Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dollarama

Iphone / Ipod car charger for $2 (Dollarama)

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2011 6:49 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto

[Dollarama] Iphone / Ipod car charger for $2 (Dollarama)

I just got back from the Dollarama at Victoria Park / Danforth in Toronto, and they were selling iphone / ipod car chargers for $2. I thought this was a pretty decent deal since the cheapest I've bought one for recently was $8 at Winners.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/6148/img0223or.jpg
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
this is a pretty decent deal considering on ebay/dx/fp it is about $3 for charger and cable.
and this is local.
Banned
Jun 2, 2010
411 posts
27 upvotes
I've never been too confident in any of these 2 dollar chargers. I am sure it won't break your ipod/iphone but how long will it last for?
Apr 20, 2005
286 posts
18 upvotes
I think we need a guinea pig...

Basically, I believe Apple disabled 12v (ole Firewire) charging on anything newer than an iPhone 3GS and only allow 5V USB charging now.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
Be careful, I bought a cheap car charger for my iPhone and it fried it. Luckily It was under warranty and Apple replaced it. Was dead as a doorknob.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1776 posts
572 upvotes
GTA
kasm wrote: Be careful, I bought a cheap car charger for my iPhone and it fried it. Luckily It was under warranty and Apple replaced it. Was dead as a doorknob.

What iphone model do you have? Where did you buy your cheap car charger?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
2093 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone seen them at any Mississauga or Brampton dollarama?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4795 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
Coppertone2005 wrote: What iphone model do you have? Where did you buy your cheap car charger?

Good question. Apple changed from 12V to 5V. $2 may be cheap, but it could cost you in the long run.
Sep 18, 2010
83 posts
33 upvotes
there's a reason the dollar store can operate at a profit.

there's always something dysfunctional about their merchandise. The ice cube trays break when you try to retrieve ice. The designs on journals/notebooks rub off, i'm sure there's something wrong with the paper in there too.

In short,

I really wouldn't risk it. Just pay the extra few bucks at a real retailer.
Dec 6, 2005
634 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
i had one of these chargers, it fried the circuit board, wouldn't recommend it
Jun 27, 2004
792 posts
108 upvotes
Perfect for people like me who have an ooold iPod nano that barely holds a charge anymore.
I can keep this in the car with my iPod and not worry about running out of juice after 3 songs.

:)
Aug 11, 2004
391 posts
69 upvotes
definitely will not work with an iphone 4. You will receive the not supported message in the best case scenario,worst case congratulations you have just toasted your iphone 4 :cry:
Dec 8, 2006
627 posts
334 upvotes
Scarborough
Bought one like this at Giant Tiger. Plugged it in, light came on! Attached to phone and nothing happened..Car was on btw
Deal Fanatic
Jan 29, 2007
8237 posts
1413 upvotes
Montreal
I bought a iphone/ipod wall charger that came with the usb cable from a dollar store in Montreal...

No problems and it's been over 1 year I've had it...

The same brand name also sold the charger for a car as well though I didn't buy one...
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1776 posts
572 upvotes
GTA
Picked one up today at Hwy 7 & Martingrove. Cheap and it works on my 1st gen nano.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2008
2831 posts
371 upvotes
Coppertone2005 wrote: Picked one up today at Hwy 7 & Martingrove. Cheap and it works on my 1st gen nano.

LOL me too! I still have a 1st gen nano just for the car...

hey if we are lucky Apple will issue a recall for the battery! like in Japan :D

anyhoo I would not hook this up to my iPhone... also do not forget to disconnect this when you are starting the car as the surge will damage the iPod
Jun 20, 2006
19 posts
10 upvotes
I bought one and tried it. worked for my iphone 4. although if i read this post first, i probably would have never tried. Might be a quality control issue. Some work fine, some fry fine.

wonder if one that works can break and the start frying phones?

one complaint is the red light is quite bright and is a bit annoying driving at night.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1244 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton
Just bought it and so far it's working great with my iPhone 4. Thanks for above post that made me buy it
Previous wins:
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)