Cell Phones

(iOS & Android) Citrix Convoi app $10/m unlimited MMS/LD to Canada and the U.S.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2016 5:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes

(iOS & Android) Citrix Convoi app $10/m unlimited MMS/LD to Canada and the U.S.

A $10/monthly subscription fee was suddenly introduced for new users. (The app was previously free, so my interest has diminished). The target audience is for businesses.

Convoi Facebook
Convoi Twitter

Unforuntately, there are no current plans for Blackberry development.

http://convoi-app.com/

iOS (officially released and free in the app store)

1. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/citrix- ... d761556923

Android (currently in beta)

ios-android-citrix-convoi-app-free-cell ... st24805477
techfox wrote:
Jan 9th, 2016 1:32 am
If anyone wants the 0.1.0.85-beta APK, you can download it here. http://www.techfox.ca/convoi
I'm not sure if you can register or not (as I've already used my # to register).

At the moment, Citrix is no longer accepting new beta applications. When the app is officially released for Android, it will be free. It's also possible Citrix will offer open up beta applications in the future. Stay tuned.

2. The app appears to be in beta for Android: https://plus.google.com/communities/109 ... 7085028460

Join the beta group: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... onvoi/join

At the moment, Citrix is no longer accepting new beta applications. When the app is officially released for Android, it will be free. It's also possible Citrix will offer open up beta applications in the future. Stay tuned.

Unlike Google Hangouts and Google Voice, you can obtain a local Canadian cell phone number to use for calling and texting. You can also choose a U.S. phone number if you wish.

Unlike Google Hangouts and Google Voice, you can use regular airtime minutes, if the Convoi phone number you choose is normally free to call with your provider's cellular plan, to make long distance calls to anywhere within Canada and the U.S. for free using regular cellular minutes from within the Convoi app. Or you can use cellular data and Wi-Fi to place free VoIP calls to anywhere within Canada and the U.S. I suggest choosing a Convoi phone number that you can place calls to or receive calls from for free with your cellular plan, unless you only wish to use data to make or receive calls (in which case, go ahead and pick any area code you want).

Convoi lets you call and text, including MMS (picture only, at the moment), anywhere within Canada and the U.S. for free. Note that at the time of this post, MMS is not available in the Android beta app.

- includes visual voicemail with transcription

The only caveat is you must make or receive a call or text every 29 days to keep your phone number active--unless you pay.

http://convoi-app.com/faq
What is Citrix Convoi?

Citrix Convoi adds a second line to your iPhone. Use it for business or just as a second line so you don't have to give out your personal cell phone number any longer. Call. Text. Voicemail.

How do I get my second line?

Download the Convoi app and follow the steps to start your 7-day free trial. You will be asked for your name and the mobile phone number associated with your iPhone. You'll get the opportunity to choose most any area code in the US or Canada for your Convoi number. The area code you choose does not have to match the current area code of your cell phone number. (Great way to make your business look bigger and/or appear local in another city! Sales people love Convoi.)

Can I sign-up with something other than my iPhone phone number?

Please use your iPhone mobile phone number when you sign up. Using anything other than your iPhone number could cause you to miss calls, and we wouldn’t want that.

What area codes are available?

We will do our best to get you the area code that you request. However, some area codes in certain areas are not available at any given moment. Examples of some depleted area codes are Toronto (416), Phoenix (602), New York City (212). Also, we do not currently offer area codes in Alaska or Puerto Rico, sorry.

Can I port in a number?

No, not currently. We hope to offer porting in numbers soon.

What's included in the 7-day free trial?

Everything! During the 7-day free trial, we give you a fully working mobile phone number with unlimited access to all features. This includes unlimited calls, texts, and picture messages. Custom voicemail and transcription and so much more. We want you to love using Convoi as much as our current users do so we're not holding anything back. (Read our app store reviews!).

Can I change my Convoi number?

If you plan to be a paying monthly Convoi subscriber and would prefer a different area code or prefix, please chat to us in app (Go to More -> Support Chat). Let us know what area code or prefix you are looking for and we can search to see if it's available in the system. We offer this capability to change your Convoi phone number as a one-time courtesy.

At the moment, we do not have the ability to offer vanity numbers (ie: (310) 555-SWIM) or choice of number strings in a particuliar order (ie: (310) 555-0000).

What happens to my Convoi phone number after the free trial ends?

After your free trial ends, your monthly Convoi subscription kicks in and you will continue to enjoy unlimited use of Convoi.
Who manages my subscription? Who bills my credit card?

Subscriptions are managed by Apple in your iTunes Account. Charges are done by Apple.

What's included in the Convoi monthly subscription?

Convoi keeps it simple. Unlike other apps, there are no credits to buy to then worry about rationing out for minutes or texts or sending picture messages. Convoi offers one unlimited use plan for a low monthly subscription price. You have a 2nd phone number with unlimited calling and texting with picture messaging to most any US/Canada phone number. You also have customizable voicemail greeting and voicemail with transcription, for one low monthly price.

Is there any sort of grace period for me retaining my Convoi phone number after my free trial ends? Or if my subscription lapses?

If a free trial or paid subscription lapses (examples such as auto-renew was turned off or Apple couldn't bill your credit card for whatever reason due to expiration date on credit card on file not updated, wrong credit card), we will hold your Convoi phone number and any incoming calls, texts or voicmails for you for 21 days. You will see badges counting up. We will send email and push notifications letting you know so you can turn Auto-Renewal back on. Please be responsive to the emails and notifications. Once the 21 days have passed, we will assume you no longer want your Convoi phone number and we will recycle it back to our pool of numbers. We will have no way of retrieving your Convoi phone number after the 21 days have passed. So please, keep your awesome Convoi phone number - don't let those subscriptions lapse!

How do I cancel my Convoi subscription?

We'd love to hear from you before you cancel. Please send us a support chat and let us know if there is anything we can answer or make better for you. We are always improving the app so your feedback is very valued.

However, if you do prefer to cancel, here's how:

Convoi subscriptions are billed through Apple and must be canceled through the iTunes App Store directly.

Go to your iPhone Settings -> iTunes and App Store. Select your Apple ID. Select View Apple ID. You'll be asked for your Apple ID. After entering, you will be taken to the App Store Account Settings page. Tap on Manage, then on Convoi. Set Auto-Renewal to OFF. You will continue to have Convoi service until the end of your current billing period.

After canceling and at the end of your current billing period, your Convoi phone number will no longer be in service. In other words, you will no longer be able to make/receive calls or send/receive texts with your Convoi phone number and our 21-day grace period will begin.

How do I make a call?

Immediately after signing up, you can start making calls. You can call anyone from your contacts (make sure you give the app access to contacts) or you can manually enter in a phone number on the keypad. The best part about Convoi is that the people you call will see your new Convoi number on their Caller ID when you call. (This keeps your personal cell number private!)

By default, we use your cell phone minutes to make and receive calls and simply mask your iPhone’s phone number. Keep in mind, while many cell phone plans offer unlimited minutes and long distance calling, each individual’s plan is different and users should be advised to check their own cell phone plan.

What if I chose an area code for My Convoi Number that is different than my iPhone’s area code? Will I incur costs on my cell phone bill?

As mentioned above, if you chose an area code for your Convoi number that is different than your iPhone’s area code, you may be making a long distance phone call. For many users, long distance calling in the US is unlimited and this will not be a problem. (Especially, since you were using your personal cell phone previously to make calls, we are now just masking your personal phone number.) However, this may not be true for all plans for all users. Convoi users should be advised to check their own cell phone plan for what’s covered and what is not.

What if I have a Canadian iPhone phone number, yet choose a US Convoi number? Will I incur long distance charges?

You may. Since all cell phone plans are different, users with Canadian iPhone phone numbers who choose a US area code in Convoi should be advised to check their personal cell phone plan as they could incur long distance charges when making outgoing calls.

For example: If your iPhone has a 778 area code (Vancouver) and you choose a 310 area code (Los Angeles) for your Convoi number, you may be making a long distance international call and this may be charged on your plan.

What if I have a US iPhone phone number, yet choose a Canadian Convoi number, will I incur long distance charges?

You may. Since all cell phone plans are different, users with US iPhone phone numbers who choose a Canadian area code in Convoi should be advised to check their personal cell phone plan as they could incur long distance charges when making outgoing calls.

Can I use WiFi for calling?

Sure. If you prefer not to use your phone minutes as described above, you can simply toggle on WiFi calling. Go to Settings and toggle Call via Wi-Fi. Convoi will first try to use WiFi for incoming and outgoing calls. If WiFi is not available, Convoi will try to use cellular data. Make sure you have very good WiFi or cellular data connection for audio quality to be at its best level when this is toggled on.

How do I receive calls?

Pretty easy. Start passing out your new Convoi phone number to others and have them call you on your new number. Put it on your website and put it on your business cards. People can immediately start calling you at this number.
Can I set custom ringtone for incoming calls from my Convoi Number? I want to know when it’s a work call versus a personal call.

As described above, when someone calls your Convoi number, the call is forwarded to your iPhone, so that on your iPhone it looks like a normal incoming phone call. However, unlike a normal phone call, you can choose what you would like to appear as the caller ID for incoming calls. You can either:

Have the caller's phone number appear as the calling party (so it looks like a normal phone call). Note: we cannot control the ringtone for this option.

Have “My Convoi Number” appear on the caller ID for incoming calls. This would allow you to visually distinguish an incoming call to your personal number from an incoming call to your Convoi number. Additionally, you will be prompted to set a custom ringtone for calls to your Convoi phone number. Modify the “My Convoi Number” contact entry and select from any of the ringtones on your phone. The selected ringtone will play when someone calls your Convoi number. You can also set a custom vibration.

To change this setting, in the Convoi app go to Settings -> Incoming Caller ID and follow the steps.

How do I use voicemail?

Be sure to set a custom greeting for your Convoi voicemail. Go to Settings -> Voicemail Greeting. This is separate than your personal voicemail on your phone. (It's better because not only is it recorded, but it's transcribed too so you can read it.) If you don't customize your greeting, callers will hear a default greeting of your number being said aloud: “5 5 5 - 5 5 5 - 1 2 3 4 is not available. Please leave a message.” Voicemails can be accessed from the Inbox. Tap on it to listen to it or read it. Back in the Inbox, swipe left to Call, Text or Delete a voicemail.

How do I use "Do Not Disturb"?

If you want your calls to go directly to voicemail, go to Settings and toggle on Do Not Disturb. (Great for nights and weekends!) Callers will hear 4 rings and then be sent to voicemail.

How do I send messages?

Like everything else in Convoi, sending messages is easy. Go to the Inbox and tap the Compose icon in top right to start a new message. You can also send and receive photos. To reply to a message you received, just tap the message in the Inbox, compose your reply, and hit Send. Or swipe left, and tap on Text. You can also send a message back from most anything – from voicemails, from recent calls. Super convenient.

How do I receive messages?

Other people can text you at your Convoi phone number. Text messages sent to your Convoi number appear in your Inbox.
How do I block a phone number from calling or texting me any further?

From the Inbox or Recent Calls, swipe left, tap More and then tap Block. Once a number is blocked, you will not receive phone calls or texts from that number. If you decide you want to unblock a number, simply tap on Settings -> Blocked Number and find the number and swipe left and tap Unblock.

Does Convoi use cellular data?

Convoi requires access to a data network for things like populating the Inbox and Recent Calls, and sending & receiving text messages in the app. Although Convoi will use WiFi for these things if your iPhone is connected to a WiFi network, it will use cellular data to fetch this data if WiFi is not available.

If I delete and reinstall the app will I lose my number?

As long as your free trial or subscription is still active, no, you do not lose your number. Just re-install and re-launch the app and tap Sign In and we will give you your phone number back.

Can I pick or change the actual number?

No. We do not currently offer the ability to choose your number from a list of available numbers or select a number based on specific criteria.

If you do not use your Convoi phone number, your account may be deleted due to inactivity.

Why US and Canada only?

Currently, Convoi is only available in the US and Canada App Stores. If you have interest in another country, let us know.

Can I use Convoi when I'm traveling internationally?

Yes you can, as long as you've already downloaded and installed the app from the App Store in the US or Canada. Currently, calls and texts can be made/sent to US or Canada phone numbers only. You can receive calls and texts from international numbers.

Is there a way to chat with the Convoi team?

Yes! Please chat with us and let us know how we can help or features you'd like to see. Go to More -> Support Chat. We do our best to answer as fast as we can during our business hours Monday - Friday, 8AM – 6PM PST.

206 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
8882 posts
2011 upvotes
So what exactly is the difference between this, FPL and google voice? I know FPL only costs 70$ (used to be 50) one time cost and thats it (+25 if you want to port number).

Fongo is also owned by FPL and I currently use that on my cell and it's free but the voice quality is quite poor (echos, etc). Is this better?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5372 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks, but it's a bit confusing. My wife has a non-local number so I can't call her because I don't have Canada wide/LD. I put the app on her phone and generated a local number, so when I call that number, it gets forwarded to her real number. Could I get charged LD due to this? I wouldn't think so.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 3:30 pm
Thanks, but it's a bit confusing. My wife has a non-local number so I can't call her because I don't have Canada wide/LD. I put the app on her phone and generated a local number, so when I call that number, it gets forwarded to her real number. Could I get charged LD due to this? I wouldn't think so.
No, but why wouldn't you just install the app on your phone so that you can call her for free anyway? Does she not live in Canada or the U.S.? It's free to call anywhere within Canada or the U.S. using the app just using cellular airtime provided you pick a local Convoi number.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5372 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
Webslinger wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 4:12 pm
No, but why wouldn't you just install the app on your phone so that you can call her for free anyway? Does she not live in Canada or the U.S.? It's free
to call anywhere within Canada or the U.S. using the app.
Because calling via voip apps are always slow/unstable. I already use hangouts and fongo for LD calls. None of which are as fast as the native app, so this helps.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 4:17 pm
Because calling via voip apps are always slow/unstable.
Provided your Convoi phone number is in the same area code (or a free call, normally, for you) as your regular smartphone number, regular cellular calls placed using the Convoi app (using the "phone call" method) are free. I'm of the opinion the Convoi app is calling a local access number before the call goes out over its network, making the long distance call free. Regular cellular calls are not unstable for me.

I already use hangouts and fongo for LD calls. None of which are as fast as the native app, so this helps.
Yeah, I have those apps installed as well. I use Fongo Mobile primarily as a dedicated incoming fax number.
Aug 7, 2010
202 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
so far so good for me
wonder how easy it would be to ditch this number and have another one assigned down the road
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
Y.M.C.M.B wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 4:45 pm
so far so good for me
wonder how easy it would be to ditch this number and have another one assigned down the road
You have to not use it for 29 days to lose the number, I think. I'm not sure if you can then get a new one after losing it. Maybe ask support staff from within the app.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1537 posts
277 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 4:28 pm
You don't need to use data if you don't want with this app. Nothing unstable for me with regular cellular calls
If your plan doesn't have LD included, you will get charged for calls made over cellular, except when you do it over VOIP by turning on WIFI...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2341 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice. Thanks op. Few apps exist out there but none do mms
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3264 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2015 5:43 pm
If your plan doesn't have LD included, you will get charged for calls made over cellular, except when you do it over VOIP by turning on WIFI...
No. Provided your Convoi phone number is in the same area code as your regular smartphone number, phone calls placed using the Convoi app are free. I'm of the opinion the Citrix app is calling a local access number before the call goes out over its network, making the long distance call free.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)