Tags:
None
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
G77 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 9:05 am
Bottom line is, they really don't care about annoying people by changing prices to reflect currency.... They do the same in the UK and that's double the market size of Canada.
Exactly, I think a few prices will rise in March.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3343 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor
Guys, is the YouTube app actually playing videos in 1440p as selectable as a quality option? Certainly the UI doesn't look like it has been updated for the Pro, but the 1440p option is there on 4K videos and they do appear to look rather sharp but don't know if that's just a benefit of downscaling from a higher res...

Here's an example - http://youtu.be/vSF0jiKodDU

Another - http://youtu.be/WteZwxsvICc
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13642 posts
2138 upvotes
Toronto
Dunno, but most 4K videos look better even in 1080p mode, mainly because most (but not all) 4K videos are 4K to emphasize video quality.

1080p can look great, but most don't because 1080p is default for everything now, including really crappy stuff.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3343 posts
414 upvotes
Windsor
EugW wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 8:00 pm
Dunno, but most 4K videos look better even in 1080p mode, mainly because most (but not all) 4K videos are 4K to emphasize video quality.

1080p can look great, but most don't because 1080p is default for everything now, including really crappy stuff.
Yea, that's what I can't figure out - whether it's better because of that or because it is actually displaying a higher res.... Either way, they look pretty damn good!

EDIT: Someone here claims to have taken screenshots of the same frame at 1080p and 1440p and says they can see a difference - http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/you ... o.1945583/
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
G77 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 7:41 pm
Guys, is the YouTube app actually playing videos in 1440p as selectable as a quality option? Certainly the UI doesn't look like it has been updated for the Pro, but the 1440p option is there on 4K videos and they do appear to look rather sharp but don't know if that's just a benefit of downscaling from a higher res...

Here's an example - http://youtu.be/vSF0jiKodDU

Another - http://youtu.be/WteZwxsvICc
You are correct. The IPP can't display full 4K resolution so it must be downscaled by the app. Nice to have the option though.

Movies and shows loaded on the IPP look and sound fantastic on it. I don't use the IPP for that but when I need it to it is nice to know the quality is there.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13642 posts
2138 upvotes
Toronto
Apple has removed support for navigation of iOS with Apple Pencil in iOS 9.3. So, if you're used to using your iPad Pro with Apple Pencil for everything, you'll be quite irritated to find out you can't do that with iOS 9.3. You'll have to go back to using your finger for a lot of stuff.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
EugW wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2016 9:00 pm
Apple has removed support for navigation of iOS with Apple Pencil in iOS 9.3. So, if you're used to using your iPad Pro with Apple Pencil for everything, you'll be quite irritated to find out you can't do that with iOS 9.3. You'll have to go back to using your finger for a lot of stuff.
I read about that earlier today. It's pretty disappointing news. I hope Apple will reconsider their decision before iOS 9.3 is finalized.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
EugW wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 5:25 pm
HEVC playback is hugely improved in Infuse 4. It went from completely unusable with a test file in Infuse 3.6.2 to perfectly smooth in Infuse 4. Here's my video comparing the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAeFtubVu0

Note that this is on the iPad Air 2. Infuse 3.6.2 HEVC playback might have been better on the iPad Pro.
Is HEVC supported by the iPad Air 2's hardware or it's software base decoding?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
G77 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 8:50 pm
Couldn't hold out any longer, bought a 32GB wifi today.... Originally I was going to wait to see what the Air 3 offered, but with the inevitable price bump, I thought I may as well get the Pro now.

The size difference is taking some getting used to (coming from iPad 3).... Although I tried in stores obviously, it's not till you get it home and start using it that you realize just how big it really is!

Annoying Safari bug I've noticed, after a while web pages start to reload as you scroll... If you close Safari and reopen, it goes away again for a while...
I doubt the Air 3 is going to have 4GB of RAM. That's a huge advantage for the iPad Pro.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
macaximx wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 8:47 am
Apple raised prices on a number of products after the March event last year. This included MacBooks and iPhone 6 models that were released in Sept. 2014. I expect the Air 3 will see a raise in price in Canada.
Yep and I expect them to do it again this year. This motivated me to speed up the purchase of the iPhone 6s Plus and MacBook Pro last year. iPad sales are falling so Tim Cook will have something to think about with respect to pricing.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
G77 wrote:
Bottom line is, they really don't care about annoying people by changing prices to reflect currency.... They do the same in the UK and that's double the market size of Canada.
I don't see higher prices affecting Apple's bottom line in the long run. Apple is pretty much a luxury brand and their customers will be able to pay up if the prices go up. Apple have never targeted people in the lower socio-economic class and they never will.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
239 upvotes
ON
G77 wrote:
Bottom line is, they really don't care about annoying people by changing prices to reflect currency.
Why would Apple even consider charging Canadians 30% less for their products than the price they charge in their own country?
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
GenerationE wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 6:49 am
Why would Apple even consider charging Canadians 30% less for their products than the price they charge in their own country?
Totally agree.

BTW I am impressed Microsoft offers Office 365 at the same prices in Canada. Not a Microsoft fan but at least they are keeping prices down.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1647 posts
247 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 5:29 am
iPad sales are falling so Tim Cook will have something to think about with respect to pricing.
Yeah, the raising of canadian prices has nooooothing to do with how much our dollar has tanked. Sure, sales aren't skyrocketing but don't think for a second that has anything to do with how the canadian pricing is vs US pricing.
Jul 16, 2008
215 posts
21 upvotes
Halifax
According to The Verge, Apple has confirmed full Pencil functionality will be restored in the next beta.

"We believe a finger will always be the primary way users navigate on an iPad, but we understand that some customers like to use Apple Pencil for this as well and we've been working on ways to better implement this while maintaining compatibility during this latest beta cycle," a spokesperson said. "We will add this functionality back in the next beta of iOS 9.3."