• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 5:42 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa

iPhone price and exorbitant apple profit

Got a Huawei P30 lite 2 years ago for $7 buck extra a month on my plan. Amazing phone (lost in a snowy Aspen mountain)

Now I am looking to get a new phone. Samsung is out of the picture since many years ago my plastic Note II just dropped dead in a year for no reason.

So now it's iphone or other brand. I get it that apple products are very good. my mom's ipad works very well for years. by man, it's expensive. just read somewhere that Apple makes 300 billions a year. I guess that's why iphone is so expensive.

I hate contribute my hard earn money to further enrich a filthy rich corporation.

Really missed my $7 bucks phone. Huawei makes very good phone. I dropped the phone severely and it still working unlike the Samsung one, which I never dropped.

I don't buy those security risk crap. It's just all politic at the expense of ordinary people by eliminate competition.

Still not sure what phone I am going to get....
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
Why Apple needs to make 300 billions a year? !
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2006
1152 posts
734 upvotes
St Johns
Face With Tears Of Joy why do the Canadian banks need each billions in profit per year ?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Why shouldn't they if they can?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2020
1405 posts
1686 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Why shouldn't they if they can?
Most of Apple's customers need their own money far more than Apple's shareholders need it.

It's unethical for Apple (or any other capitalist) to take money that people need merely to satisfy Apple's sense of entitlement for luxuries its shareholders want.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
It's called capitalism bro. Were you just born yesterday?
Nov 30, 2016
389 posts
549 upvotes
Ontario
So if Apple made cheaper phones say on a plan for $7/month but continue to make $300 billion+ per year in profits.

Would you still buy one? Thinking Face
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
iamskyhigh wrote: It's called capitalism bro. Were you just born yesterday?
It's not just capitalism. it's mostly geopolitics, corporate America interest at the expense of consumers.

Don't worry sis(it is sexism to assume someone's gender). I studied business, economics, politic and philosophy back in university. I was just being sarcastic.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
coriolis wrote: Why shouldn't they if they can?
that's why we need competition. like the banking and communication industry, lacking competition.

of course there are people who are willing to pay more for the name, vanity and so-called 'patriotisms". but are these corporation patriotic by ripping average joes?
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
MadCatz wrote: So if Apple made cheaper phones say on a plan for $7/month but continue to make $300 billion+ per year in profits.

Would you still buy one? Thinking Face
depend on the alternatives. can I get a better one for 7 bucks? It's not that I can't pay more. but why do I want to pay more if I can get a very good one for dirt cheap price?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
1000islands wrote: It's not just capitalism. it's mostly geopolitics, corporate America interest at the expense of consumers.
No one needs to have an iPhone and, last time I checked, no one is forcing consumers to buy an iPhone. Humanity has survived for a very long time without a cell phone at all.

Would you feel differently if you owned 10% of Apple's outstanding shares?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Not to jump on ya here, but your last two phones have been lost on Mt.Everest and dropped so why are you blaming the brands? Do you really think Apple phones are much better than Android? If you like Android stick to it, with way more choices and get a phone 1-2 years off of launch and not pay a bundle. Pretty simple if you ask me but what do I know...I dropped a phone in the pisser and only blamed myself not, lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8798 upvotes
Ridiculous. Just take a second and imagine if iPhone was never invented... We would probably all be using flip phones still

Maybe a bit of exaggeration, but we wouldn't have the plethora of phones to choose from that we do now, and they certainly wouldn't be as cheap as they are without Apple driving the flagship market
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
redsfan wrote: Not to jump on ya here, but your last two phones have been lost on Mt.Everest and dropped so why are you blaming the brands? Do you really think Apple phones are much better than Android? If you like Android stick to it, with way more choices and get a phone 1-2 years off of launch and not pay a bundle. Pretty simple if you ask me but what do I know...I dropped a phone in the pisser and only blamed myself not, lol
Pretty much. I'd love to see OP's reaction when they get an iPhone or similar product and then drop it. Also, blaming a company for one product released 9 years ago that you purchased is pathetic. If you hold grudges that long, the problem isn't phone manufacturers........
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
redsfan wrote: Not to jump on ya here, but your last two phones have been lost on Mt.Everest and dropped so why are you blaming the brands? Do you really think Apple phones are much better than Android? If you like Android stick to it, with way more choices and get a phone 1-2 years off of launch and not pay a bundle. Pretty simple if you ask me but what do I know...I dropped a phone in the pisser and only blamed myself not, lol
lol.........ridiculous. When did I blame the manufacturer of the phone I lost? I did blame the manufacture who made the phone that die in one year for no reason. is that wrong?

I need a phone that can take great picture. I couldn't care less about if it's Android or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
Basically I just disgusted how USA kill a phone manufacture than make great camera that severely limit my option.

Nope, I don't like it that "Eight Billionaires Own as Much as Poorest Half of Global Population". I don't think that's fine and right.
Last edited by 1000islands on Sep 6th, 2021 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
Enlightening read:

https://oi-files-d8-prod.s3.eu-west-2.a ... 117-en.pdf

"Even the technology sector, once seen as a sector that is relatively above board, is
increasingly linked to charges of cronyism. Alphabet, the parent company of Google, has
become one of the biggest lobbyists in Washington and is in constant negotiations in Europe
over anti-trust rules and tax.
33 Crony capitalism benefits the rich, the people who own and run
these corporations, at the expense of the common good and of poverty reduction. It means
that smaller businesses struggle to compete and ordinary people end up paying more for
goods and services as they face cartels and monopoly power of corporations and those with
close connections with government.
The world‟s third richest man, Carlos Slim, controls
approximately 70% of all mobile phone services and 65% of fixed lines in Mexico, costing 2%"
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
I remember there was someone in China who sole his kidney to buy an iphone. Apple pays pennies to the Chinese slave worker. I pay more tax than the yearly income of a minimum wage worker. I just don't like to contribute to filthy rich corporations.

anyway, looks like I am talking to a wall here. wasting too much time here. stupid me:) logoff this site. have a nice day everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
1000islands wrote: Why Apple needs to make 300 billions a year? !
Because it funds my retirement lol
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
Low content
Be kind and civil with one another

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)