac if you have a mac that is when it will be a big update. Also the 4s can run it, but not the 4. The 4s gets the new features, but becomes slower overall. Apple plans this out to screw you into getting a newer phone.
The alternative with other 3 year old phones is just to not offer updates at all...which a 4S user can reproduce by just not upgrading.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: If you ever go back to 8, this might fix the SMS problem.
http://www.imobie.com/support/common-io ... #question8
I'm still on iOS 8, and so is my wife. I don't have this problem since I never send iMessages in the first place, except for testing purposes. For my wife, somehow when she upgraded to iOS 8, iMessage got turned on, and that's when all hell broke loose.

BTW, I had one of her friends delete her iMessage thread, and then send my wife an SMS. She could send it just fine, and my wife got it, but she couldn't respond.

I'll try the link you suggested, to reset all the network settings.

Well, actually, not on iOS 8 for everything: I reverted to iOS 7.1.2 on my iPad 2. I just couldn't take the added lag in iOS 8 on that old tablet. That said, a family member installed iOS 8 on his 1st gen mini, and hasn't complained about speed.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: The alternative with other 3 year old phones is just to not offer updates at all...which a 4S user can reproduce by just not upgrading.
Luckily you can still downgrade to 7.1.2 too, if you decide iOS 8 is too slow. Or at least you could as of yesterday. (I downgraded my iPad 2 back to iOS 7.1.2 a few days ago, but others downgraded over the weekend.)
May 19, 2013
159 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Perfectly fine on my iPad, ohhhhh yeahhh :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Re: iMessage and SMS woes:

I was reading the discussion forums at apple and various imessage and SMS issues exist. However, it seems most are fixed by resetting the network settings.

General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

I tried this and it does seem to have fixed this issue on my wife's iOS 8 iPhone 5.

I must say new versions of iOS are getting buggier and buggier at release. The two buggiest in iOS history have been iOS 7.0 and 8.0 IMHO.
Sep 14, 2009
955 posts
443 upvotes
ExcelPremium wrote: How long did it take you guys to DL the update? Its taking me 4-5 hours.. WTF
About 17 mins on my laptop's wifi. the first time i tried it I got some 9006 error and I had to redownload it. I would have flipped if I had to wait 4-5 hours to dl it again. About 17 mins each time.

To get rid of the 9006 error, I temporarily disabled my Avast Antivirus. Worked like a charm.
Feb 3, 2011
302 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
I hate it!!! Wish I hadn't downloaded it. I'm finding that RFD freezes a lot on me when I'm trying to post. Never had this issue before IOS 8.
Sep 14, 2009
955 posts
443 upvotes
I like it. The feature I use the most is double-tapping the home button to bring up my favourites/most recent contacts. very easy to message/phone from that. However, my battery life is running down faster and I've barely touched it today. I'll see if I can turn a few more things off, but I'll have to do some more investigating. Just very small details.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
toodlepip wrote: I hate it!!! Wish I hadn't downloaded it. I'm finding that RFD freezes a lot on me when I'm trying to post. Never had this issue before IOS 8.
|
|
v
EugW wrote: Luckily you can still downgrade to 7.1.2 too, if you decide iOS 8 is too slow. Or at least you could as of yesterday. (I downgraded my iPad 2 back to iOS 7.1.2 a few days ago, but others downgraded over the weekend.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)