Cell Phones

iPhone 4: Glowing Red Dot Right Above Speaker?? Anyone Else see it??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2010 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto

iPhone 4: Glowing Red Dot Right Above Speaker?? Anyone Else see it??

Ok so I'm just noticing this for the first time. I was wondering if this is a sign of something wrong with my phone or its something I just haven't seen before. Right above the place you place your ear, whenever I make a call, I see a red dot suddenly start glowing. It can only be seen in the dark and with "Speaker" off.

I have a feeling this is just something that came with the 4.1 iOS update which fixed the proximity sensor, but just want to be on the safe side!
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2967 posts
2899 upvotes
Montreal
Why don't you take the picture of your iPhone screen and post here?

Press Power then Home button to take the iPhone screen picture...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
X360 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2010 8:40 pm
Why don't you take the picture of your iPhone screen and post here?

Press Power then Home button to take the iPhone screen picture...

It's not on the screen. It's right above the place you put your ear to listen to calls etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3587 posts
236 upvotes
Scarborough
isn't that the proximity sensor? not sure, but i have it too.... only happens when you make calls
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
GateGuardian wrote:
Oct 15th, 2010 9:52 pm
isn't that the proximity sensor? not sure, but i have it too.... only happens when you make calls

Not sure if thats the proximity sensor, I remember on my 3Gs, there were like 3 small circles to the right of the phone call speaker which I presumed to be the proximity sensor. Also I don't believe this was there before the 4.1 update. :S
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6341 posts
422 upvotes
6ix
Yeah i think your referring to the sensor. Does it only happen when you have your ear near the earpiece?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2010 10:43 pm
Yeah i think your referring to the sensor. Does it only happen when you have your ear near the earpiece?

Nope happens anytime you make a call as long as your not using speaker and the sensor is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah, it's there, for proximity. It's purposely cut out on the Otterbox Defender case.

I have 2 iPhone4's in the family and the one I got on launch is on 4.01 and does not have the red light (or it's LED is not bright at all).
The one I got a couple of weeks ago is on 4.1 and DOES have the red light during a call.

Neither suffers from the proximity issue.
May 27, 2007
15656 posts
3055 upvotes
Toronto
red dot right on the centre above the earphone speaker right?
thats the proximity sensor. turns on when you make a call (non-speaker mode)
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
zoolander wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 12:32 am
Yeah, it's there, for proximity. It's purposely cut out on the Otterbox Defender case.

I have 2 iPhone4's in the family and the one I got on launch is on 4.01 and does not have the red light (or it's LED is not bright at all).
The one I got a couple of weeks ago is on 4.1 and DOES have the red light during a call.

Neither suffers from the proximity issue.
AcidBomber wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 12:36 am
red dot right on the centre above the earphone speaker right?
thats the proximity sensor. turns on when you make a call (non-speaker mode)
diggler649 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 12:40 am
I have a red dot. Version 4.1.

Ok. So based off these comments, I'm assuming its safe to say that the 4.1 update caused the red dot which now causes the proximity sensor to function properly :)
Temp. Banned
Feb 16, 2005
13610 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
deal_with_singh wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 1:33 am
Ok. So based off these comments, I'm assuming its safe to say that the 4.1 update caused the red dot which now causes the proximity sensor to function properly :)

Correct, but I would still take it in to the apple store and try to get a replacement :P
driving to NS to move, be back in a weekish
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15372 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
Kakarot wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 9:26 am
Correct, but I would still take it in to the apple store and try to get a replacement :P

But there's nothing really wrong with the phone? The battery life is amazing, barely any dropped calls etc. The only problem I'm really having with the phone, is REALLY REALLY slow data connection, rogers really needs to improve their network.

If I get it replaced, it'll be with a refurb unit, which I would just end up selling it and buying a new one as I have problems using refurbs :S (just doesn't feel right :S). So with no real reason to get it replaced, I don't think I'll do it lol :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2838 posts
180 upvotes
Kingston
deal_with_singh wrote:
Oct 16th, 2010 12:04 pm
But there's nothing really wrong with the phone? The battery life is amazing, barely any dropped calls etc. The only problem I'm really having with the phone, is REALLY REALLY slow data connection, rogers really needs to improve their network.

If I get it replaced, it'll be with a refurb unit, which I would just end up selling it and buying a new one as I have problems using refurbs :S (just doesn't feel right :S). So with no real reason to get it replaced, I don't think I'll do it lol :lol:
Pretty sure Kakarot was joking as he put a ":P" on the end of his quote.
× < >