Cell Phones

(iOS & Android) Citrix Convoi app $10/m unlimited MMS/LD to Canada and the U.S.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2016 5:14 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1695 posts
467 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: Not having to use data if you don't want to

And I feel being able to call and text to anywhere in the U.S. for free is a pretty big deal

But Rogers One lets you do video messaging, which you can't do with Convoi.
Fair enough :)
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1695 posts
467 upvotes
I gave in and "gave" them my number for free LD to US and text.. :)

I also set it up on an old iPhone with the app.. now all my phones ring at once.. heh
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: I gave in and "gave" them my number for free LD to US and text.. :)
lol yeah

I've been enjoying the fact that I don't have to use data when I'm in an weak signal area on 3G.
Penalty Box
Dec 30, 2013
106 posts
40 upvotes
VANCOUVER
If I do not use the account for 30 days, will I get a new number if I sign up again?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
dreamer101 wrote: If I do not use the account for 30 days, will I get a new number if I sign up again?
No clue. Best to ask their support team from directly within the app.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2991 posts
2815 upvotes
+1000000 upvotes
Link isn't working...
techfox wrote: If anyone wants the 0.1.0.85-beta APK, you can download it here. http://www.techfox.ca/convoi
I'm not sure if you can register or not (as I've already used my # to register).

One annoying thing about Convoi is the inability to reject/decline incoming calls. It just keeps ringing until the calling party hangs up, or you answer. I guess that's why they're in beta.
Always buy now & think later, or else you'll regret your decision forever.
The first rule of RFD is to not talk about RFD or call customer service to ask about price errors.
The second rule of RFD is to not forget about the first rule.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
signed up, worth trying out. Already use fongo.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
How's it compared to FreeTone? It has free SMS and voice, I don't think FreeTone has short 29 days keep alive limit like Convoi.
Jan 13, 2002
499 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
82 wrote: How's it compared to FreeTone? It has free SMS and voice, I don't think FreeTone has short 29 days keep alive limit like Convoi.
FreeTone does not offer Canadian phone numbers, and you can only SMS/call numbers in USA, not to Canada.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
fredder wrote: FreeTone does not offer Canadian phone numbers, and you can only SMS/call numbers in USA, not to Canada.
They do, I just used it yesterday from Asia to call home using data and I have dedicated local number. Fongo works too but it doesn't have free SMS.
Jan 13, 2002
499 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
82 wrote: They do, I just used it yesterday from Asia to call home using data and I have dedicated local number. Fongo works too but it doesn't have free SMS.
I stand corrected, I must have been looking at an old description when they didn't yet have Canadian numbers.

It says this in its description though: For inbound calls to your personal number, the first five hundred minutes are complimentary, with the ability to receive calls to your FreeTone number for a minimal extension fee
Jan 28, 2010
416 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
82 wrote: How's it compared to FreeTone? It has free SMS and voice, I don't think FreeTone has short 29 days keep alive limit like Convoi.
you're missing that this is not "VOIP-only" app. you can use voip as any other app, but t also offers free* calls over your cellular network.

*as long as you have one area code for free calls in your cell pone plan.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
I see, so this is like the Google Voice for Canadian. I don't think you are making free call over the cellular network, you are just getting free call-forwarding service. Just like you said "*as long as you have one area code for free calls in your cell pone plan."
CanadaDealSeeker wrote: you're missing that this is not "VOIP-only" app. you can use voip as any other app, but t also offers free* calls over your cellular network.

*as long as you have one area code for free calls in your cell pone plan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
82 wrote: How's it compared to FreeTone?
- No ads

- Not limited to 500 free inbound minutes

- Can use regular cellular airtime to make free calls

- no "in app purchases" are available
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
82 wrote: I see, so this is like the Google Voice for Canadian. I don't think you are making free call over the cellular network
You are making free calls using regular cellular airtime provided you can call your Convoi phone number for free. You are using cellular airtime--not data when "phone calls" is selected for the dialing method.

If you're saying once the call reaches Citrix's network, the call is VoIP, that may be true, but the point is the user does not have to deal with flaky cellular data (especially 3G in weak signal areas) if he or she doesn't want to.
Jan 28, 2010
416 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
82 wrote: I see, so this is like the Google Voice for Canadian. I don't think you are making free call over the cellular network, you are just getting free call-forwarding service. Just like you said "*as long as you have one area code for free calls in your cell pone plan."
from consumer point of view, you are making free calls over cellular network.
but form technical perspective, yes it would be like call forwarding (but not strictly call forwarding) where you're dialing one number (using cellular network) and delegating it to connect to other party on your behalf.
but the point here is that the way you initiate/connect to Convoi server is purely over cellular. How convoi connects to other party (voip or otherwise), that is another thing.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1579 posts
1815 upvotes
Montreal
Not sure to get everything clear, but what is the difference between that and Fido Wifi service on iPhone, except having a second number ?

When I am somewhere else than in Canada, I just have to turn on the option, then I can make (to CAN numbers) or receive (from anywhere) calls on my cell for free, and send text to CAN numbers for free
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
ben85deals wrote: except having a second number
Having a secondary number is one of the perks for privacy.

When I am somewhere else than in Canada, I just have to turn on the option, then I can make (to CAN numbers) or receive (from anywhere) calls on my cell for free, and send text to CAN numbers for free

You can call and text anywhere to the U.S. for free too and obtain a U.S. (or Canadian) phone number if you wish.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2014
1579 posts
1815 upvotes
Montreal
Webslinger wrote: Having a secondary number is one of the perks for privacy.

You can call and text anywhere to the U.S. for free too and obtain a U.S. (or Canadian) phone number if you wish.
oh now I love the free calls to the US thing :-D thanks !!
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10226 posts
3142 upvotes
Montreal
ben85deals wrote: Not sure to get everything clear, but what is the difference between that and Fido Wifi service on iPhone, except having a second number ?

Calling and MMS/texting to the United States FREE with my Convoi number.
Privacy (this second number ACTS like a Mobile number, people can text you MMS you). Great for first dates that go sour :)

I've changed all my food ordering to this new free mobile number. You'll also do this after reading this:
http://www.citynews.ca/2015/11/12/pizza ... -customer/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)