• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 2:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
172 posts
37 upvotes

IPhone 7+ or S8??

Have the opportunity to buy both at around $130-180. (work plan).

Which is a better phone?

I mainly use the phone for camera, a bit of post production work on the pics, social and productivity (podcasts, audio book etc)

I want to get into filming a bit more but it will be mainly limited to vlog.

I travel frequently

What is a better phone?

I'm currently using one plus 2 but do have an iPad.
20 replies
Dec 13, 2016
45 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
S8 for travelling taking for photo and video better to have a backup memory card.
2295 posts
178 upvotes
Waterloo
Both great phones. Ask yourself do you prefer the OS and apps on your iPad or your one plus 2, and that should give you your answer.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
Both great phones, both with positives and negatives, it's up to you decide which positives and negatives are important to you. For reference, DXOMark scored the cameras the same for both (both scored 88).
Public Mobile
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
172 posts
37 upvotes
app wise - i mean, both will have the same app. I have purchased a few apps on the google play store that I will lose if I switch over but it's not a huge deal given apps aren't super expensive.

s8 will be about $60 cheaper than the iPhone 7 + though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2888 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have an Android phone and an iPad Pro

Personally I find the apps a lot more polished and stable on iOS and I run the same apps on my phone.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Never consider the expandable memory into your equation, because you can always get a lightning to MicroSD card reader to be read on iOS. Personally, between the usability I'd say Apple is much more user friendly due to one button push apps vs having two screens (one for main and one for apps) on Android. But obviously innovation wise, Samsung or any Android phone's to be exact would win hands down. But I've been using Android phone's ever since Samsung Galaxy S, and always had issue's looking for apps (or scrolling through main screen and app screen looking for that one app I've downloaded in a sea full of rubbish apps from manufacturer). And the new iPhone's have great signal quality and good camera as well.

This is the main scenario why I switched.. 2% charge remaining on Android - PANIC where the hell is my charger! VS 2% charge remaining on Apple - Not to sweat I can still surf web and make a few calls before I get home.

Just my personally experience, others may have different opinion or views. Go to the Apple store and play around with an iPhone.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9256 posts
861 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:51 am
Never consider the expandable memory into your equation, because you can always get a lightning to MicroSD card reader to be read on iOS. Personally, between the usability I'd say Apple is much more user friendly due to one button push apps vs having two screens (one for main and one for apps) on Android. But obviously innovation wise, Samsung or any Android phone's to be exact would win hands down. But I've been using Android phone's ever since Samsung Galaxy S, and always had issue's looking for apps (or scrolling through main screen and app screen looking for that one app I've downloaded in a sea full of rubbish apps from manufacturer). And the new iPhone's have great signal quality and good camera as well.

This is the main scenario why I switched.. 2% charge remaining on Android - PANIC where the hell is my charger! VS 2% charge remaining on Apple - Not to sweat I can still surf web and make a few calls before I get home.

Just my personally experience, others may have different opinion or views. Go to the Apple store and play around with an iPhone.
So... to watch something that for whatever reason won't fit on the phone, I would need to buy a lightning to SD card which means I cannot use lightning to aux, which means I need wireless headphones which also means I can't charge at the same time? Just saying

I choose the S8 over the 7 due to these design decisions. (I have both iOS and Android devices prior to this decision)
- headphone jack
- SD card slot
- IP68
- AMOLED and bezel-less.
- wireless charging
- iOS notifcation on iOS10 at the time is frustrating.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
taro-chan wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:56 am
So... to watch something that for whatever reason won't fit on the phone, I would need to buy a lightning to SD card which means I cannot use lightning to aux, which means I need wireless headphones which also means I can't charge at the same time? Just saying

I choose the S8 over the 7 due to these design decisions. (I have both iOS and Android devices prior to this decision)
- headphone jack
- SD card slot
- IP68
- AMOLED and bezel-less.
- wireless charging
- iOS notifcation on iOS10 at the time is frustrating.
..And good luck trying to find a good HD tampered glass screen protector.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9256 posts
861 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:07 am
..And good luck trying to find a good HD tampered glass screen protector.
I can get a bunch of those if I wanted to verus getting and using one dongle at a time and possibly losing them.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
taro-chan wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:14 am
I can get a bunch of those if I wanted to verus getting and using one dongle at a time and possibly losing them.
I agree having MicroSD card slot is good for extra storage, but nowadays most people are using cloud storage as the means. So I can clearly see MicroSD starting to phase out soon, some Androids don't even have them anymore.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:22 am
I agree having MicroSD card slot is good for extra storage, but nowadays most people are using cloud storage as the means. So I can clearly see MicroSD starting to phase out soon, some Androids don't even have them anymore.
Cloud storage is great for storing your own photos and videos you've taken. Not so great for storing content that you actually want to have on your phone to consume (music, but especially video).
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9256 posts
861 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:22 am
It depends on your use case. For myself, when I am on a plane ... there is no cloud storage.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1206 posts
195 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
If you use your iPad a lot, I'd suggest the iPhone as the same ecosystem and syncing will be useful.

If not, my biased opinion would be the S8... ;-)