Cell Phones

iPhone owners, take the time to do this...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2009 2:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario

iPhone owners, take the time to do this...

If you have ever lost your cell phone, it's a terrible experience.
With new smartphones, losing one is like losing a limb, lol.
Take a few minutes to employ one or more of the below.
Of course most of these methods rely on the altruism of the finder:

Set a passcode!

Go to Settings, and set the phone to erase all data on your phone after 10 (or whatever you choose) passcode attempts.

Download "Wallpaper Labeller" free and put text on your wallpaper, like a "If found, email and phone number".
http://www.ehow.com/how_5041536_label-w ... phone.html

You can do the same thing physically with a label maker and apply to the back of your phone. I cover mine with a case so it's not visible which may defeat the purpose as the finder has to remove the case.

I use iLocalis (requires jailbreak), it works, not completely accurate but you have a general idea where it is. One of the six ways:
http://techpp.com/2009/09/18/6-ways-to- ... hone-free/

Now if you're phone is found by a not so altruistic person, then you're SOL.
They'll sell it, unlock you're phone, if possible, and put in a new SIM, or whatever.
In that case, call your provider and see if they will blacklist the IMEI so that it cannot be used with any local provider. Now I have heard that they may not do this, so file a police report (if it was stolen) and see if it changes their mind. At least it turns your phone into an iPod.

And practice common sense in the general handling of your phone and where you keep it.
Any other ideas RFD cell community? :)
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
I've only listed the free options RFD style, the two you mentioned are in the link up there.
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
When I first set up my phone, I used the passcode and self deletion but it got tedious and I disabled it. You get no points for being lazy though so.

Good tips, nonetheless.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
May 17, 2009
50 posts
Toronto, ON
If you are going to rely on that for someone returning your phone you're better off hoping that they just call "Home" on your phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
Mattguy wrote: If you are going to rely on that for someone returning your phone you're better off hoping that they just call "Home" on your phone.
+1 I've found two phones and returned them by calling Home or Mom.. Dad's usually don't care as much :) the moms get really panicky
Yelp.ca - Review your favorite and not-so favorite restaurants, shops, businesses, anything!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
If someone can call Home, Mom, or whoever on your phone, doesn't that mean you don't have a passcode set? I would be worried about any personal information being taken without one set.
Is there a way for a hacker to bypass the passcode?
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1705 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal
zoolander wrote: If someone can call Home, Mom, or whoever on your phone, doesn't that mean you don't have a passcode set? I would be worried about any personal information being taken without one set.
Is there a way for a hacker to bypass the passcode?
The only way to bypass the passcode is by doing a restore. Whouldn't be suprise possibly with a jailbreak as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)