Cell Phones

iPhone 5 - Far from Innovation

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2012 4:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2196 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga
well if you use all apple stuff, just go with iphone...

and i agree, you don't need to convert the music files...
just drag and pull to the folder and it will play...

edit:
i see the previous post..., i don't know what happen, i use windows computer hahahhaha
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 21, 2009
4468 posts
275 upvotes
As someone with a huge collection of music and organization on iTunes, not having it when using my S3 and HTC One X was such a pain. Thankfully, iSyncr exists.

I will be glad to leave those two phones behind (as great as they are) and to have something familiar (and nice to look at) again.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
subrock wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 4:56 am
thankfully someone more eloquent than me has already dismantled this tired old argument. http://curiousrat.com/home/2012/9/17/boring.html
Excellent article on this topic - thank-you for posting it!

Also, I posted this earlier in another thread:


Here's an interesting analysis of the reception of the iPhone 5...

Apple’s Magic Is In The Turn, Not The Prestige
Apple is not and will not change things just for the sake of change. And while some may now be clamoring for this change, the paradox is that if Apple did make some big changes, many of the same people would b**** and moan about them. Apple is smart enough to know that in this case, most people don’t really want change, they just think that they do because that’s the easiest way to perceive value: visual newness.
Classic cars are a great analogy for Apple's design philosophy - have a look at the evolution of the Porsche 911 from 1964 to 2008:

[IMG]http://www.vladville.com/wp-content/upl ... lution.jpg[/IMG]

I won't be surprised in the least if the iPhone of 2020 will be easily identifiable to the iPhone user of 2007:

[IMG]http://financialpostbusiness.files.word ... lution.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3444 posts
414 upvotes
Op, like many others, you seem to be disregarding the appstore and iTunes.
You think apple sells a phone, that's not the business model.

They had 100s of millions of people invested in their ecosystem before the closest competitor was even on the market...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 28, 2005
3883 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
This thread is too long to read, all I care about is can I buy a cheap iPhone 4 now?
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
edgedamage wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 8:12 am
This thread is too long to read, all I care about is can I buy a cheap iPhone 4 now?
Yes.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 24, 2008
163 posts
5 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 9:38 pm
I kept the phone for a day and sold it the next day and went back to my iPhone 4. I admit I didn;t give it much of a chance. It was doomed from the beginning.

So then it came to syncing with my computer. We're a Mac household. I installed Kies on my Mac Mini to get my music over. No go. I spent hours trying to get it to work. It wouldn't see the phone. Googled and lots of people have problems with Kies + OSX. Tried Android File Transfer. No go. I was able to connect the phone via wifi to Kies and tried to move some music over - brutally slow. I can't imagine moving 30GB of music that way. Plus, you *need* Kies for major firmware upgrades. I tried again, boom the Mac sees the phone. I move a few songs over onto the phone and disconnect to test out the music player. Think I could connect again? Not a chance.
OK, so you have a whole ecosystem of Apple products and obviously have a lot of love for their user experience. But also understand, at this point, it's hard to change and go with something else, like you mentioned the S3. You also say that you didn't give other products "much of a chance," and "doomed from the beginning." OK I get it, you're an Apple fanboy and that's perfectly fine.

Annnnndddd this:
gman wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 10:10 pm
If you are Mac household and with other Apple products, you should stay with Apple products. That would be the best integration.

Not sure why you used Kies. Copying music has been the best portion of using Android comparing with iPhone.
Just connect the USB cable, drag and drop the music files. Done.
steve-0101 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 10:20 pm
Have you used a mac with an S3? It doesn't work. With ICS there is no more UMS mode so when I plug it in, OSX doesn't mount it as it should. It doesn't even see it. Believe me, I tried everything (MTP vs PTP, different software, etc). If I could have just dragged music onto it, I would have.
Haha, I would least expect an Android device, or SAMSUNG, to be capable of working with a Mac or other Apple products. Did you try it with a PC?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
BKAY wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 2:06 pm
Haha, I would least expect an Android device, or SAMSUNG, to be capable of working with a Mac or other Apple products. Did you try it with a PC?
What if he doesn't have a PC?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
BKAY wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 1:41 pm

People who are buying at launch, don't give me your logic, because there is nothing logical about upgrading your old iPhone to this 'new' one.
People buying sushi should not try to give me their logic at why they like it, because i absolutely don't think it is logical to eat something that tastes like crap.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6049 posts
727 upvotes
Greely
BKAY wrote:
Sep 18th, 2012 2:06 pm
OK, so you have a whole ecosystem of Apple products and obviously have a lot of love for their user experience. But also understand, at this point, it's hard to change and go with something else, like you mentioned the S3. You also say that you didn't give other products "much of a chance," and "doomed from the beginning." OK I get it, you're an Apple fanboy and that's perfectly fine.

Annnnndddd this:

Haha, I would least expect an Android device, or SAMSUNG, to be capable of working with a Mac or other Apple products. Did you try it with a PC?
Yes, we have an Apple ecosystem. I'm not a fanboy as I am willing to and have tried other products. In fact many of my friends who've seen my S3 have said "what do you think of it?" - and my answer has always been "great phone, I highly recommend it". But, as I said, it's just not for me. Having used an iPhone for 5 years now, I *like* that it doesn't change much with each iteration. I understand and appreciate that some people don't agree with this. But it's just my opinion.

Regarding your second point, we have 2 macs and my wife has a Windows laptop. I could have tried with it, but why would I bother? Even if it did it would be of no use to me. It's not my machine and I don't plan on replacing my home PC to make it work with a phone, or take hers over and import my library to it. I've since tried iSyncr for Mac as per a post above and while it was able to get music on the phone, it's not perfect.

It's funny, I tried to take the time to write out how not all people just love Apple for the sake of it being Apple, and to show the reasons why it works for me and why an Android doesn't quite fit the bill (for me!) - yet your first instinct is to call me an "Apple fanboy". Why can't you just appreciate that different products fit different people, for different reasons?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
[url=http://*****jetpacks.com/read/apple_avoids_the_temptation_of_jetpack_design]Apple Avoids the Temptation of Jetpack Design[/url]

Excerpts:

[QUOTE]Apple waits for markets to mature a bit before they enter. They've de-emphasized "first" in favor of "best". Facetime is just video chat. Retina Displays are just higher resolution. Siri is just voice recognition. But in all three cases, they grabbed a tremendous amount of mindshare in a short time.
...
Apple has always been upfront about this facet of their strategy. Tim Cook recently said "[Apple will] participate only in markets where we can make a significant contribution."
...
We're conditioned to think that more features are better. That "innovation" means "no one has ever seen this idea before". That new ideas always win in the marketplace.[/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 20, 2009
3691 posts
104 upvotes
Lovable wrote:
Sep 17th, 2012 11:25 pm
As someone with a huge collection of music and organization on iTunes, not having it when using my S3 and HTC One X was such a pain. Thankfully, iSyncr exists.

I will be glad to leave those two phones behind (as great as they are) and to have something familiar (and nice to look at) again.
Haha im the exact opposite. I got an ipod nano from a solarwinds event and ive never installed itunes, barf. Ive seen how it "works" on my wifes computer, im not a conspiracy theorist but part of me thinks apple makes it as bloaty and ***** as possible just to make noobs believe that its their "crappy pc" and they need a "good mac" to run it properly. There is no visible reason why that relatively simple program should need as much juice as it seems to just to run quick and smooth.

itunes? no thanks. i use the foobar2000 plugin to put my music on the ipod, if I didn't have that option I woulda just put it right to ebay lol

Top