Cell Phones

The iPhone 8 ($929/$1,139), 8 Plus ($1,059/$1,269), X ($1,319/$1,529) Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 4:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14710 posts
3776 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^i remember making money on my upgrade from 3G to 3GS and breaking even on the 4 and 4s. Those were some wild times.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14710 posts
3776 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Busta wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:30 pm
Make up your judgement after you upgrade to iOS 11 ... the file management system is different and it compresses pics/videos better. I saved a few GBs after I updated, I was around low 70s and it went down to high 50s gb. Primarily from my pictures and videos. But then I moved everything to the cloud, monthly costs are pretty cheap, and now im at 31gb. so for me definitely it would be the 64gb.

General question, how would this phone perform on freedom mobile network? it has the band for it. Would be really interesting to see. I mean, if one saves on the monthly bills coming from rogers/bell/telus it would be tempting.
I’ve been running iOS 11 since dev beta 1. I’m pretty sure I was using more than 60GB used before the upgrade so it’s consistent with what you’re saying.
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10048 posts
2977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EH15 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:17 pm
I just don't think this design (the notch) as Apple's long term solution. I can't see them sticking with this design for 2, 3 generations. I just don't see it. If I had to guess they will update it by next year.
+1... I think that notch goes against everything Apple stood for in terms of design and style. I cannot imagine what Jon Ives was smoking when he approved that design.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:31 pm
^i remember making money on my upgrade from 3G to 3GS and breaking even on the 4 and 4s. Those were some wild times.
Ya, those were the times to be a Rogers customer. Around when HoFo was still unknown and RFD Effect was slow in its epidemic.

Around that time Blackberry was also strong with its presidential offers from Rogers, offering customers BB Bold, the 9000 and 9900 for $99 a piece on an upgrade!

Plus the stacks of monthly credits that were put onto accounts as long as the credits didn't add past the main voice portion of the account.

Those days are far gone though, and lack of offer on the 4S is why I jumped ship to Android, since Galaxy Nexus, the first curved screen dropped from Google.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10048 posts
2977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:31 pm
Good old days! Made money upgrading from 3G to 3GS to 4... I skipped the 4S... and at 5 Rogers no longer played the HUP game.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:39 pm
+1... I think that notch goes against everything Apple stood for in terms of design and style. I cannot imagine what Jon Ives was smoking when he approved that design.
You call it a notch, I call it a "widow's peak" everyone wants to leave a mark on their magnum opus.

Jan 29, 2013
610 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
d1ulove3 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:00 pm
iPhone 8 should be iPhone 7s
iPhone x should be iPhone 8
I don't disagree, but really, who cares, it's just a name.
Aug 27, 2009
280 posts
134 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:40 pm
Ya, those were the times to be a Rogers customer. Around when HoFo was still unknown and RFD Effect was slow in its epidemic.

Around that time Blackberry was also strong with its presidential offers from Rogers, offering customers BB Bold, the 9000 and 9900 for $99 a piece on an upgrade!

Plus the stacks of monthly credits that were put onto accounts as long as the credits didn't add past the main voice portion of the account.

Those days are far gone though, and lack of offer on the 4S is why I jumped ship to Android, since Galaxy Nexus, the first curved screen dropped from Google.
Heh, I had 30-40$ in recurring monthly credits. The good old days indeed.

Regarding Android I jumped last year with the S7e and TBH I couldn't wait to go back to iPhone... until I saw the price of the X... ffs.
I'm thinking of trying out those cheap[er] China brands.. Just hoping one of them supports our LTE bands.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1685 posts
211 upvotes
Red Deer
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:05 am
I think the storage issue will leave a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths when considering upgrading to the X.

It's one thing to charge $1319 for the base model X but then to f you on the storage options...in essence forcing you to pay $210 more for anything above 64gb is a bit much to handle. People that currently have a 7 will have a tough time deciding what to do.
That's the boat I'm in. I have a 7 128GB that I'm giving to my wife so that she can give her mom her iP6. I only buy outright (BYOD plan) and was all set on the X but the price has given me pause. It's not the actual price per-se, one and a half overtime shifts cover the X 256GB for me but it's more of a psychological barrier. The most I've ever spend on a phone is $1000-1100, I just can't bring myself to spend $1500+ on one. I think the base model X would have been an easy sell if it was 128GB, but at 64 it's just not appealing.

Somehow Apple managed to make the iP8 look like a bargain. I may actually wait for the Pixel announcement to decide although I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS so most probably end up just getting the 8, and wait to see what Apple does with the X next year.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
14710 posts
3776 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Rob76 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:11 pm
That's the boat I'm in. I have a 7 128GB that I'm giving to my wife so that she can give her mom her iP6. I only buy outright (BYOD plan) and was all set on the X but the price has given me pause. It's not the actual price per-se, one and a half overtime shifts cover the X 256GB for me but it's more of a psychological barrier. The most I've ever spend on a phone is $1000-1100, I just can't bring myself to spend $1500+ on one. I think the base model X would have been an easy sell if it was 128GB, but at 64 it's just not appealing.

Somehow Apple managed to make the iP8 look like a bargain. I may actually wait for the Pixel announcement to decide although I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS so most probably end up just getting the 8, and wait to see what Apple does with the X next year.
agreed. and apple would have known that. But supply (of the X in general) will be limited (hence every one made will be sold) and they don't want to cannibalize 256gb X sales so they strong-arm you into buying the most expensive model.
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1731 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 2:18 pm
agreed. and apple would have known that. But supply (of the X in general) will be limited (hence every one made will be sold) and they don't want to cannibalize 256gb X sales so they strong-arm you into buying the most expensive model.
Apple marketing has always been excellent.

Look at every student that has a Macbook in highschool or in University.
Apr 26, 2003
882 posts
22 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm no Apple fanboy but I am surprised so many people have a problem with the notch. It is pretty easy to see that Apple went for the notch because they wanted round corners on the screen which flows with the round corners on the housing. If they went with a straight bezel on top and round corners on the top then the centre of the radii would be different for the case and the housing.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
13993 posts
2310 upvotes
Toronto
Busta wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:30 pm
Make up your judgement after you upgrade to iOS 11 ... the file management system is different and it compresses pics/videos better. I saved a few GBs after I updated, I was around low 70s and it went down to high 50s gb. Primarily from my pictures and videos. But then I moved everything to the cloud, monthly costs are pretty cheap, and now im at 31gb. so for me definitely it would be the 64gb.

General question, how would this phone perform on freedom mobile network? it has the band for it. Would be really interesting to see. I mean, if one saves on the monthly bills coming from rogers/bell/telus it would be tempting.
That doesn't make sense. Most of the pics/video space savings come from using new file formats. The pre-existing pictures are not transcoded nor re-compressed. You could save a bit of space for other reasons but not 20 GB worth from multimedia files.

IOW, if you had 20 GB of JPEGs and h.264 files in iOS 10, after the iOS 11 upgrade, you will still have 20 GB of JPEGs and h.264 files. Only your NEW images and videos will be saving space, as HEIC and HEVC files.
AnimeEd wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:06 pm
I'm no Apple fanboy but I am surprised so many people have a problem with the notch. It is pretty easy to see that Apple went for the notch because they wanted round corners on the screen which flows with the round corners on the housing. If they went with a straight bezel on top and round corners on the top then the centre of the radii would be different for the case and the housing.
Yeah, the notch doesn't bother me that much. I'm surprised too so many people are bothered by it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39550 posts
8922 upvotes
For those who have perkopolis accounts, you can get an additional 2% off the MSRP. :)

I think we can also sign into Perkspot to buy on apple.com I think it's also 2% off!

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

Redflagger4