Page 1 of 1

iPhone app recommendations for grocery price tracking

Posted: Mar 27th, 2011 7:35 pm
by KeenInvestor
Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for an iPhone app that let's me scan the barcode of a grocery item, allow me to type in what it is (if it can't already download that from the Internet) and then allow me to type in when and where I bought it and for how much. Then later on, I can scan the same item in another store and have it search my database and tell me how much I paid for it last time and allow me to edit that entry if I have found that item cheaper. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Re: iPhone app recommendations for grocery price tracking

Posted: Mar 27th, 2011 7:59 pm
by aokec
KeenInvestor wrote: Hi, I'm looking for a recommendation for an iPhone app that let's me scan the barcode of a grocery item, allow me to type in what it is (if it can't already download that from the Internet) and then allow me to type in when and where I bought it and for how much. Then later on, I can scan the same item in another store and have it search my database and tell me how much I paid for it last time and allow me to edit that entry if I have found that item cheaper. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Tried CardStar but it sucks, doesn't read a single barcode.

It's clear the app inventor probably knew it didn't work but tried to slip it through Apple anyways.

Posted: Mar 27th, 2011 8:20 pm
by dishguy1977
aokec wrote: Tried CardStar but it sucks, doesn't read a single barcode.

It's clear the app inventor probably knew it didn't work but tried to slip it through Apple anyways.

Isn't CardStar for storing all of your "loyalty" cards so that the retailer can scan your phone instead of you having to carry a million different points cards? The OP is looking for something that he can use to scan UPC's of items and input and store their pricing.

Posted: Mar 27th, 2011 9:42 pm
by goofball
You could try RedLaser?

Posted: Mar 29th, 2011 1:48 am
by aokec
dishguy1977 wrote: Isn't CardStar for storing all of your "loyalty" cards so that the retailer can scan your phone instead of you having to carry a million different points cards? The OP is looking for something that he can use to scan UPC's of items and input and store their pricing.

none of Cardstar barcodes scan for my Iphone 4

Posted: Mar 29th, 2011 2:22 pm
by 5abi
that would be a great app.

also usefull to take advantage and get money back for credit card purchase price protection for 60 days after purchase

Posted: Mar 29th, 2011 2:50 pm
by KeenInvestor
A lot of the apps that I have tried seem to try and match the barcode with details kept on a server and then give you price comparison data based on what is on the server. A lot of this is American data. I'm more interested in what I can compare against within a database of items that I build on the iPhone.

Posted: Mar 30th, 2011 9:14 am
by sacabeans
Basically you are looking for a pricebook app. I created the file in excel based on online flyers and just emailed it to myself. If you do find the app I would be interested in it too.

Posted: Mar 31st, 2011 7:01 am
by KeenInvestor
Grocery Gadget is $3.99 but seems to do the job. The website is an error packed mess, the online shopping lists fail, you try and message support and that fails, however the app does have the functions I want.

I was able to scan the barcodes from my last shopping trip. Being Canadian, the matches failed. I then entered the prices, details, etc manually. Then when in another store, I scanned the barcode of one of those items and it brought up the manually entered information and previously paid price.

As long as I'm willing to manually keep things updated, I can see myself using this app a lot. Worth $3.99? Debatable!

Posted: Mar 31st, 2011 3:01 pm
by KeenInvestor

ShopSavy?

Posted: Mar 31st, 2011 6:12 pm
by brunes
ShopSavvy for Android does this perfectly. they have it for iPhone too so I assume it has the same functions.

http://shopsavvy.mobi/

Of course, the "local price match" feature seldom works in Canada. But you can enter all of your own prices no problem. Frankly I am usually much less concerned with the local price match as I am with the online Amazon.com etc. price match anyway.

Posted: Apr 1st, 2011 9:09 am
by pnyknights
goofball wrote: You could try RedLaser?

I have redlaser on my phone. It will scan most boxed or other packaged items but often at most gives me US prices. I have yet to try it on any grocery/produce.