Cell Phones

iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 2:09 am
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
9451 posts
885 upvotes
data off ?
hey_dude1643 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:01 pm
I'm pulling in a 1D 13H of stand by and have 14% left. (never been charged) =D
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
1465 posts
157 upvotes
I'm sorry to reveal the truth ...

STAY AWAY FROM IPHONE.

Seriously ... think about a hard drive that fills up with data ... doesn't it make it slower? For sure.

But when you access external memory (or expandable memory) it makes the phone faster.

The S3 can have expandable memory ... just get a micro SD card.

Simple math ... iphone 16GB to 32GB ... add $100.

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB to 32GB via micro SD ... add $20 ...

And to boot ... it moves all the apps over to the card so the internal memory is ONLY at a minimal ... therefore resulting in a faster phone.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2006
1072 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:56 pm
I'm sorry to reveal the truth ...

STAY AWAY FROM IPHONE.

Seriously ... think about a hard drive that fills up with data ... doesn't it make it slower? For sure.

But when you access external memory (or expandable memory) it makes the phone faster.

The S3 can have expandable memory ... just get a micro SD card.

Simple math ... iphone 16GB to 32GB ... add $100.

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB to 32GB via micro SD ... add $20 ...

And to boot ... it moves all the apps over to the card so the internal memory is ONLY at a minimal ... therefore resulting in a faster phone.
Nonsense.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 18, 2008
2315 posts
372 upvotes
Ottawa
AV-Fishing wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:56 pm
I'm sorry to reveal the truth ...

STAY AWAY FROM IPHONE.

Seriously ... think about a hard drive that fills up with data ... doesn't it make it slower? For sure.

But when you access external memory
(or expandable memory) it makes the phone faster.

The S3 can have expandable memory ... just get a micro SD card.

Simple math ... iphone 16GB to 32GB ... add $100.

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB to 32GB via micro SD ... add $20 ...

And to boot ... it moves all the apps over to the card so the internal memory is ONLY at a minimal ... therefore resulting in a faster phone.
Try reading data from a floppy or a DVD vs. a harddrive :lol:

Although the reverse is true too... A HDD vs. a SSD :razz:
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 8:00 pm
The iphone5 is beyond horrible for email and browsing. The screen is just comicaly small and useless for browsing, you're just endlessly pinch and zoom and panning left and right. Just came back from afternoon with friends and all the IP5 users did that and then just used others s3 or note 2. IOS still can't get email right whether you use gmail or exchange server. It lacks many features and the push doesn't work or works poorly. That was a deal breaker for me. No gmail push for personal emails and lacking way too many exchange server features.

IPhone is good if you want a basic phone to just text and make calls and too stupid to do anything more than press a button to launch one app at a time and you are incapable of multitasking. So perfect phone for older grandparents and the like
Pinch and zoom browsing is unnoticeable to me because of how seamless the experience is. I'm also not sure what problems you're having with the push e-mails, mine works fine.

Having switched from using multiple "flagship" Android which were prime at their time (ex: Galaxy), I can conclude that while they're very customizable and lightning fast when rooted and flashed, they lack refinement. There's always the odd freeze or sudden forced app closure. Or maybe the the text takes awhile to load because your history is so large. Data or wifi not working after a flash? Time to trouble shoot. Reminds me of a high horsepower car with a not so perfect transmission. The power delivery isn't smooth.

Of course, people will keep buying Samsung's latest "flagship" phone and repeatedly tinker/flash roms, fruitlessly chasing their dreams of the perfect individualist phone.

Also note: Not everyone is open to flashing their phones. The vast majority of users buy and use stock. And I think we all know which one is top when comparing stock vs. stock. Let's not even venture into customer support or resale value.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2005
1646 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:42 pm
data off ?
Nope, a mix of Wifi/LTE

Image

Image
--------------------------------------
flickr
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
Rainne wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 1:44 am
Pinch and zoom browsing is unnoticeable to me because of how seamless the experience is. I'm also not sure what problems you're having with the push e-mails, mine works fine.

Having switched from using multiple "flagship" Android which were prime at their time (ex: Galaxy), I can conclude that while they're very customizable and lightning fast when rooted and flashed, they lack refinement. There's always the odd freeze or sudden forced app closure. Or maybe the the text takes awhile to load because your history is so large. Data or wifi not working after a flash? Time to trouble shoot. Reminds me of a high horsepower car with a not so perfect transmission. The power delivery isn't smooth.

Of course, people will keep buying Samsung's latest "flagship" phone and repeatedly tinker/flash roms, fruitlessly chasing their dreams of the perfect individualist phone.

Also note: Not everyone is open to flashing their phones. The vast majority of users buy and use stock. And I think we all know which one is top when comparing stock vs. stock. Let's not even venture into customer support or resale value.
So you are used to suffering and think its normal. That's all you're saying with having to endlessly pinch and zoom and pan left and right to look at a webpage. Or worst yet you are looking at mobile crippled version of web pages. Think about it, why should you have to keep pinching in and out plus pan left and right to look at a webpage? Or be forced to use stripped mobile versions? How ridiculous is it to say you're being used to abused and don't notice it?

You don't notice how poor the email is again because you've never had anything better to compare it too. Like you've been eating chef boyardee your whole life and you think its fine and how ravioli is supposed to taste like.

Stock vs stock will be wp8 then nexus then iPhone in that order.

But it sounds like its been a while since you used android and never used a wp8 phone so your ignorance is understandable. You do need android 4.1 and above to have the smoothness.

I can also understand in a way when you say iPhone appears to have leas hiccups..that's like saying an economic car with manual windows and locks, no heated seats no navi, manual transmission, no abs no vsc, no sunroof, no air con will have less go wrong . the iPhone has no features and no multi task no live tiles or widgets so there's nothing running so nothing to go wrong. I can't have a car with all those lacking features .. Might as well walk lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
iPhone IMO just works. I had the S3 for awhile now and it has more app or random crashes than my iphone4.

At the end of the day, be thankful you have alternatives rather than be butthurt about phone companies.
Newbie
Aug 9, 2012
16 posts
Toronto
Last year I received a Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G for Christmas. After a year of annoying problems: screen turning pink, email app just not working period (important because of work), phone doing random things in my pocket, battery really overheating, and a nasty smell coming from the back of the phone. The person who gave it to me purchased it from Wireless Wave in a Costco and bought the 3 year extended warranty with it. I am fed up with it and I would like to know what I should do and how to deal with the Wireless Wave Costco people. Also is it possible to get a new phone out of this because they no longer carry the Infuse and I've had my eye on the SIII or an iPhone. Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 14, 2007
2611 posts
79 upvotes
Holy condescending tone Batman!

Relax, s/he has their opinion, and you have yours. Not everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant. There are many limitations in the iOS mail app vs. Android Gmail app, but I still prefer iOS mail when I'm out and about. Clearer, more usable. The iPhone screen is smaller, but the phone is also more pocketable and efficient when you're on the go. It depends on the usage scenario... I use my phone only when out, at home, I have tablets and computers. For someone who uses their phone like a phone + tablet, a Note 2 is much better. There's no one right answer.

If you read my previous posts, you'll see that there are things to like about both platforms, and it should be quite clear that neither is perfect. I'm not 100% happy with either.

As far as browsers go, after using both extensively, I'd say they're about equal overall. Yes, you can point out what you like about Android, but people can do the same with iOS. I think that both are still too limited for 5+ years of development; they're both still too far from desktop equivalency, despite having powerful CPUs and what not.

BTW your last paragraph makes no sense, and no part of it supports your argument.
gilboman wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 10:21 am
So you are used to suffering and think its normal. That's all you're saying with having to endlessly pinch and zoom and pan left and right to look at a webpage. Or worst yet you are looking at mobile crippled version of web pages. Think about it, why should you have to keep pinching in and out plus pan left and right to look at a webpage? Or be forced to use stripped mobile versions? How ridiculous is it to say you're being used to abused and don't notice it?

You don't notice how poor the email is again because you've never had anything better to compare it too. Like you've been eating chef boyardee your whole life and you think its fine and how ravioli is supposed to taste like.

Stock vs stock will be wp8 then nexus then iPhone in that order.

But it sounds like its been a while since you used android and never used a wp8 phone so your ignorance is understandable. You do need android 4.1 and above to have the smoothness.

I can also understand in a way when you say iPhone appears to have leas hiccups..that's like saying an economic car with manual windows and locks, no heated seats no navi, manual transmission, no abs no vsc, no sunroof, no air con will have less go wrong . the iPhone has no features and no multi task no live tiles or widgets so there's nothing running so nothing to go wrong. I can't have a car with all those lacking features .. Might as well walk lol
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3806 posts
266 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:56 pm
I'm sorry to reveal the truth ...

STAY AWAY FROM IPHONE.

Seriously ... think about a hard drive that fills up with data ... doesn't it make it slower? For sure.

But when you access external memory (or expandable memory) it makes the phone faster.

The S3 can have expandable memory ... just get a micro SD card.

Simple math ... iphone 16GB to 32GB ... add $100.

Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB to 32GB via micro SD ... add $20 ...

And to boot ... it moves all the apps over to the card so the internal memory is ONLY at a minimal ... therefore resulting in a faster phone.
There are a lot of things I don't like about the ip5 causing me to go w/ the optimus g or RAZR HD late (screen size, & battery life esp) but its the fastest phone I've ever used, faster than my gfs s3
Newbie
Sep 29, 2009
80 posts
10 upvotes
0
Why don't you wait until BB10 is unveiled? It's another option to consider...
Member
Oct 13, 2008
330 posts
40 upvotes
If you like to customize your phone like theres no tomorrow go for android.

If you own one or more apple products I would recommending getting an iphone. iCloud simply works.
× < >

Top