Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

iPhone: best time for buying

need to buy an iPhone for my lady. will be used on speakout (no data only airtime and text).
need suggestion (where to buy (apple in yorkdale mall?), best time to buy, any other points to consider?) for a contract less unlocked SO compatible iPhone.
any price suggestion would be appreciated.
should i consider BB Z10 instead?
32 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Depends on your lady.

No data really cripples a phone.

If your lady likes games, then iPhone or Android are both good choices. If she is big on email and communications, then the Z10 is a good choice.

I think a good option is to buy a Samsung Galaxy Ace at Koodo for $150 on the Pay As You Go plan and don't bother activating the line.
Banned
Mar 4, 2010
209 posts
15 upvotes
3years ago when the phone was actually decent compared to the alternatives

Now its just a very outdated and and underwhelming phone . its like asking the question when is a good tine to buy a BB9700 lol
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
she just need for text and calls. no email or internet or game use.

its a kind of emotional thing. the word iPhone is a big catch. if i were she i would have gone for bb or galaxy but.........
so where should i go and when should i for iphone.
PLZ note: very limited use: text and call only on speakout. tnx
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
spiderman6 wrote: she just need for text and calls. no email or internet or game use.

its a kind of emotional thing. the word iPhone is a big catch. if i were she i would have gone for bb or galaxy but.........
so where should i go and when should i for iphone.
PLZ note: very limited use: text and call only on speakout. tnx
Then whats the point in getting a smart phone if she's just doing to do that? Mind as well get a flip phone.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
no point actually. it is the feeling- u have an iPhone in ur hand. any suggestion on source/timing plz?
EnyCe wrote: Then whats the point in getting a smart phone if she's just doing to do that? Mind as well get a flip phone.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
i bought an iphone 4 for my mom because she was comfortable using it. She uses it on speakout and i have activated the $10 UMB for her on her line. She uses it essentially to watch youtube videos on the go. She uses her phone primarily for calls/texts so it works pretty well for her. Its simple and easy to use so i dont really have to explain anything to her.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
spiderman6 wrote: no point actually. it is the feeling- u have an iPhone in ur hand. any suggestion on source/timing plz?
Save yourself a couple hundred dollars and get a normal talk and text phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
Buying used is not an option?

That would really be the best.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1065 posts
111 upvotes
Halifax
If you want it unlocked you might as well buy it at apple.

the next Iphone is rumored to come out in June so the price for new phones wont change till after that.

Because a new model comes out every year you might as well get the 5 $699 or even the 4S $599 or 4S $450 as you state she wont use data
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
Check BST for an iPhone 4 or 4S. Cheaper if she's low maintenance on phones and wants an iPhone.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1667 posts
532 upvotes
GTA
two options brother:

1) buy a used unlocked Iphone4. will cost around $220ish? but if ur lady doesn't like used phones this might not work (although I'm sure you can find mint condition ones)
2) buy a iphone4 8gb from Koodo, cancel right away, and pay for an unlock which will cost around $30 (search Kijiji for koodo iphone unlock).
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2849 posts
502 upvotes
Mississauga
iphone is outdated now...so its not the best time to buy it...
and if you are only just texting..., i think an old bb will work great...
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
thanks all for ur suggestions. some of u r missing few points:

a. basically need the brand name 'iPhone'
b. its a gift for my lady, hence used/refurbished isnt an option
c. light user so 4 or 4S is ok as long as serves text/call purpose
d. regular source like apple, BB, FS kind of easy ones all i am after
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
My friend bought a mint one on BST, and passed it off as new :D LOL
Go the koodo route. Sounds like she doesnt need much memory on the phone either as suggested a few posts up
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
This thread is so fail on many levels. Getting an iPhone because of the brand. Not using Internet, apps, email etc which pretty much makes a smart phone, a smart phone.

Like I said, if all she's doing is talking and texting get a normal phone. Or even a BlackBerry. Save yourself a couple hundred dollars on something that's much more logical.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
EnyCe wrote: This thread is so fail on many levels. Getting an iPhone because of the brand. Not using Internet, apps, email etc which pretty much makes a smart phone, a smart phone.

Like I said, if all she's doing is talking and texting get a normal phone. Or even a BlackBerry. Save yourself a couple hundred dollars on something that's much more logical.
Well that can apply to anything. Why wear a nice watch when a dollar store will do. Or nice shoes, clothes, etc. why buy an LCD tv when you can find a free CRT tv?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10493 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
People are still failing to understand the OP's situation. This is nothing to do with utility of the phone. If your girl asks you for an iPhone you do not get her a BlackBerry. If you do, then you might as well not get her anything. OP just buy it unlocked from Apple directly.