Cell Phones

The iPhone 8 ($929/$1,139), 8 Plus ($1,059/$1,269), X ($1,319/$1,529) Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 7:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14007 posts
2317 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:36 pm
I guess I like my photos and videos to be rectangular when I'm looking at it in either portrait and landscape mode. Seeing that notch block part of my photos and/or videos would bug me to no end. It would make more sense for Apple to create a notification area on either side of the notch and keeping it black so it blends in with the rest of the bezel. Then utilize the rest of the screen and not have to contend with the notch showing up and blocking things.
Oh, I understand your confusion now. iPhones had 16 : 9 screens, but the iPhone X does NOT have a 16 : 9 screen. It has a 19.5 : 9 screen. In other words, it has an extra space tacked onto one end, making it wider than a 16:9 screen. The videos do not play in the notched area.

Last edited by EugW on Sep 13th, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9842 posts
863 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Touch ID isnt fantastic either. I noticed if your finger had dirt, oils, dry skin, cut , etc., etc. it doesnt work. I had to keep resetting Touch ID every 2-3 mos. PITA. Apparently face ID accounts for that - if they get it working properly. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10057 posts
2980 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:51 pm
Oh, I understand your confusion now. iPhones had 16 : 9 screens, but the iPhone X does NOT have a 16 : 9 screen. It has a 19.5 : 9 screen. In other words, it has an extra space tacked onto one end, making it wider than a 16:9 screen. The videos do not play in the notched area.
Thanks for that. I guess in all the promotional photos I've seen posted, whenever a photo or video is being taken on the iPhone X, the image takes up the whole screen including the notch. I guess that's a bit misleading because if you're taking a 16:9 video, it won't take up the entire wide of the screen (when shooting in landscape mode).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14007 posts
2317 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:17 pm
HDR needs to be supported at the hardware level...anything else is not doing it justice.

You'll see a lot of displays that cannot reach 1000-nits yet still claiming HDR...that should raise a marketing red flag
OLED doesn't need 1000 nits to claim HDR, since OLED has much lower black levels. In fact, even in the official specs for HDR, OLED gets exempted from the 1000 nit spec for this reason.

That said, in a bright environment, OLED can have problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9526 posts
3648 upvotes
Southern Ontario
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:36 pm
Also, spec sheet doesn't say how much P3 coverage. Would be nice if it covered the full AdobeRGB like my laptop and monitors. I think mobile editing apps are a joke though..but it's still nice to have these beefy specs to further justify the price tag
I edit on a P3 5K monitor. P3 on 7's are already pretty good, it just lacks automatic white point adaption present in the new iPad Pro. Both of that on an OLED display is going to be sweet, Note 8 is a good preview.

In regards to editing, Snapseed is awesome and FREE, considering most people don't edit at all anything close to like what we do in Lightroom, maybe apply filters at best.

We have to remember, it's apples and oranges, the mobile equivalent of carrying a dedicated camera and LTE laptop around. Is the IQ as good? No. But we're just delving into computational imaging like Portrait Mode and Portrait Lighting which our gear doesn't do anyway. I think as a fellow photographer, you and I can scoff at imitations of real DoF bokeh and proper lighting setups, BUT it's more than good enough in the mobile social world. It's not like it's being printed or we're being paid for it in which we would use the proper tools.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1487 posts
724 upvotes
I don't think there'll be a successor to the iPhone X next year. I think they were hinting that they were gonna do a special edition phone every 10 years. I also think they will get rid of the numbering scheme like their other products. Probably just be called iPhone next year like the iPad.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10940 posts
1345 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:51 pm
see 2:38 onwards
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14007 posts
2317 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:48 pm
see 2:38 onwards
Yes. You can expand the video to play in the notched area, but you can also see there the "safe" area for the video excludes the notched area for video playback.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10940 posts
1345 upvotes
Markham
80TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 60TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
40TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
11TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2012 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro / 6TB HP Mediasmart EX 485
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
247 upvotes
Just curious, how often are you guys watching movies on your phone? I'm OCD and can understand the criticism but I wasn't expecting it to be so universally negative. Apple always gets ridiculed for being form over function but they try to add Face ID and everyone's crying aesthetics is down the tube. I'm sure if it was technically feasible, the engineers would've eliminated the notch....but alas they have to cram in like 8 sensors
AncasterRFD wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 5:13 pm
We have to remember, it's apples and oranges, the mobile equivalent of carrying a dedicated camera and LTE laptop around. Is the IQ as good? No. But we're just delving into computational imaging like Portrait Mode and Portrait Lighting which our gear doesn't do anyway. I think as a fellow photographer, you and I can scoff at imitations of real DoF bokeh and proper lighting setups, BUT it's more than good enough in the mobile social world. It's not like it's being printed or we're being paid for it in which we would use the proper tools.
When I'm travelling I'll take a 2-in-1 laptop as a photo backup machine with me weighing less than 3 lbs, so if I really have nothing better to do in the hotel, I guess I could fire up LR

but yes I understand the widespead appeal and 110% welcome wider gamut. Just would be nice if they provided a white paper detailing the specs a bit more.

repped for the SS tricks...I'm on Anrdoid so don't bother developing RAW on a phone.
Last edited by twitchyzero on Sep 13th, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1487 posts
724 upvotes
Too bad for Fido customers. Just asked my rep and he said Fido is not carrying the X only the 8's. Sad, forced to buy outright then, at least I'll get 15% off friends and family discount. :D
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7710 posts
1239 upvotes
Edmonton
Why the hell would anyone pay this kind of money???
Mar 25, 2006
413 posts
26 upvotes
Hamilton
only reason I am not jumping at getting the iPhone X is because it lacks TouchID on screen which it was suppose to have I will have to wait until next year to get the iPhone X2.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9526 posts
3648 upvotes
Southern Ontario
twitchyzero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 7:25 pm
When I'm travelling I'll take a 2-in-1 laptop as a photo backup machine with me weighing less than 3 lbs, so if I really have nothing better to do in the hotel, I guess I could fire up LR
So do I sometimes but it's not something I carry every single day. The phrase should be extended, "The best camera is the one on you, the same one you can instantly edit and share on".

To be clear, I do understand the limitations of a phone sensor with a fixed aperture and limited focal length of 2 choices.
Mar 25, 2006
413 posts
26 upvotes
Hamilton
rsxmachine wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:57 pm
Very possible, but then the question is why isn't touch id on the back. Apple would have done it, but they wanted to try and move forward with technology. I am confident, unless face id fails (which i highly doubt based on the testing apple has done), touch id will be a thing of the past on future products.
Apple was so focused on making TouchID on screen that they didn't have a fall back plan to place touch ID on the back or even on the power button on the side. Hopefully next year touchID will be a reality of some sort. That will be the phone I will buy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

6o4_dc