• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 7:59 am
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
630 posts
166 upvotes
Mars.

iPhone block amber alerts

I see on the web that you can block Amber Alerts by going to settings ->notifications and then scrolling to the bottom.

On Rogers here but that's not an option. I managed to block these annoying alerts on my old Android, but how do I do this on my iPhone?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14847 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto
Not available on my factory unlocked iPhone either, on Fido. My understanding is there is no opt-out option in Canada now.

BTW, why TF do they have a alert with a loud alarm just to tell you the amber alert is over?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1065 posts
371 upvotes
GTA
Some people got them, and some didn't it's so strange. I didn't get any alert here. My phone was on ring mode, not on vibrate or silent.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
630 posts
166 upvotes
Mars.
EugW wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:59 pm
Not available on my factory unlocked iPhone either, on Fido. My understanding is there is no opt-out option in Canada now.

BTW, why TF do they have a alert with a loud alarm just to tell you the amber alert is over?
Works for Android still though. So no opt out but on Android devices you can silence it.

And yes, the last point is why I lost my ****.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1548 posts
418 upvotes
Woodbridge
Alarm for the English alert. Alarm later for the French alert. Alarm for the alert ending. They need to get some specific sounds. I mean, if my health and safety is in imminent danger, go ahead and sound all the alarms. For something else like this, I'm sure a less invasive alarm would be fine.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10905 posts
3335 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Didn't get the test alerts last week and didn't get any alarms today. Blessing in disguise? On Rogers with an iPhone X.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13711 posts
4748 upvotes
Oakville
My phone started reading the alert aloud! I was impressed.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
630 posts
166 upvotes
Mars.
jvnanu wrote:
May 14th, 2018 3:36 pm
Alarm for the English alert. Alarm later for the French alert. Alarm for the alert ending. They need to get some specific sounds. I mean, if my health and safety is in imminent danger, go ahead and sound all the alarms. For something else like this, I'm sure a less invasive alarm would be fine.
Agreed. Quite frankly I don't get AF about an amber alert that's not even within 4 hours of where I live.

FFS.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17269 posts
1255 upvotes
Niagara Falls
superangrypenguin wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:22 pm
Agreed. Quite frankly I don't get AF about an amber alert that's not even within 4 hours of where I live.

FFS.
One of the main points of this system was that it was supposed to be localized. Perhaps this Amber Alert wasn't localized because it was sent out so long after the incident occurred that it could potentially affect all of Ontario.

The alert to state the alert is ending is idiotic though. Send a message sure, don't need to blast it full volume for 10 seconds or however long it was.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2351 posts
1058 upvotes
Muskoka
Why did it take almost 30 mins for the French alert - really? It took that long to translate?

But I think a muted alert for those phone that are muted would get read by enough of the owners of those devices. But I'm sure this has point been debated long before today.
Koodo
Public Mobile
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
630 posts
166 upvotes
Mars.
Evil Baby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:27 pm
One of the main points of this system was that it was supposed to be localized. Perhaps this Amber Alert wasn't localized because it was sent out so long after the incident occurred that it could potentially affect all of Ontario.

The alert to state the alert is ending is idiotic though. Send a message sure, don't need to blast it full volume for 10 seconds or however long it was.
Agreed on all fronts. That said, I quite frankly don't give a damn about amber alerts. The whole point of this system was to allow people to know that an impending nuclear reactor was about to explode or a warhead from Russia is about to get dropped on our backyard. An Amber Alert is not an imminent loss of life threat for any of us who received it, and yes, I get the point of amber alerts and they absolutely have a place, but to blast it to EVERYONE (allegedly) and to interrupt all of our days when there's a very little to no possibility that we can do a thing about it, then well, it's a waste of our time and quite frankly I want to opt out.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1548 posts
418 upvotes
Woodbridge
Luckily, my device settings allow me to block AMBER alerts specifically or force it to vibrate and never ring.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
13711 posts
4748 upvotes
Oakville
spotts01 wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:34 pm
Why did it take almost 30 mins for the French alert - really? It took that long to translate?
THey're clearly still working on the system. Half the people at my office didn't get the alert at all.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB recipient
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27748 posts
3576 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wearysky wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:04 pm
My phone started reading the alert aloud! I was impressed.
Mine did the same thing, but it butchered the French
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1420 posts
390 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:27 pm

Did anyone in Manitoba get the alert? Seems like going west is a likely option for the suspect. Or even crossing into the US.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)