• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 10:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2754 posts
192 upvotes
Let the unboxing begin! Bought the 2nd gen 12.9, pencil, and Logitech keyboard today. Didn't really love the Logitech keyboard, but not much choice. Hope the 12.9/Logitech combo isn't too unwieldy, but will find out soon enough I guess!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2754 posts
192 upvotes
Have been playing with everything the last couple of days and really like the iPad. It's big, so not quite as portable (as in I'm not sure I'll be carrying it with me everywhere) as what I'm used to - I've been using an iPad Air 2. The big screen is awesome for doing work stuff or using split screen, but if I'm honest with myself, unless iOS 11 really delivers, I could have probably stuck with the air 2.

The Logitech keyboard is not growing on me. It's just not that stable unless it's on a flat surface. It's ok but I wish there was a clamshell option like the Zaggs I've used in the past.

I should probably start a new thread for this question but I'm lazy so... What do you all use for on vacations for ereaders? There's no way I'm taking this new iPad to the pool or the beach. Kobo has a waterproof reader, but when I look at how they work on YouTube they look brutal, pages don't render instantly etc. Kindle Paperwhite seems the same (though it might be worth it for only $139?).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23235 posts
2065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you still have your Air 2, that's what I would use for portability.

I looked at the 12.9" iPad and went with the iPad Pro 9.7 because it was smaller and more portable.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2754 posts
192 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 7:45 am
If you still have your Air 2, that's what I would use for portability.

I looked at the 12.9" iPad and went with the iPad Pro 9.7 because it was smaller and more portable.
Was thinking of using the air 2 as well - will have to check how it does in bright sunlight, but I'd be kind of upset if it got damaged by the water. Still, it seems like it would provide a more pleasant reading experience than a Kobo or Kindle... Just can't get over how much they seem to stutter and lag compared to an iPad. Is it just me?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23235 posts
2065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
random pattern wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 7:29 pm
Was thinking of using the air 2 as well - will have to check how it does in bright sunlight, but I'd be kind of upset if it got damaged by the water. Still, it seems like it would provide a more pleasant reading experience than a Kobo or Kindle... Just can't get over how much they seem to stutter and lag compared to an iPad. Is it just me?
It is not you. I actually hate iOS. Not a fan. I much prefer Android

But, there are no good Android tablets. Not a single one. iOS may have its faults, but it is stable and it works. The iPad has replaced my notebook for work. I use Jump to remote into my desktop to access Windows
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2754 posts
192 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 7:40 pm
It is not you. I actually hate iOS. Not a fan. I much prefer Android

But, there are no good Android tablets. Not a single one. iOS may have its faults, but it is stable and it works. The iPad has replaced my notebook for work. I use Jump to remote into my desktop to access Windows
Replacing laptop is why I bought the 12.9. I don't know about Jump but we use Citrix and when I remote in everything seems to tighten up a bit (as in looks smaller on the screen). The big screen is awesome for remoting in now! But (obviously!), it's big!

I don't particularly love iOS either, or actually even macOS, but work supports iOS and now at home we have so many Apple products it's hard to break free!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2754 posts
192 upvotes
Oh I should say that having said all that, I have loved the last 2 iPads I've owned, and I know I'll be happy with this one too...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23235 posts
2065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
random pattern wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 8:07 pm
Replacing laptop is why I bought the 12.9. I don't know about Jump but we use Citrix and when I remote in everything seems to tighten up a bit (as in looks smaller on the screen). The big screen is awesome for remoting in now! But (obviously!), it's big!

I don't particularly love iOS either, or actually even macOS, but work supports iOS and now at home we have so many Apple products it's hard to break free!
My whole household is on iPads and iPhones

I'm the only one on Android

Best part about the iPad is the retina screen. Even on my 9.7", the resolution is better than my desktop monitor at work. When I remote in, I can see my entire screen with out having to scroll.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23186 posts
4836 upvotes
GTHA
random pattern wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 9:11 pm
Have been playing with everything the last couple of days and really like the iPad. It's big, so not quite as portable (as in I'm not sure I'll be carrying it with me everywhere) as what I'm used to - I've been using an iPad Air 2. The big screen is awesome for doing work stuff or using split screen, but if I'm honest with myself, unless iOS 11 really delivers, I could have probably stuck with the air 2.
When iOS 11 comes out these tablets are going to be more computer-y.

"iOS 11, an update that makes iOS 9’s multitasking additions look rudimentary and quaint. It adds a distinctly Mac-like application dock and dramatically changes how the device runs and interacts with multiple apps at the same time. The changes allow for much-improved "window" and file management, and you can easily drag-and-drop content between apps."

"any review of an iPad Pro running iOS 10 is going to feel unfinished. iOS 10 neither taxes nor takes full advantage of this hardware. The iOS 9-era multitasking features (nearly untouched in iOS 10) feel clunky and anachronistic two years in, especially with foreknowledge of the altogether more natural and macOS-esque improvements that are coming in a few short months."

from https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/r ... -software/
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13669 posts
3026 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
iOS 11 on the iPad is amazing. I actually think it’s very well done. And the beta 1 is unbelievably stable.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17306 posts
161 upvotes
YVR
Does anyone here think the 10.5" may be a bit too small for the Apple Pencil?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23235 posts
2065 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 10:40 pm
Does anyone here think the 10.5" may be a bit too small for the Apple Pencil?
Does a Post It note seem to small for a regular pen?

The size is irrelevant, you can doodle on any canvas