• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 2:09 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9159 posts
792 upvotes
you are stating something obvious like i said...
pennywize wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:33 pm
Of course it's relevant as it shows your usage vs battery life. I can say my phone lasts 48 hours... But not say that's with only 10 minutes screen time. Kind of misleading without the screen time.

Anyways, running the latest 10.1 Cm with KT's kernel and getting about 12 hours with 2 hour screen time. Not bad.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1689 posts
182 upvotes
GTA
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:35 pm
What's with all these non-biased intelligent non-fanboyish replies in a IOS vs Android thread on RFD? Must be a cold day in hell but very insightful! Is RFD all growns up now?
Reality is...there is no perfect smartphone on the market period. All have a lot of strong points and deficiencies. For example, if you used an iPhone for a long time things like keyboards and UI require getting used to going to Android and vice versa. Some love the iphone keyboard, I personally find Android better. I am a long time BB user too. I like large screens but it's a PITA for one handed operations even though Android offers one handed settings.

I have the 4S and Note 2. Even going from my G2X to Note 2 was a little bit of getting used to. It comes down to really learning and spending a good amount of time with your device as we are almost at a level playing ground.
Apr 3, 2006
620 posts
97 upvotes
lg777 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:47 pm
I have the 4S and Note 2. Even going from my G2X to Note 2 was a little bit of getting used to. It comes down to really learning and spending a good amount of time with your device as we are almost at a level playing ground.
I have the 4S as well and am considering the Note 2. How do the two compare, in your opinion?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
iPhone 5 hands down if you're somebody who plays games, values battery life, does not customize and use it for normal tasks such as checking your e-mail, browsing, texting and camera.

The UI, browsing and loading is butter smooth. I have a friend who has a rooted S3 and while it's faster than the iPhone 5, it's not as efficient. The iPhone's 5 chip + OS are custom made for each other while the S3 has a generic Android slapped on it.

If you're someone who just wants to buy a phone with everything perfect from the get go, just get the iPhone 5. However, I have to mention, the WiFi signal is rather weak and linking to iTunes to transfer files/photos is rather an annoyance.
May 28, 2005
399 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who recently jumped into Android from iOS, I'd say if you want a phone to tinker with to your hearts content, definitely go with Android. Having a jailbroken iPhone is great, but there are many hoops you have to jump through to really customize the phone. Android customizability is second to none. Discovering the Tasker app was like a revelation, coupled with NFC, it kinda blew my mind.

Now, there are a couple disadvantages with owning an Android phone. Fragmentation is an issue, unless you have a Nexus phone. For example, Android Jelly Bean was first released in July this year, but every manufacturer likes to tinker with it and put their own spin on it, i.e. Touchwiz, Sense UI, etc. So theres bound to be a delay when it comes to software updates. Samsung only started to roll out their Jelly Bean update this past month.

You do give up on battery life for most android phones, the iPhones tend to have more efficient battery management (not sure about iPhone 5).

Apple's customer support is second to none, my experience with them has been stellar (even though I didn't have apple care).

EDIT: oh, and the iPhone 5's screen is apparently among the best in class.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1011 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sexyj wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:43 pm
you are stating something obvious like i said...
All I'm saying is that your statement "...my s3 lasted 12 hours and still have 41% of juice left" has no indication of how good/bad the battery is.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
samsung galaxy S3

/thread
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
or samsung note II --> a beast

or wait for samsung galaxy s4

life is good.
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking of battery life...

One of the main reasons why I went with Android was because of the removable battery. iOS has the edge in battery life overall but the problem is the battery is not removable. I myself am a HEAVY user (5 emails pushed, heavy video streaming, heavy web browsing, 2 additional VOIP lines, GPS navigation, etc.). My phone is a WORKHORSE. Although Androids are generally inferior in battery life, I could easily swap batteries and continue with my busy day. I simply do not have the time to have my phone plugged in a socket and wait for it to charge since I am always travelling here and there. Based on the feedback from my coworkers who have the iPhone5 (who are also heavy users), the battery will not last them throughout the day either. Either way, Android and Apple cannot last me the whole day so swapping batteries was a deal breaker.

The Note 2 is one exception: I was definitely impressed with its battery consumption. With such a massive display, the Note 2 is the only Android I have ever owned that can last the whole day without recharging. And remember I am a data and voice intensive user.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Rengoku wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 3:13 pm
As someone who recently jumped into Android from iOS, I'd say if you want a phone to tinker with to your hearts content, definitely go with Android. Having a jailbroken iPhone is great, but there are many hoops you have to jump through to really customize the phone. Android customizability is second to none. Discovering the Tasker app was like a revelation, coupled with NFC, it kinda blew my mind.

Now, there are a couple disadvantages with owning an Android phone. Fragmentation is an issue, unless you have a Nexus phone. For example, Android Jelly Bean was first released in July this year, but every manufacturer likes to tinker with it and put their own spin on it, i.e. Touchwiz, Sense UI, etc. So theres bound to be a delay when it comes to software updates. Samsung only started to roll out their Jelly Bean update this past month.

You do give up on battery life for most android phones, the iPhones tend to have more efficient battery management (not sure about iPhone 5).

Apple's customer support is second to none, my experience with them has been stellar (even though I didn't have apple care).

EDIT: oh, and the iPhone 5's screen is apparently among the best in class.
+1

Android support and updates are severely inferior. Most resort to custom roms for updates because the OTA updates are ridiculously slow!

I am an Android user ever since the HTC G1 came out, but even with my Samsung Note 2 quad core 1.6ghz, the smoothness and fluidness of the iphone is in a league of its own. Though you have to look at the whole picture of what you are getting, so that is why I am still with Android.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2427 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
loybond wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 11:40 am
Virgin (TB plan LOL). Yeah, I know it has to be enabled, but I've read that it doesn't stick and it isn't as fast as it should be. Also, is it really LTE without an LTE antenna (just the chip)?
You're correct. Once you reboot the phone, it loses the LTE settings, although it's as easy as entering that menu again and selecting LTE/GSM. I don't think it's a big deal.
I'm not sure the typical LTE speeds where I am currently, but I've hit up to 42 mbps/6mbps.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9159 posts
792 upvotes
yes it does, like I stated most android and iphones do not last more than 10 hours even with no activity.

having a smart phone that can last more than 10 is a feat itself
pennywize wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 5:53 pm
All I'm saying is that your statement "...my s3 lasted 12 hours and still have 41% of juice left" has no indication of how good/bad the battery is.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
Rainne wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 2:54 pm
iPhone 5 hands down if you're somebody who plays games, values battery life, does not customize and use it for normal tasks such as checking your e-mail, browsing, texting and camera.

The UI, browsing and loading is butter smooth. I have a friend who has a rooted S3 and while it's faster than the iPhone 5, it's not as efficient. The iPhone's 5 chip + OS are custom made for each other while the S3 has a generic Android slapped on it.

If you're someone who just wants to buy a phone with everything perfect from the get go, just get the iPhone 5. However, I have to mention, the WiFi signal is rather weak and linking to iTunes to transfer files/photos is rather an annoyance.
The iphone5 is beyond horrible for email and browsing. The screen is just comicaly small and useless for browsing, you're just endlessly pinch and zoom and panning left and right. Just came back from afternoon with friends and all the IP5 users did that and then just used others s3 or note 2. IOS still can't get email right whether you use gmail or exchange server. It lacks many features and the push doesn't work or works poorly. That was a deal breaker for me. No gmail push for personal emails and lacking way too many exchange server features.

IPhone is good if you want a basic phone to just text and make calls and too stupid to do anything more than press a button to launch one app at a time and you are incapable of multitasking. So perfect phone for older grandparents and the like
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
gilboman wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 8:00 pm
IPhone is good if you want a basic phone to just text and make calls and too stupid to do anything more than press a button to launch one app at a time and you are incapable of multitasking. So perfect phone for older grandparents and the like
LOL

the iPhone is cute, don't you agree?
11b guide
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1644 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 7:55 pm
yes it does, like I stated most android and iphones do not last more than 10 hours even with no activity.

having a smart phone that can last more than 10 is a feat itself
I'm pulling in a 1D 13H of stand by and have 14% left. (never been charged) =D
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/url]--------------------------------------
flickr
× < >