Tags:
None
Dec 24, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO

iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

Hi folks,

I currently have an iPhone 3GS with Telus, and I'm looking into finally upgrading. I'm between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've done some reading up on the features each device offers, but what I'm more interested in is hearing from those who have had either device for a while. What are the annoyances of each device (e.g. battery life, screen brightness, whatever)? Do they outweigh the benefits?

For the Galaxy S3: I've heard the battery life is weak, is that true? Are there any challenges that come with switching to Android from iOS? Is there anything else I should know about switching?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
63 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
3177 posts
419 upvotes
First, accept the fact that there's no tperfect phone. I would suggest you to ask yourself what do you need from the phone. The iPhone 5 should give you a smoother UI experience since the s3 LTE in canada is only dual core. I would say quad core speed difference is very noticeable.

Have you considered the note 2?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
kareshi wrote: First, accept the fact that there's no tperfect phone. I would suggest you to ask yourself what do you need from the phone. The iPhone 5 should give you a smoother UI experience since the s3 LTE in canada is only dual core. I would say quad core speed difference is very noticeable.

Have you considered the note 2?
Both the S3 LTE and iPhone 5 are dual core phones.
--------------------------------------
flickr
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2006
1097 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Androids will have a weaker battery life than ios unless you own a razr maxx. If you value easy access to your file system go android. If you like gaming then go for iphone. Productivity should be both equal. Android is easier to customize, apple is locked down. You can expect support for your iphone for at least 2 years and for most androids forget about it.

While the ios app store is better right now, This will change in about a few years. marketshare is king and android is going to take over like windows did.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
2534 posts
2274 upvotes
Pickering
I say play with both in a provider's store for a while and see what you like. A lot of people like the bells and whistles of it all, and that's OK. That's probably what'll bring you in. It really depends on WHAT exactly you're looking for in the phone.. The Design? Weight? Battery Life? Apps? etc etc.. I'm happy with my iPhone. I upgraded form a LG flip-phone and a friend of mine from College has the Samsung Galaxy S3.. he said it's OK. One thing I didn't like about it was how big it was, so it's kind of awkward holding it in your hand, it weighs a bit more, and I'm not a huge fan of its plastic feel. But at the same time I'm sure its performance is up to par with the iPhone. And it probably has a lot more apps at its disposal too. Let me to tell you though, iPhone's a lot of hype. In my experience it's not a super-fast phone and I didn't see much of a difference than when I had my iPhone 4s - on trial mind you, I didn't actually go out and buy a iPhone 5 after having an iPhone 4 like most of these idiots did, I returned it and get refunded all my money because I wanted to wait for the iPhone 5 to come out when I still had my flip-phone.
But if you're looking for specific things, it's just best to do your research because iPhone lovers will condemn the SGIII and vice versa. Another friend of mine also swears by his SGIII and hates iPhones.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2006
1097 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest the best way to know is to try them both. Everyone has their own opinion but its you who will use the phone not them. There really is no clear answer on which is better.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
I had iPhone 5 and quite frankly for the price it costs, the WiFi signal was horrid and the iOS didn't feature any improvements.

I went with the s3. It's pretty fun customizing and tweaking the phone, however, the battery life is poor.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
This question always comes up. In reality, there is no definitive answer.

Apple vs Samsung
Honda vs Toyota
Windows vs Mac

etc.....

Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Apple vs Samsung is no exception. I own a Samsung Note 2 and my sister has the iphone 5. Here is what I noticed:

IOS has the edge in fluidness, smoothiness for navigation. Even with JB, IOS5 is clearly the winner.
Android is way more customization.
Android has more handsets which can cater to more people vs just one from Apple.
I won't really want to speak about the app store because I can care less who has more apps. 90% of the apps are useless fart apps or Justin Beiber apps. I am totally satisfied with the offerings in Google Play app store even though it has less apps than IOS.
Apple wins in build quality.
Battery life is a tough one. In general, Apple has the edge. The Note 2 may turn the tables in the future though...
Ease of use? Apple looks to be more simplified. Android has a slightly higher learning curve due to its vast customization.
Music and videos, I would choose Android for its simple drag and drop instead of dealing with itunes.

Anyways, that's just my findings and opinion. My advice is to go to a store where they have display models so you can try both out.
You CANNOT go wrong with SG3 or Iphone5!!
Oct 10, 2009
157 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
i have note one and if i were buying a new phone i would get the quad core note 2..

apple phones are way too locked down..

also es file explorer alone would convince me to stay android, i love being able to copy any file i want off my network over wifi, even lte if you set op the phone properly.. i was never able to get the same functionality on my iphones.. also the screens are tiny.. like a toy.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2599 posts
122 upvotes
IMO they are both great devices and you would be happy with either of them. The big choice you have here is ecosystem. By switching from iOS to Android some of your itunes purchases (including apps) won't work on Android. How many google services do you use already? If its a lot you will like android a lot.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
wtravis wrote: Hi folks,

I currently have an iPhone 3GS with Telus, and I'm looking into finally upgrading. I'm between the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

I've done some reading up on the features each device offers, but what I'm more interested in is hearing from those who have had either device for a while. What are the annoyances of each device (e.g. battery life, screen brightness, whatever)? Do they outweigh the benefits?

For the Galaxy S3: I've heard the battery life is weak, is that true? Are there any challenges that come with switching to Android from iOS? Is there anything else I should know about switching?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
If you go the Android route, get Note 2 instead of SG3. Note 2 battery life is very good!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
172 upvotes
I had a iphone 4, than a xperia andriod, and now back to iphone 5. Couldn't be happier. Like yourself, I debuted between S3 and iPhone 5.

Everything just works very well for me. When I had my Xperia Andriod, things won't as smooth and easy to use as iphone 5. Apple still support iphone 3GS with its latest iOS 6. So support goes to Apple. Build quality is definitely iPhone 5 over S3 with iphone 5 using metal.

With Andriod, I would definitely consider Nexus 4 as well. Great value and I would think Google will suppose it better than Samsung would. Market share of Andriod is gaining, who knows, maybe iOS is a dying system... I can't image Apple just sitting around waiting to get kick out of the smartphone race. Competition is good for consumers!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
My last phones were iPhone first gen, then iPhone 3G, then the 3Gs, then the 4. Skipped the iPhone 4S waiting for the 5. The day the iPhone 5 was announced I bought an S3. I'm also a Mac household so I was afraid of disrupting my little eco-system here.

I couldn't be happier and I love my S3. Last week I bought a Note 2 and returned it a few days later. Great phone, but just too big for me. I'll keep my S3 until the S4 is announced/released.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
with the right rom on the s3, my s3 lasted 12 hours and still have 41% of juice left
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: with the right rom on the s3, my s3 lasted 12 hours and still have 41% of juice left
screen time?
flickr
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1785 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
that's not your screen time.
Go to battery then tap screen and it will show "time on".
What's that number ?
flickr
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
3177 posts
419 upvotes
hey_dude1643 wrote: Both the S3 LTE and iPhone 5 are dual core phones.
true , i forgot iphone 5 is also dual core. however i think due to the OS diff, iPhone 5 does feel smoother, probably because of better GPU.
Jan 22, 2012
171 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
The S3 is a stunner. I would get it but I don't do contracts and I'm not willing to pay $600.00 for a phone. Get an Anker battery. I have an S1 and the Anker battery has made a huge difference for me, especially where stand by time is concerned.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)