Cell Phones

iOS10 Beta officially out today!!!(updated) -> 10.0.2

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2016 9:40 am
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
122 upvotes
I'll have to upgrade my phone before getting a chance to experience iOS7 (I have a 3GS :( )

From some pics I saw on websites, it looks like they revamped the Reminder app so that it's now actually usable. I make heavy use out of To-Do/Reminder type apps (I'm currently using Any.Do) and would be happy if the native app is now just as functional as some of the 3rd party apps out there.

[IMG]http://assets.ilounge.com/images/articl ... ders/1.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
I am excited because if it makes memory management better then i am happy, esp with the 5s still having 1gb of mem. I also like the fact that lot of JB apps are further included into the ios, making jb'ing even less desirable.

As for innovation on the ios, i am not so sure; lot of things are right out of windows 7 on it. Too bad i don't have my 5 right now :(
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
1170 posts
242 upvotes
I think I am going to wait a few weeks or even a month before I download 7, I feel like its going to ruin the battery one my phone for some reason. anyone find any ill effects yet?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
discontd wrote: I think I am going to wait a few weeks or even a month before I download 7, I feel like its going to ruin the battery one my phone for some reason. anyone find any ill effects yet?
I heard the 1st few betas were bad for battery life but last couple were solid.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
I hope it's awesome on the 4s. Did not enjoy ios6 non-jailbreak. Can finally have an SBSettings-alternative permanently on ios7 :D
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
What do you guys think, will an iphone 4 be able to handle iOS 7 without getting unbearably slow?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
flamez1000 wrote: What do you guys think, will an iphone 4 be able to handle iOS 7 without getting unbearably slow?
Anand says not really. Usable but slow.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
ceredon wrote: Anand says not really. Usable but slow.
Thanks, probably not gonna update it then before selling it.

Also, +1 for the comment about the Android guy complaining about Apple's ugly UI.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
flamez1000 wrote: What do you guys think, will an iphone 4 be able to handle iOS 7 without getting unbearably slow?
It is slow, but it's already slow on iOS 6. In truth, I gave my iPhone 4 to my wife after installing iOS 6 because I found iOS 6 on it kinda laggy.

However, iOS 7 is in the same general ballpark for performance IMO. If you like the iPhone 4 with iOS 6, then you may like the iPhone 4 with iOS 7, cuz it's for the most part similar. It does lag a little bit more, but not that much more. Like I said above, I'm very pleasantly surprised by the performance of iOS 7 on the iPhone 4.

Note that Apple has turned off a lot of effects in iOS 7 specifically for the iPhone 4. I also wonder if turning on the "Reduce Motion" feature in the Accessibility options might also help a little bit. (I haven't checked. I don't have the phone with me.)
flamez1000 wrote: Thanks, probably not gonna update it then before selling it.
If you're selling it, yeah just leave it as is. But if you were to keep it, I'd recommend installing iOS 7.

My wife has no complaints about the speed of iOS 7 on her iPhone 4.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
I can't wait to upgrade! Not a huge fan of the new icons but love the new features. Probably wait until I get home to do it though.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
TomRFD wrote: I can't wait to upgrade! Not a huge fan of the new icons but love the new features. Probably wait until I get home to do it though.
Nods. It is odd that apple got rid of the 3d icons, i am not certain if i will like the flat w7/google design or not; only time will tell. Without using the ios7 my comment would be they should have re-worked the colour scheem or design the 3d icons instead of going flat.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
porksoda wrote: Nods. It is odd that apple got rid of the 3d icons, i am not certain if i will like the flat w7/google design or not; only time will tell. Without using the ios7 my comment would be they should have re-worked the colour scheem or design the 3d icons instead of going flat.
They really wanted to delve into the area of UI layers. Given the perception of depth created by both the skuemorphic 3D icons and layers, it was probably seen as overkill to have both.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
ceredon wrote: They really wanted to delve into the area of UI layers. Given the perception of depth created by both the skuemorphic 3D icons and layers, it was probably seen as overkill to have both.
Nods, good point. I am looking forward to using it, i probably will like it a lot as i liked the flat design of w7 a lot.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
...And it is installing now...
Sep 27, 2003
941 posts
336 upvotes
Earth
ceredon wrote: They really wanted to delve into the area of UI layers. Given the perception of depth created by both the skuemorphic 3D icons and layers, it was probably seen as overkill to have both.
Also it's no surprise since Jony Ive does not like the skuemorphic design. Source
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
ceredon wrote: ...And it is installing now...
...and the installed failed...

went from 6 minutes estimated time to 32 and the crapped out with an error after 7 minutes. Guess they are getting pretty hammered.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
ooo OTA is available! Not banking on it, gonna lag superhard.

How is ios7 on 4s btw, anyone know?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
It might be easier just to download the GM to your computer and then Option-Click the Update button in iTunes to update to iOS 7, without having to go through a restore.

BTW, I find it curious that iTunes 11.1 isn't available yet, because although you can install iOS 7 with 11.05, you can't actually sync with iTunes unless you have 11.1.
dragon_drift wrote: ooo OTA is available! Not banking on it, gonna lag superhard.

How is ios7 on 4s btw, anyone know?
The reviews on the 4S are that it's great, and I can confirm that it's great on the iPad 2 (which is the same CPU, albeit faster clocked).
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
EugW wrote:
If you're selling it, yeah just leave it as is. But if you were to keep it, I'd recommend installing iOS 7.

My wife has no complaints about the speed of iOS 7 on her iPhone 4.
Yeah, I already find it kinda slow on iOS6. Facebook and several other apps take forever to load. Just gonna leave it as is and let the buyer decide if he/she wants to update.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)