• Oct 18th, 2017 6:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto

iPad Pro for Adobe LR/PS

I'm just wondering if anyone is using the pro apps to increase their workflow?

If the iPad Pro is a capable device with the Apple Pencil?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6745 posts
970 upvotes
You probably have better luck with a new Surface, seems to be better designed for the pen and full version of Adobe LR/PS in mind.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 8:32 am
I'm just wondering if anyone is using the pro apps to increase their workflow?

If the iPad Pro is a capable device with the Apple Pencil?
iOS is a closed system unless jailbroken, can you load Presets into Lr and Actions into Ps on iPad Pro?
Fwiw, I use Snapseed on my iPhone, it's pretty good and feels like a combo of basic Lr/Ps, on mobile at least. I can't imagine drag/drop textures and overlays easy on iOS because they need to filed somewhere. I also might be set in my ways using a Wacom for heavier Ps work.
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of Apple, I try to avoid their products as much as possible but damn they make amazing products.

I recently bought an iPad Pro for that purpose. Currently testing it to retouch a full wedding and it's looking good for now. I might end up selling my Macbook Pro retina 15.

Positive:
- Lightroom Mobile is MUCH faster. Zooming in and working on ajustments is much faster
- Using the selective brush tool with the iPad pen is amazing
- If you are subscribed to Adobe CC, all RAW files are directly synced to your main PC and only smart previews remain on your iPad

Negative:
- Have to upload raw on iPad before uploading to Lightroom
- Some options missing, there are the ones I miss but found alternatives
  • Presets: you can apply the preset on a synced pictures and then copy/paste the settings on new photos instead.
  • Skin smoothing: you can just apply the brush and reduce clarity, it's the same thing
  • Healing brush: You can use Photoshop Fix for iPad for that and there is direct access from the Lightroom app

Also have Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and did not have time to play with it enough but looks powerful enough to replace Photoshop for my advanced needs.

Lightroom for PC/Mac is annoyingly slow no matter how powerful your system is, that's why I did not go for Surface Pro.
Last edited by aerok on Sep 25th, 2017 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:22 am
I can't imagine drag/drop textures and overlays easy on iOS because they need to filed somewhere. I also might be set in my ways using a Wacom for heavier Ps work.
If you use Affinity Photo, drag/dropping textures and overlay is actually super easy. And the Apple Pen is actually very pleasant to use, the crazy low latency makes it somewhat better than Wacom.
May 5, 2010
814 posts
214 upvotes
Are you wondering this because of the Northrup?

They seem to love their ipad pro. Never tried it myself nor the surface, but personally, I'm more inclined to the surface. More freedom because of the full Windows OS.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:32 am
Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of Apple, I try to avoid their products as much as possible but damn they make amazing products.

I recently bought an iPad Pro for that purpose. Currently testing it to retouch a full wedding and it's looking good for now. I might end up selling my Macbook Pro retina 15.

Positive:
- Lightroom Mobile is MUCH faster. Zooming in and working on ajustments is much faster
- Using the selective brush tool with the iPad pen is amazing
- If you are subscribed to Adobe CC, all RAW files are directly synced to your main PC and only smart previews remain on your iPad

Negative:
- Have to upload raw on iPad before uploading to Lightroom
- Some options missing, there are the ones I miss but found alternatives
  • Presets: you can apply the preset on a synced pictures and then copy/paste the settings on new photos instead.
  • Skin smoothing: you can just apply the brush and reduce clarity, it's the same thing
  • Healing brush: You can use Photoshop Fix for iPad for that and there is direct access from the Lightroom app

Also have Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and did not have time to play with it enough but looks powerful enough to replace Photoshop for my advanced needs.

Lightroom for PC/Mac is annoyingly slow no matter how powerful your system is, that's why I did not go for Surface Pro.
aerok wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:34 am
If you use Affinity Photo, drag/dropping textures and overlay is actually super easy. And the Apple Pen is actually very pleasant to use, the crazy low latency makes it somewhat better than Wacom.
Well I saw their review, before the iOS 11 update and the recent Adobe update.

The recent reviews on forums and YouTube, show that the apps have been really optimized for the iPad Pro.

With Creative Cloud, it really increases productivity and workflow.

Workarounds are needed for presets, but it's not a game breaker in comparison to how efficient the app is, especially with the precision of the Pencil on the new Pros.

I ordered one last since Rogers just updated their tablet selection to include the new 10.5" Pro 256.

Ordered a Pencil and Keyboard today so looking forward to how it all plays together.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9838 posts
4209 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Hey aerok, this for mobile reasons? I'm editing a wedding right now and doing it in my grey room (light controlled). I've got undiagnosed ADD lol, desktop windows open playing youtube music, check/replying email, watching a video seminar in the corner, have reference images open for white balance/colour, and have RFD open replying to you lol. I'm on a 27" 5K iMac and wouldn't be able to do that in the space of an iPad Pro. When I ordered my refurb iMac, I lucked out and Apple sent me one with the best CPU which they sometimes do with whatever is in stock so it's zippy with anything I do in Lr/Ps. I don't usually edit camera photos on vacation (just iPhone) maybe an iPad Pro is a great way!
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 11:33 am
Hey aerok, this for mobile reasons? I'm editing a wedding right now and doing it in my grey room (light controlled). I've got undiagnosed ADD lol, desktop windows open playing youtube music, check/replying email, watching a video seminar in the corner, have reference images open for white balance/colour, and have RFD open replying to you lol. I'm on a 27" 5K iMac and wouldn't be able to do that in the space of an iPad Pro. When I ordered my refurb iMac, I lucked out and Apple sent me one with the best CPU which they sometimes do with whatever is in stock so it's zippy with anything I do in Lr/Ps. I don't usually edit camera photos on vacation (just iPhone) maybe an iPad Pro is a great way!
Not really mobile reason, I just enjoy editing pics while sitting on my couch watching tv shows drinking beer Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. Unfortunately cannot work with a reference image, that would be great but usually don't have trouble matching all my photos.

I find that even with a beast of a workstation, Lightroom can be annoyingly slow, everything is just so much smoother on the iPad, even with heavy RAW files.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:28 pm
Not really mobile reason, I just enjoy editing pics while sitting on my couch watching tv shows drinking beer Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. Unfortunately cannot work with a reference image, that would be great but usually don't have trouble matching all my photos.

I find that even with a beast of a workstation, Lightroom can be annoyingly slow, everything is just so much smoother on the iPad, even with heavy RAW files.
Thank you for this insight!

I'll share my own experiences this week once the Pro arrives.
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:36 pm
Thank you for this insight!

I'll share my own experiences this week once the Pro arrives.
Most photographers look into the iPad Pro for a mobile alternative, I'm just crazy enough to completely replace my main workstation. Face With Tears Of Joy

It's not there for video though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:43 pm
Most photographers look into the iPad Pro for a mobile alternative, I'm just crazy enough to completely replace my main workstation. Face With Tears Of Joy

I agree, I have a beast rig with 64 GBs of RAM and i7, and LR still crawls at times.

I found the same on my Razer before upgrading to the new Mac Pro.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2404 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 12:43 pm

How do you upload your raw files to the iPad?

Over cloud or SD Lightning Adapter or Kingston MobileLite?
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:38 pm
How do you upload your raw files to the iPad?

Over cloud or SD Lightning Adapter or Kingston MobileLite?
Tried over cloud, didn't like it so now using SD adapter.

Might buy the My Passport Wireless Pro also but it doesn't preview RAW files -.-
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1874 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Question to those using iPad to edit photos.

What brightness level do you? should you? set the iPad to?