Tags:
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
217 posts
152 upvotes
GTA East - Durham

iPad Air - Worth Repairing?

I have an iPad Air Cell model, 128gb.
The screen had a single hairline crack but the unit functioned fine.

Made the mistake of not keeping it charged and it sat for about 6 months unused. Now it won’t charge it power up so my guess is the battery is pooched.

Apple’s website seems to say it will be about $400 to do both repairs.

My guess is a non Apple repair might run $250 and I have heard of sensitivity issues with non OEM screens.

At this point a new regular Wifi version (wouldn’t buy the cell featured) is about $589 pre tax.

Any point on fixing at this point?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
799 upvotes
Are you using the original charger? Try leaving it on overnight to see if it helps, otherwise yeah the battery might have gone below the "Safety" voltage so it's pooched.

Probably not worth repairing since a new iPad (6th Gen) starts at $549 for the 128GB version and is a much more powerful iPad.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31108 posts
2695 upvotes
Winnipeg
i'm not aware that battery die without been charged for half year
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16984 posts
3847 upvotes
Toronto
Non-OEM screens don't look as good, and the repairs aren't as reliable as from an authorized Apple service centre. Also, there is a good chance there will be new iPads released in the next three months. If so, the current models will go on sale at some stores.

As for the battery, definitely leave it plugged in overnight before declaring it dead.

If it truly has a dead battery, I personally wouldn't spend $250+ to fix everything, considering it has an ancient Apple A7 CPU and only 1 GB RAM.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 6:19 pm
i'm not aware that battery die without been charged for half year
Good lithium batteries can be referred to as 'smart batteries' where standard NiMH batteries are typically 'dumb' batteries. Lithium batteries typically have a battery management system (ie BMS) connected to it to help prevent it from burning up while charging and overdischarge (both in terms of drawing too much current and going too low). The problem is most of these BMS draw power from the lithium battery themselves. Once the lithium battery is close to empty, the BMS may 'shut down' as a way of protecting the user. Some BMS' are smart enough that when you apply power to it for charging, it will respond and power back up in order to charge the battery. Unfortunately, with others, once the BMS has shut down, you need to apply power to the BMS from the battery side of things for it to turn back on - applying power to the charge side of things does nothing.

So, if you leave an almost dead lithium battery sitting there for 6 months, there's a good chance that self-discharge of the battery and the power usage from the BMS will drop the power level of the battery so that the BMS shuts down. Hence, most OEMs will recommend that lithium batteries be stored at 80% of capacity so that you can go back and charge it later.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
EugW wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 6:57 pm
Non-OEM screens don't look as good, and the repairs aren't as reliable as from an authorized Apple service centre. Also, there is a good chance there will be new iPads released in the next three months. If so, the current models will go on sale at some stores.

As for the battery, definitely leave it plugged in overnight before declaring it dead.

If it truly has a dead battery, I personally wouldn't spend $250+ to fix everything, considering it has an ancient Apple A7 CPU and only 1 GB RAM.
I wouldn't say that non-OEM screens don't look as good but rather it's a crap shoot on what you are going to get. Some of the 'non-OEM' screens from older devices are actually recovered screens from OEM devices these days (ie recycled devices where the parts are savaged).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16984 posts
3847 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 7:12 pm
I wouldn't say that non-OEM screens don't look as good but rather it's a crap shoot on what you are going to get. Some of the 'non-OEM' screens from older devices are actually recovered screens from OEM devices these days (ie recycled devices where the parts are savaged).
Fair enough. However, while you might get a decent screen, as you know, what you are describing is actually an OEM screen that's been salvaged. Unfortunately, there's also a good chance you'll get a third party screen, and a lot of them just don't look as good. I'll admit I haven't seen too many iPad ones, but I've seen enough iPhone third party screens to know they just look "off". Good enough for basic usage, but sometimes it doesn't quite feel like a true iOS device.

IOW, for $250, he might be getting a lower end screen that looks slightly "off", with a third party battery which may not last as long, an ancient CPU, and only 1 GB RAM. Not worth it. Maybe worth it if it was only a $150 fix though.

If the fix is going to be $250+, I'd just recommend saving up the pennies and getting a new 2019 iPad when it's released. It will likely come with an A11 CPU, which is much, much faster than the A7, and importantly has hardware HEVC decode, and which will be supported for far longer. It also will probably come with 3 GB RAM too.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1794 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
If the screen isn't that bad.. try taking to Apple store... I had an iPad air that worked perfectly but wouldn't charge at all... More than 4 years old.. no warranty. Took to Apple store .. paid 129.99 and walked out with a new iPad air. With iPads they don't swap batteries but just swap the whole device for the price of a battery...

Not sure if the screen damage will impact their ability to do this though as ours was in perfect condition except the battery wouldn't charge.

EDIT: https://www.engadget.com/2010/03/13/dea ... sends-ano/

It's like that but 129.99 CAD..

Also I think the replacement model is iPad air... I.e. if you have an older model you'll end up with a better model...

I think it entirely depends on how bad the screen is.. but it's worth a try taking it to an Apple store.

They ran some diagnostic app which told them the battery was dead.. it took like 10 minutes.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11324 posts
4623 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
One thing no-one has talked about was getting an used iPad Air as a replacement. A quick look on craigslist in Vancouver shows a going price of $340 for the same model the OP has. Or they can move up to the Air 2 without cellular with the same amount of storage for $340 as well.

BTW> On Kijiji for the GTA, there's a vendor that is replacing cracked digitizers for $69 for an Air so the price the OP was quoted is probably way too much in the first place.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16984 posts
3847 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 8:16 pm
One thing no-one has talked about was getting an used iPad Air as a replacement. A quick look on craigslist in Vancouver shows a going price of $340 for the same model the OP has. Or they can move up to the Air 2 without cellular with the same amount of storage for $340 as well.
I wouldn't get anything less than an Air 2.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2017
217 posts
152 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Thanks and thanked for the replies folks!

I guess first stop is the Apple store because my wife’s MacBook got the hard drive recall a moth or so ago that needs to be done.
Hard limit on their fix I will set at $150 and if I go non oem - less than $100.

I think based on all your comments that I will not do the screen - only the battery.

The hairline crack was not a bother and didn’t affect the functioning.

I don’t use it that much so if I can get to where it was before it will suit me for a while yet.

Thanks again for all the knowledge and advice!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8036 posts
553 upvotes
Scarborough
geogolem wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 8:04 pm
If the screen isn't that bad.. try taking to Apple store... I had an iPad air that worked perfectly but wouldn't charge at all... More than 4 years old.. no warranty. Took to Apple store .. paid 129.99 and walked out with a new iPad air. With iPads they don't swap batteries but just swap the whole device for the price of a battery...
I did the same thing with my daughter's 5 years old iPad mini 2 last week. A new iPad will last another 5 years hopefully ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1794 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
Menace wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 10:35 pm
I did the same thing with my daughter's 5 years old iPad mini 2 last week. A new iPad will last another 5 years hopefully ;)
Ya.. and then... Can do the same thing.. but will likely get a newer model (not the newest at the time... But likely better than you got this time)
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1586 posts
337 upvotes
Be careful when repairing. When using suction or prying technique to get the back off, that hairline crack might become even bigger. On the other hand..... the device is working as is already. I would exhaust all alternatives to revive the battery first.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
799 upvotes
dookiemoore wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:56 pm
Thanks and thanked for the replies folks!

I guess first stop is the Apple store because my wife’s MacBook got the hard drive recall a moth or so ago that needs to be done.
Hard limit on their fix I will set at $150 and if I go non oem - less than $100.

I think based on all your comments that I will not do the screen - only the battery.

The hairline crack was not a bother and didn’t affect the functioning.

I don’t use it that much so if I can get to where it was before it will suit me for a while yet.

Thanks again for all the knowledge and advice!
The only thing is apple may not service if there is screen damage (i.e. you must fix it before they will agree to battery service even if it's not the cause for failure), but since it's "hairline" just hope the genius doesn't really notice it?