Cell Phones

iphone 4s vs Samsung Galaxy s2 .... Little Review after spending an hour with both

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2011 11:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1143 posts
28 upvotes
Keswick

iphone 4s vs Samsung Galaxy s2 .... Little Review after spending an hour with both

My buddy picked up a 4s today and since i got an S2 yesterday we chilled on lunch and compared the two.

Here's my very basic comparison...

Screen: Since everyone knows the screen hasnt changed there isn't much to say... My S2 screen is bigger and i think better but the 4s display is still fantastic.. just lacks in size( might be perfect for some )

Camera:I downloaded images of both on my laptop, both are clear but I might give the edge to the Iphone but NOT my much.

OS: Im still getting used to the ANDROID but i have no major complaints as of yet.... IOS5 is very smooth and perfect for the avg consumer... IOS wins but if your willing to mess around with the droid I think it has more to offer.

Storage space:Friends got a 16 gig... could of got the 64 but thats 200 more... I paid 60$ on my S2 and got a 32 gig card to add to my base 16 gigs. I like that you can throw in a card if needed. S2 wins.

Phone: iboth sound good. We only chatted once on it so i cant give you a complete review on that part.

Moving Data onto phone : itunes vs whatever software you wanna use from droid or just drag and drop pics/vids/mp3s on the drive that pops up and bang it works... Love that I dont have to convert formats to get it to work on my S2 VS the iphone..... S2 is the winner.

Texting/Typing: Coming from an iphone to the 4 then to a S2, its a little different on the S2 but after a day im used to it... Both are really good.. Tie

Siri/Voice Talk: Siri is cool, works well and got most of my commands the first try... S2 has voice talk and also works well but doesn't have the HUGE list of commands that siri does.... SIRI WINS.

Video playback: both seem seamless and very fast... I just like the larger screen esp for watching shows / movies

Games: Nothing that requires major processing power so i cant comment.

Overall Both are great phones and are very similar in many ways... It comes down to what the indiviual wants... I wish i could keep both
36 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2639 posts
194 upvotes
the major advantage with 4S should be the camera. i would suggest to take more pix with it and see.

thx for the review btw
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
speeeeee wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:20 pm

My buddy picked up a 4s today and since i got an S2 yesterday we chilled on lunch and compared the two.

Here's my very basic comparison...

Screen: Since everyone knows the screen hasnt changed there isn't much to say... My S2 screen is bigger and i think better but the 4s display is still fantastic.. just lacks in size( might be perfect for some )

Camera:I downloaded images of both on my laptop, both are clear but I might give the edge to the Iphone but NOT my much.

OS: Im still getting used to the ANDROID but i have no major complaints as of yet.... IOS5 is very smooth and perfect for the avg consumer... IOS wins but if your willing to mess around with the droid I think it has more to offer.

Storage space:Friends got a 16 gig... could of got the 64 but thats 200 more... I paid 60$ on my S2 and got a 32 gig card to add to my base 16 gigs. I like that you can throw in a card if needed. S2 wins.

Phone: iboth sound good. We only chatted once on it so i cant give you a complete review on that part.

Moving Data onto phone : itunes vs whatever software you wanna use from droid or just drag and drop pics/vids/mp3s on the drive that pops up and bang it works... Love that I dont have to convert formats to get it to work on my S2 VS the iphone..... S2 is the winner.

Texting/Typing: Coming from an iphone to the 4 then to a S2, its a little different on the S2 but after a day im used to it... Both are really good.. Tie

Siri/Voice Talk: Siri is cool, works well and got most of my commands the first try... S2 has voice talk and also works well but doesn't have the HUGE list of commands that siri does.... SIRI WINS.

Video playback: both seem seamless and very fast... I just like the larger screen esp for watching shows / movies

Games: Nothing that requires major processing power so i cant comment.

Overall Both are great phones and are very similar in many ways... It comes down to what the indiviual wants... I wish i could keep both

Few things:

(1) You beat me to a little review aspect of it, but I plan on putting up a video review sometime.
(2) You can also sync files on the S2 via Kies Air
(3) Have you tried Swype or the hand writing feature on the S2?
(4) Siri is not out for Canada yet, so how can you "claim" that Siri is cool and works well?

As for keeping both, I can keep both :P, but the S2 will be upgraded once the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus comes out.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
11944 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
kareshi wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:33 pm
the major advantage with 4S should be the camera. i would suggest to take more pix with it and see.

thx for the review btw

+1, the iphone camera really shines in low light. No other phone camera that I have tested comes close to the iPhone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1143 posts
28 upvotes
Keswick
djemzine wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:34 pm
Few things:

(1) You beat me to a little review aspect of it, but I plan on putting up a video review sometime.
(2) You can also sync files on the S2 via Kies Air
(3) Have you tried Swype or the hand writing feature on the S2?
(4) Siri is not out for Canada yet, so how can you "claim" that Siri is cool and works well?

As for keeping both, I can keep both :P, but the S2 will be upgraded once the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus comes out.
Look forward to the review!

Kies Air works well but doesnt work at my work since we are on a secure network... Kies by USB throws an error for me and cant get it to sync.

Gonna try Swype now/hand writing feature now !

Siri worked for us... I assume this is why

[INDENT][INDENT]Siri will be on the iPhone 4S sold in Canada and as with the phones sold in other countries on Oct. 14, it will come with versions for English for the US, the United Kingdom and Australia as well as French and German. So when you turn on a new iPhone 4S here, Siri will be there and you can choose from one of those languages. If you choose American English, presumably Siri will understand most of what you say — just don’t use ‘eh a lot. If you choose French, it is the French of France, not Quebec.[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1143 posts
28 upvotes
Keswick
just tried swype( i had to google it to figure how to turn it on) ... Very cool!! works well.. Will i use it??? doubt it!

Handwriting feature is kinda useless ...I will never use it
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
speeeeee wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:44 pm
Look forward to the review!

Kies Air works well but doesnt work at my work since we are on a secure network... Kies by USB throws an error for me and cant get it to sync.

Gonna try Swype now/hand writing feature now !

Siri worked for us... I assume this is why

[INDENT][INDENT]Siri will be on the iPhone 4S sold in Canada and as with the phones sold in other countries on Oct. 14, it will come with versions for English for the US, the United Kingdom and Australia as well as French and German. So when you turn on a new iPhone 4S here, Siri will be there and you can choose from one of those languages. If you choose American English, presumably Siri will understand most of what you say — just don’t use ‘eh a lot. If you choose French, it is the French of France, not Quebec.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

That's weird that Kies by USB gives you an error :S. I never got an error like that. Hmm about Siri, I thought it'll be out after a while, but in the US first. So let me guess, I can be like "What is the weather today?"(after configuring my location) and it'll give me the answer?

I got a video of the SGS II vs iPhone 4S in terms of booting up. I think the iPhone 4S took longer because it hasn't been activated yet, but I did boot it up before hand and set up the language/region and WiFi. So theoretically it was the 2nd boot up. I'll upload that when I get a chance. Still need to get a micro sim and then a micro sim adapter for me to proceed further with the review heh.
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
For the average person, the iphone wins. For those willing to play around, s2 or whatever high-end android wins.
It's a matter of personal preference. Me likes me android, but will eventually switch to WP7 once the new Nokias come out :D
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
speeeeee wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:20 pm
Great balanced review!
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What I don't like is that even the factory unlocked iPhones, you still have to put a sim card to FULLY use it which sucks because in Android, you can still use the phone without the sim card to do other stuff. +1 for Android.
663 posts
63 upvotes
Browser loading test and download speeds test on the same wifi connection please. Then ill decide which one to get. :D
Jun 15, 2004
768 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 2:34 pm
Few things:

siri works
the only thing it doesn't do from what i'm told is integrate well with maps and places of interest.
the navigation system is unable to integrate with our demands for mcdonalds or landmarks etc.

ppl just assume there's no siri in canada because it's not listed on the Cdn website, but it is included and it definitely works.
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kid_icarus wrote:
Oct 14th, 2011 3:57 pm
siri works
the only thing it doesn't do from what i'm told is integrate well with maps and places of interest.
the navigation system is unable to integrate with our demands for mcdonalds or landmarks etc.

ppl just assume there's no siri in canada because it's not listed on the Cdn website, but it is included and it definitely works.

Ah I see. However I can be like "note to self" or "text so and so"? So what you're saying if I say "Show me nearby Italian restaurants" or "What's hot in terms of restaurants nearby", it won't work?
Jan 27, 2006
15064 posts
740 upvotes
Woodbridge
Upgrading every 3-6 months I used all three OS (iOS with iPhone 3GS & 4, android with Samsung nexus & RIM with Bold 9870 and Torch 9800).

Both are amazing, I think it just boils down to Display Size preference. I'm currently using hTc EVO 3D and I can't go less the 4" which is why I decided to pass on iPhone 4S.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
+1, 4" is really ideal, not too big nor small either. I find the new droids are becoming way way too big, its just an annoyance to have your "portable telephone" engulf your whole hand.
× < >