• Jan 2nd, 2013 2:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
definitely iphone 5. the one thing thats crucially missing (for me) is jailbreak for ios 6. i used the zephyr tweak constantly on my iphone 4 and hate double tapping the home button to multi-task.

if ios6 jailbreak ever comes (its been a long time and still no real progress), iphone 5 basically becomes the best of both worlds again. way better and polished apps + customizability.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1260 posts
273 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hey_dude1643 wrote: that's not your screen time.
Go to battery then tap screen and it will show "time on".
What's that number ?
His screen time is probably 20 minutes lol
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
I've owned both and here are my thoughts:

iPhone 5
+ fast (very optimized, so faster "feeling" than the S3)
+ thin, light, build quality
+ camera (best available)
+ Size works for me, everything can be done one-handed
+ Better touch response by a significant margin
+ Keyboard has great error correction, I totally blaze on it (even without looking sometimes)
+ FaceTime works better than Skype (always on, better video for the bandwidth, even Skype engineers have commented on this)
+ I like the e-mail app's layout and the way it displays messages, and for whatever reason, this matters to me a lot
- e-mail app doesn't have robust search like Gmail for Android (arguably, Gmail for iOS is good)
- Multitasking is half-baked
- On my version, battery life was pathetic, never more than 5 hours of real life time, no matter what I did (tried everything), and battery life was a big reason for me
- Full unlocked price just not worth it ($900 for the 32GB I bought)
- Camera not hugely better than 4S
- iOS isn't really getting better
- Inconsistent QC, my front camera was very dark, friend's was bright, like previous devices (same with iPad mini)

Galaxy S3
+ big screen makes browsing a pleasure
+ thin, light, I like the curved edges of the glass
+ I like where Android is going, with Google Now etc.
+ Good multitasking, Skype etc. doesn't just quit when it wants to (or my voip line)
+ Individual notifications sounds etc, I suppose you could call this customization
+ Ability to add SD card
+ Great battery life (I trade a lot of phones, and with the latest batch, the S3 is tops, lasts 10 hours using LTE exclusively and heavily, well over 12 when supplemented with WiFi)
- HATE hate HATE Touchwiz and it's 2007esque graphics and colours, looks just like Touchwiz did on Gingerbread, can't notice ICS/JB stuff at all
- Not as nice-feeling as the iPhone with its materials
- Size a bit big IMO, not great for one-handed use at all
- Keyboards mostly suck (yes, tried them all, found Swiftkey and stock JB tolerable)
- Proximity sensor doesn't register sometimes
- Little Android quirks of apps quitting and restarting, buttons not responding once in a while etc... rare, but feels unpolished
- Camera BLOWS in low light, video basically sucks

I would have kept the iPhone, except that I bought it because I expected a full day on LTE, like so many (bought off?) reviews said. But to get 5 hours of usage was ridiculous, especially for $900. I find the S3 underwhelming too, because it's not all that much better than the S2 (still dual core, same/similar camera etc., LTE available in both etc.). I hope to see a significant improvement with the S4.

I really prefer stock Android, to the point that I've even replaced Touchwiz apps with stock ones, but like the Nexus experience a lot more. It's a shame that the Nexus 4 isn't LTE, otherwise, it'd be probably be the one beside me now.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3943 posts
1374 upvotes
Vancouver
loybond wrote: It's a shame that the Nexus 4 isn't LTE, otherwise, it'd be probably be the one beside me now.
What provider are you with? If you're with the big 3, the Nexus 4 DOES have LTE, just that it has to be enabled. If you're on Wind or Mobilicity then you're SOL.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
VintagePhick wrote: The S3 is a stunner. I would get it but I don't do contracts and I'm not willing to pay $600.00 for a phone. Get an Anker battery. I have an S1 and the Anker battery has made a huge difference for me, especially where stand by time is concerned.

Are you referring to the double extended life battery that requires a modded back?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
stats for today

35% battery left @ 13h 59m 36s

screen on @ 1h 8m 28 s

Not sure if the screen time is relevant, most people's phone last less than 10 hours even with no use. Pretty sure its obvious to everybody if you use the screen longer the battery will drain faster ...
pennywize wrote: His screen time is probably 20 minutes lol
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Virgin (TB plan LOL). Yeah, I know it has to be enabled, but I've read that it doesn't stick and it isn't as fast as it should be. Also, is it really LTE without an LTE antenna (just the chip)?
litebrite wrote: What provider are you with? If you're with the big 3, the Nexus 4 DOES have LTE, just that it has to be enabled. If you're on Wind or Mobilicity then you're SOL.
Oct 31, 2002
280 posts
16 upvotes
The iP5 has two major weaknesses, a smallish screen and a battery life that requires constant charging. Get over them and you will be pretty happy.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1260 posts
273 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sexyj wrote: stats for today

35% battery left @ 13h 59m 36s

screen on @ 1h 8m 28 s

Not sure if the screen time is relevant, most people's phone last less than 10 hours even with no use. Pretty sure its obvious to everybody if you use the screen longer the battery will drain faster ...
Of course it's relevant as it shows your usage vs battery life. I can say my phone lasts 48 hours... But not say that's with only 10 minutes screen time. Kind of misleading without the screen time.

Anyways, running the latest 10.1 Cm with KT's kernel and getting about 12 hours with 2 hour screen time. Not bad.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
ChrisPhil wrote: Androids will have a weaker battery life than ios unless you own a razr maxx. If you value easy access to your file system go android. If you like gaming then go for iphone. Productivity should be both equal. Android is easier to customize, apple is locked down. You can expect support for your iphone for at least 2 years and for most androids forget about it.

While the ios app store is better right now, This will change in about a few years. marketshare is king and android is going to take over like windows did.
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: This question always comes up. In reality, there is no definitive answer.

Apple vs Samsung
Honda vs Toyota
Windows vs Mac

etc.....

Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Apple vs Samsung is no exception. I own a Samsung Note 2 and my sister has the iphone 5. Here is what I noticed:

IOS has the edge in fluidness, smoothiness for navigation. Even with JB, IOS5 is clearly the winner.
Android is way more customization.
Android has more handsets which can cater to more people vs just one from Apple.
I won't really want to speak about the app store because I can care less who has more apps. 90% of the apps are useless fart apps or Justin Beiber apps. I am totally satisfied with the offerings in Google Play app store even though it has less apps than IOS.
Apple wins in build quality.
Battery life is a tough one. In general, Apple has the edge. The Note 2 may turn the tables in the future though...
Ease of use? Apple looks to be more simplified. Android has a slightly higher learning curve due to its vast customization.
Music and videos, I would choose Android for its simple drag and drop instead of dealing with itunes.

Anyways, that's just my findings and opinion. My advice is to go to a store where they have display models so you can try both out.
You CANNOT go wrong with SG3 or Iphone5!!
loybond wrote: I've owned both and here are my thoughts:

iPhone 5
+ fast (very optimized, so faster "feeling" than the S3)
+ thin, light, build quality
+ camera (best available)
+ Size works for me, everything can be done one-handed
+ Better touch response by a significant margin
+ Keyboard has great error correction, I totally blaze on it (even without looking sometimes)
+ FaceTime works better than Skype (always on, better video for the bandwidth, even Skype engineers have commented on this)
+ I like the e-mail app's layout and the way it displays messages, and for whatever reason, this matters to me a lot
- e-mail app doesn't have robust search like Gmail for Android (arguably, Gmail for iOS is good)
- Multitasking is half-baked
- On my version, battery life was pathetic, never more than 5 hours of real life time, no matter what I did (tried everything), and battery life was a big reason for me
- Full unlocked price just not worth it ($900 for the 32GB I bought)
- Camera not hugely better than 4S
- iOS isn't really getting better
- Inconsistent QC, my front camera was very dark, friend's was bright, like previous devices (same with iPad mini)

Galaxy S3
+ big screen makes browsing a pleasure
+ thin, light, I like the curved edges of the glass
+ I like where Android is going, with Google Now etc.
+ Good multitasking, Skype etc. doesn't just quit when it wants to (or my voip line)
+ Individual notifications sounds etc, I suppose you could call this customization
+ Ability to add SD card
+ Great battery life (I trade a lot of phones, and with the latest batch, the S3 is tops, lasts 10 hours using LTE exclusively and heavily, well over 12 when supplemented with WiFi)
- HATE hate HATE Touchwiz and it's 2007esque graphics and colours, looks just like Touchwiz did on Gingerbread, can't notice ICS/JB stuff at all
- Not as nice-feeling as the iPhone with its materials
- Size a bit big IMO, not great for one-handed use at all
- Keyboards mostly suck (yes, tried them all, found Swiftkey and stock JB tolerable)
- Proximity sensor doesn't register sometimes
- Little Android quirks of apps quitting and restarting, buttons not responding once in a while etc... rare, but feels unpolished
- Camera BLOWS in low light, video basically sucks

I would have kept the iPhone, except that I bought it because I expected a full day on LTE, like so many (bought off?) reviews said. But to get 5 hours of usage was ridiculous, especially for $900. I find the S3 underwhelming too, because it's not all that much better than the S2 (still dual core, same/similar camera etc., LTE available in both etc.). I hope to see a significant improvement with the S4.

I really prefer stock Android, to the point that I've even replaced Touchwiz apps with stock ones, but like the Nexus experience a lot more. It's a shame that the Nexus 4 isn't LTE, otherwise, it'd be probably be the one beside me now.
What's with all these non-biased intelligent non-fanboyish replies in a IOS vs Android thread on RFD? Must be a cold day in hell but very insightful! Is RFD all growns up now?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13912 posts
5398 upvotes
you are stating something obvious like i said...
pennywize wrote: Of course it's relevant as it shows your usage vs battery life. I can say my phone lasts 48 hours... But not say that's with only 10 minutes screen time. Kind of misleading without the screen time.

Anyways, running the latest 10.1 Cm with KT's kernel and getting about 12 hours with 2 hour screen time. Not bad.
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2072 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
Cas77 wrote: What's with all these non-biased intelligent non-fanboyish replies in a IOS vs Android thread on RFD? Must be a cold day in hell but very insightful! Is RFD all growns up now?
Reality is...there is no perfect smartphone on the market period. All have a lot of strong points and deficiencies. For example, if you used an iPhone for a long time things like keyboards and UI require getting used to going to Android and vice versa. Some love the iphone keyboard, I personally find Android better. I am a long time BB user too. I like large screens but it's a PITA for one handed operations even though Android offers one handed settings.

I have the 4S and Note 2. Even going from my G2X to Note 2 was a little bit of getting used to. It comes down to really learning and spending a good amount of time with your device as we are almost at a level playing ground.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
lg777 wrote: I have the 4S and Note 2. Even going from my G2X to Note 2 was a little bit of getting used to. It comes down to really learning and spending a good amount of time with your device as we are almost at a level playing ground.
I have the 4S as well and am considering the Note 2. How do the two compare, in your opinion?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
139 upvotes
iPhone 5 hands down if you're somebody who plays games, values battery life, does not customize and use it for normal tasks such as checking your e-mail, browsing, texting and camera.

The UI, browsing and loading is butter smooth. I have a friend who has a rooted S3 and while it's faster than the iPhone 5, it's not as efficient. The iPhone's 5 chip + OS are custom made for each other while the S3 has a generic Android slapped on it.

If you're someone who just wants to buy a phone with everything perfect from the get go, just get the iPhone 5. However, I have to mention, the WiFi signal is rather weak and linking to iTunes to transfer files/photos is rather an annoyance.
May 28, 2005
435 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who recently jumped into Android from iOS, I'd say if you want a phone to tinker with to your hearts content, definitely go with Android. Having a jailbroken iPhone is great, but there are many hoops you have to jump through to really customize the phone. Android customizability is second to none. Discovering the Tasker app was like a revelation, coupled with NFC, it kinda blew my mind.

Now, there are a couple disadvantages with owning an Android phone. Fragmentation is an issue, unless you have a Nexus phone. For example, Android Jelly Bean was first released in July this year, but every manufacturer likes to tinker with it and put their own spin on it, i.e. Touchwiz, Sense UI, etc. So theres bound to be a delay when it comes to software updates. Samsung only started to roll out their Jelly Bean update this past month.

You do give up on battery life for most android phones, the iPhones tend to have more efficient battery management (not sure about iPhone 5).

Apple's customer support is second to none, my experience with them has been stellar (even though I didn't have apple care).

EDIT: oh, and the iPhone 5's screen is apparently among the best in class.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1260 posts
273 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sexyj wrote: you are stating something obvious like i said...
All I'm saying is that your statement "...my s3 lasted 12 hours and still have 41% of juice left" has no indication of how good/bad the battery is.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
samsung galaxy S3

/thread
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
or samsung note II --> a beast

or wait for samsung galaxy s4

life is good.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking of battery life...

One of the main reasons why I went with Android was because of the removable battery. iOS has the edge in battery life overall but the problem is the battery is not removable. I myself am a HEAVY user (5 emails pushed, heavy video streaming, heavy web browsing, 2 additional VOIP lines, GPS navigation, etc.). My phone is a WORKHORSE. Although Androids are generally inferior in battery life, I could easily swap batteries and continue with my busy day. I simply do not have the time to have my phone plugged in a socket and wait for it to charge since I am always travelling here and there. Based on the feedback from my coworkers who have the iPhone5 (who are also heavy users), the battery will not last them throughout the day either. Either way, Android and Apple cannot last me the whole day so swapping batteries was a deal breaker.

The Note 2 is one exception: I was definitely impressed with its battery consumption. With such a massive display, the Note 2 is the only Android I have ever owned that can last the whole day without recharging. And remember I am a data and voice intensive user.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Rengoku wrote: As someone who recently jumped into Android from iOS, I'd say if you want a phone to tinker with to your hearts content, definitely go with Android. Having a jailbroken iPhone is great, but there are many hoops you have to jump through to really customize the phone. Android customizability is second to none. Discovering the Tasker app was like a revelation, coupled with NFC, it kinda blew my mind.

Now, there are a couple disadvantages with owning an Android phone. Fragmentation is an issue, unless you have a Nexus phone. For example, Android Jelly Bean was first released in July this year, but every manufacturer likes to tinker with it and put their own spin on it, i.e. Touchwiz, Sense UI, etc. So theres bound to be a delay when it comes to software updates. Samsung only started to roll out their Jelly Bean update this past month.

You do give up on battery life for most android phones, the iPhones tend to have more efficient battery management (not sure about iPhone 5).

Apple's customer support is second to none, my experience with them has been stellar (even though I didn't have apple care).

EDIT: oh, and the iPhone 5's screen is apparently among the best in class.
+1

Android support and updates are severely inferior. Most resort to custom roms for updates because the OTA updates are ridiculously slow!

I am an Android user ever since the HTC G1 came out, but even with my Samsung Note 2 quad core 1.6ghz, the smoothness and fluidness of the iphone is in a league of its own. Though you have to look at the whole picture of what you are getting, so that is why I am still with Android.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)