• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2016 12:07 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto

iPhone 7 Plus DOF Samples

I don't see a post here yet, but I think this feature is pretty great, and the camera is very, very good on this device. If I didn't shoot video once in a while for a job, I might dump my mirrorless altogether. Let's see some samples of this feature in action!
Images
  • IMG_0186.jpg
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Our ragdoll kitty, Edited in Lr Mobile

Comments:
-requires decent light or you get the "More light required" warning
-cannot do closeup/macro DE, "Move farther away" warning
-tiny sensor compared to 1" P&S or larger = noisy image when it does work in less than ideal lighting, original image above gritty before edit
-great for mobile, quality not great on desktop or printed
-DoF is software created with 2 shots which is not a true single shot slice with gradual bokeh forward and back

The last point could be argued first, you won't notice on mobile, second, it is really what we want in a portrait ie; all forward elements in focus, background out of focus, not some near forward elements out of focus when done on a real system.
Most of all, our current and largely next generation of photographers are shooting live or in the moment on mobile devices, no manual control needed, instant editing and sharing. Give a tween interested in photography a non touch screen dedicated camera and the first thing they want to do is tap the screen.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I could never pin it down, but there is an artificial look to a lot of the samples I’ve seen.

Since it’s just software, they’ll keep improving the algorithm tough. Knowing Apple, they’ll declare it better than the real thing at some point.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York
Looks like just blurring the background indiscriminately.

- I don't see how the objects far / near behind the subjects are being treated differently
- Light usually comes through in shape of octagon (depending on shutter blades) - instead of just a blur.

Good enough for casual / amateur photography I suppose, but no way this comes close to even replacing the real thing!

This is a quick example of the real thing

If iPhone is being used to take the shot above, the background is just a blur with no light trace.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
This is a shot I took of my photog friend and his pregnant wife on a 6D, are you saying that the lights in the back will not be bokeh balls and instead a blurred mess on an iPhone 7 Plus? Not sure myself, haven't tested it, although the noise would be terrible using the phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)