Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.

iPhone 6 unlocking off ebay, good idea?

There are quite a few server unlocking providers on ebay selling for 35-40$ per unlock code (Rogers wants 50$ and 3 months of use). Has anyone tried for iphone 6? Is it the same as unlocking from the carrier?
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
18 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
iPhones don't use unlock codes, so....
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
post a link to the auction please? let's see this..
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
If its 40$ on eBay just pay the 10 buck extra and do it at Rogers.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Traian2003 wrote: There are quite a few server unlocking providers on ebay selling for 35-40$ per unlock code (Rogers wants 50$ and 3 months of use). Has anyone tried for iphone 6? Is it the same as unlocking from the carrier?
if they say to hook up to computer and turn on iTunes to unlock, then is same as what carriers do
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
chinesedevil wrote: If its 40$ on eBay just pay the 10 buck extra and do it at Rogers.
have to wait 90 days. If you need it right away and can't wait, then ebay is an option
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Wow I just looked on ebay the prices sure have fallen...
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
afaik, current iPhones can only be unlocked via Apple's servers. Anything else is surely a scam.

there used to be a bypass, meaning the unlocker likely worked for Apple and did it on the sly. they charged in excess of $100 to unlock.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote: afaik, current iPhones can only be unlocked via Apple's servers. Anything else is surely a scam.

there used to be a bypass, meaning the unlocker likely worked for Apple and did it on the sly. they charged in excess of $100 to unlock.
Generally correct. They can only be unlocked via the Apple servers, but the set up only allows the carrier to submit the unlock. Apparently even Apple cannot access the whitelist to unlock, only the carrier to which it is locked. But yeah, the 3rd parties were usually paying someone inside the carrier to do the unlock. What isn't completely clear is whether they had to also submit the payment into the carrier system so as to avoid theft/fraud charges. I believe that was the case, which was why the unlocks were at least as expensive as the carrier, since the 3rd parties were interested in losing money.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Psykopathik wrote: afaik, current iPhones can only be unlocked via Apple's servers. Anything else is surely a scam.

ceredon wrote: Generally correct. They can only be unlocked via the Apple servers, but the set up only allows the carrier to submit the unlock. Apparently even Apple cannot access the whitelist to unlock, only the carrier to which it is locked. But yeah, the 3rd parties were usually paying someone inside the carrier to do the unlock. What isn't completely clear is whether they had to also submit the payment into the carrier system so as to avoid theft/fraud charges. I believe that was the case, which was why the unlocks were at least as expensive as the carrier, since the 3rd parties were interested in losing money.
Now the unlock are less then $50 from some of those ebay sellers.
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Now the unlock are less then $50 from some of those ebay sellers.
Meaning they either no longer have to submit payments to the carrier or never had to. Or scams.
Feb 12, 2005
211 posts
36 upvotes
What is the chance of the phone getting re-locked?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
adaseb wrote: What is the chance of the phone getting re-locked?
Iphones ???? ZERO
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
So what happens if you unlock a Rogers iPhone and then you bring it to the Apple Store for a warranty exchange? Will the replacement be unlocked as well?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Theory wrote: So what happens if you unlock a Rogers iPhone and then you bring it to the Apple Store for a warranty exchange? Will the replacement be unlocked as well?
As long as it was unlocked using the Apple database, a replacement from Apple will also be unlocked.
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
ceredon wrote: As long as it was unlocked using the Apple database, a replacement from Apple will also be unlocked.
Thanks for the reply! How about if you got a iPhone through a carrier and then changed the phone a couple of times via Apple Store warranty exchange. If you call your carrier, the IMEI would be different since the phone you have isn't the original and it would be a mess no?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Theory wrote: Thanks for the reply! How about if you got a iPhone through a carrier and then changed the phone a couple of times via Apple Store warranty exchange. If you call your carrier, the IMEI would be different since the phone you have isn't the original and it would be a mess no?
In the past, that was no problem (with Fido/Rogers). In fact, back when you had to wait till the end of your contract to unlock, I did exactly what you mention a number of times to get them unlocked early. I'd get the phone from Fido, exchange it with Apple, then call into Fido and have the unlock it. Because the IMEI wasn't in their system was being on contract, they'd do the unlock.

Today it might be more of a problem. I've read of them refusing to unlock if the IMEI isn't in their system, which is asinine for a couple reasons. First, they are turning away a completely free $50 and second, they are the only ones that can unlock iPhones locked to their network, so they know it has to be locked to their network. They have no reason to deny the unlock, but it has happened. So, better to unlock first if you need an exchange. That way the replacement will also be unlocked.
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
ceredon wrote: In the past, that was no problem (with Fido/Rogers). In fact, back when you had to wait till the end of your contract to unlock, I did exactly what you mention a number of times to get them unlocked early. I'd get the phone from Fido, exchange it with Apple, then call into Fido and have the unlock it. Because the IMEI wasn't in their system was being on contract, they'd do the unlock.

Today it might be more of a problem. I've read of them refusing to unlock if the IMEI isn't in their system, which is asinine for a couple reasons. First, they are turning away a completely free $50 and second, they are the only ones that can unlock iPhones locked to their network, so they know it has to be locked to their network. They have no reason to deny the unlock, but it has happened. So, better to unlock first if you need an exchange. That way the replacement will also be unlocked.
Ah I see, that makes sense. Much appreciated for your insight.

Cheers!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)