Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15806 posts
3582 upvotes
Toronto

iPhone Icloud/Activation Locked

I see a lot of people buying these devices on Kijiji and people selling them. Curious do these people buy them and unlock them somehow? They use some sort of software or what? I am an Android user.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11678 posts
3741 upvotes
Toronto, ON
carmaster wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:05 pm
I see a lot of people buying these devices on Kijiji and people selling them. Curious do these people buy them and unlock them somehow? They use some sort of software or what? I am an Android user.
Before selling, the seller should logout of icloud and disable Find my iphone. That way, the activation lock is disabled. Then the seller should reset the phone. That way, when the buyer gets the phone, the phone will be at the first set up screen, waiting for the SIM card to activate the phone.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15806 posts
3582 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:49 pm
Before selling, the seller should logout of icloud and disable Find my iphone. That way, the activation lock is disabled. Then the seller should reset the phone. That way, when the buyer gets the phone, the phone will be at the first set up screen, waiting for the SIM card to activate the phone.
Ya I know but I see a lot of people selling icloud locked phones, they say they forget the password or whatever. Curious.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14768 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe people are buying them for parts like the screen and back housing?

The motherboard and fingerprint sensor would be useless.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13146 posts
2528 upvotes
Markham
carmaster wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:52 pm
Ya I know but I see a lot of people selling icloud locked phones, they say they forget the password or whatever. Curious.
stolen phones.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2098 posts
548 upvotes
Woodbridge
carmaster wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:52 pm
If someone is the legitimate owner of an iPhone and simply forgot their password, I'm thinking that this problem would have a relatively easy fix at an Apple store. Selling a phone because someone "forgot the password" rings all sorts of stolen goods alarm bells in my head.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4955 posts
1078 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
carmaster wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:05 pm
95% are stolen lost found and 5% are owner forgot the password.

Freedom Mobile

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5019 posts
1320 upvotes
Aurora
A legit owner would go to https://appleid.apple.com and reset their forgotten AppleID password after going through the various validations. If the actual Apple ID email is forgotten, this is at least a good place to try out other emails.
Aug 6, 2016
18 posts
7 upvotes
if you're the legitimate owner (you have a receipt) of the phone it's easy to get it unlocked. even if you forgot your Apple ID and password.

but if you don't have proof that it's yours it's a nightmare.

maybe it's possible to hack through it because the apple techs gotta remove it somehow.
Oct 4, 2015
3 posts
1 upvote
Guelph
I bought two watches from an auction, just as an experiment to see how this "unlocking" works. I am placing this unlocking on purpose between quotation marks. First of all it is an experiment, well knowing that these watches are locked, so I did not pay a lot of money for them. They arrived in pristine state, like one of them was never work, just all wrapped up still. They came from an auction, I buy a lot of stuff there and was bored :-) So to answer your first question, yes they are being used for all the parts, like the housing, the glass / digitizer etc. Wrist band, charger all are not tied to iCloud. Everything Apple is worth something in parts. Now the iCloud story, I did three days of research and located a service. There were actually three legit sites that had write ups on these "iCloud Unlockers". The funny part is that they had me pay 34 CAD and then asked for another some 51 CAD (rounded down). So I paid these "services". They show you a "tracker" and around 50% they will contact you with the sad news that your serial number or IMEI was reported stolen by Apple. They cannot continue with the "unlock" but are offering you a "voucher" to use at a later time. They also inform you that there is going to be a "Premium" service, which is just not ready yet but will be soon and they will contact you when that happens (trust me, it will never happen). One of the lines in their email is the following: If you do not wish to to use our Any Network (Worldwide) Premium Service to unlock this IMEI or have no other IMEI to unlock, and you believe the status of your iPhone to be clean and can provide proof that the IMEI is not lost/stolen or in contract, please reply to this email with proof and we will be only too happy to authorise a card refund.
This has of course a spelling mistake in it, so it is easy to identify how scammy this.
Oh and for the record, I was asking for an Apple Watch unlock, not an iPhone, small detail..... Watches, without LTE, do not carry an IMEI as far as I know.
They also provide a wonderful website where you can "see" if your device is clean. The site is: http://cleancheck.me now I do not have to tell you how silly this is, now do I? Obviously this site will grab any submitted code and tell you it is dirty, in the mean time they have your information, not a secure site...
Oh I did all of this on a Chromebook with a guest account, after which is completely wiped the Chromebook and reinstalled it.

Folks, there is no iCloud unlock, there is no iCloud DNS bypass that lets you use your device. Sorry to tell you. The only thing these bricked watches are used for is parts, and like I said those parts are still worth some money, that is why you see them on eBay and Kijiji.

The sites that all tie to one or the other and run into a huge loop are CellUnlocker.co.uk, https://whytheluckystiff.net/how-to-unl ... d-account/ (this site talks in depth about the wonderful services of https://iphoneimei.net) and all these sites point back to the CellUnlocker.co.uk. How do I know? Well for one I could track my progress on all of these sites and the email communication from the first site showed up on the other two, coincidence? I think NOT.
There is also Dr. Fone (https://drfone.wondershare.com/) where you can download software - the download is pointing to: http://download.wondershare.com/drfone_recover_full3366 - again a site with no SSL).

So you see, I have done quite a bit of research, not even speaking about the hours and hours of reading and trying and now I have given up :-)
Feb 11, 2007
877 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting article on what thieves do with icloud locked iphones.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... len-iphone
There are three ways to remove an iCloud account from an iPhone:

The password to the original owner’s iCloud can be entered to remove it, which a hacker could obtain via phishing.

An Apple Store manager can override iCloud. Scammers can trick Apple Store managers into unlocking a device they don’t own.

The iPhone's CPU can be removed from the Logic Board and reprogrammed to create what is essentially a “new” device (this is very labor intensive and rare. It is generally done in Chinese refurbishing labs and involves stealing a “clean” phone identification number called an IMEI.)

Each of these methods are used to unlock specific devices and resell them, though some methods are far easier and more widely used than others.

“Not every iCloud-locked phone is a stolen device,” RootJunky, an instructor at Phonlab, a company that teaches smartphone repair shops about software-related issues in the industry, told Motherboard. “But every method for removing iCloud involves illegal activity.”