Cell Phones

Iphone used roaming data during activation - legal way?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2018 4:35 pm
[OP]
Apr 12, 2018
25 posts
16 upvotes

Iphone used roaming data during activation - legal way?

Got a case when had to reset Iphone to factory settings while away from country. Connected it to Wi-Fi for the internet and then inserted the SIM which is required for the activation process.
Turned out bas*rd without asking for any settings still used some data in roaming which ended up in $1500 bill.

No luck with carrier as "service was provided in accordance with terms", then when submitting regular request to Apple got some BS about "we can't ask for settings everywhere, sorry we can't help you".
Will send to Apple written request to point me at place in user agreement where it says this is expected behavior for now.

Do you guys think is worth going any further like court / etc.. especially if they still provide me with some BS for the written request?

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7144 posts
4094 upvotes
Edmonton
Sorry, but not seeing how this would be Apple's responsibility. Roaming charges are part of the agreement between you and your service provider.

C
Nov 8, 2017
586 posts
246 upvotes
1500? I didn't think that happened anymore. I just get charged 6 bucks a day if in the states, or 10 in Europe. I get a text saying so when I get off the plane.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2545 posts
1331 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You would've been stopped at $100 overcharge fees unless you agreed to continue. So it may be hard to argue.

Can try playing the can't afford and need to put food on table card. They may reduce it to a few hundred dollars.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)