950 upvotes
Montreal
very nice @jkipps !
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Nov 8, 2004
7 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks!

If you're interested I can send you a promo for a month of transcription (I think... )
@Jasonbynight
Voip.ms user and dev for VCML+ on iOS
Nov 2, 2006
26 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
you can transfer your number to fongo as well with one-time payment of $25 I believe.
The connection is not that great but it is free.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1184 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
eonibm wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 4:56 pm
Even on the iPhone X I find softphone apps unreliable. I need 5 9's of reliability so I only call forward from voip.ms to my iPhone and never ever have a dropped call.
I have the same experience as eonibm. After infrequent but sufficiently annoying problems with all softphone apps I tried (this was 3 years ago...), I call forward my voip.ms lines to my mobile phone and have never had a problem (apart from not being in good cellphone range, of course). It does increase your per-minute cost, since voip.ms charges for the outbound call to your iphone, but it's small potatoes.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
houska wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:02 am
I have the same experience as eonibm. After infrequent but sufficiently annoying problems with all softphone apps I tried (this was 3 years ago...), I call forward my voip.ms lines to my mobile phone and have never had a problem (apart from not being in good cellphone range, of course). It does increase your per-minute cost, since voip.ms charges for the outbound call to your iphone, but it's small potatoes.
Yes the cost increases but voip.ms is so cheap its a rounding error on my financial statements.

I also replace the incoming voip line #'s with the associated DID #, which is saved in my contacts. That way I know which incoming call is being forwarded from voip.ms, ie business, and which are direct, ie personal, so I know which greeting to answer with.
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Groundwire just works. I was irritated with the purchase price of the app until I compared my experience to using other apps which inconsistently rang through incoming calls. Now I think the groundwire app cost is a bargain.
May 14, 2007
303 posts
31 upvotes
+1 for Groundwire for iOS

It's worth every penny. (14$)

callkit compabitble. I never miss a call. Works in the background. It's smooth. It works!

I used it with voip.ms.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
Ok Badbrad & duttypersian you convinced me to try Groundwire on my iPhone X after trying all these other softphone apps that often wouldn't wake up when I got a call, especially if I had another app that was live. What I have been doing instead is call forwarding my DID's to my iPhone # and that worked extremely well in terms of always putting the call through but the problem I have been having is that there was always a very slightly delay in the voice transmission and so I sometimes would talk over people or them over me. That is very annoying to say the least. So I just tested Groundwire with an incoming call on one of my DiD's with a youtube video running and it came in no problem so I am crossing my fingers that this works with 5 9's of reliability.

If it proves out on this DID for the next few days I am going to switch all my DID's over and the $14 is indeed worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
I haven't been able to figure out if I can get SMS on the Groundwire app using voip.ms. Does anyone know? I configured it for my SIP but texts don't come through.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's not enough to enable SMS on voip.ms. On Groundwire you must also go to Accounts | [click on SIP account] | Advanced Settings | Messaging - Simple ON. Then you must also ensure you have a CallerID Number set up on your voip.ms account for the DID. If you are using sub-accounts in voip.ms like I am you must have that Caller ID set under Sub-Accounts | Manage Sub-Accounts | Edit Sub-Account | CallerID Number even though it says Optional beside that box.
Oct 13, 2015
368 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eonibm wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 7:25 pm
I haven't been able to figure out if I can get SMS on the Groundwire app using voip.ms. Does anyone know? I configured it for my SIP but texts don't come through.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's not enough to enable SMS on voip.ms. On Groundwire you must also go to Accounts | [click on SIP account] | Advanced Settings | Messaging - Simple ON. Then you must also ensure you have a CallerID Number set up on your voip.ms account for the DID. If you are using sub-accounts in voip.ms like I am you must have that Caller ID set under Sub-Accounts | Manage Sub-Accounts | Edit Sub-Account | CallerID Number even though it says Optional beside that box.
I had no idea this was possible! Going to try it later this weekend, thanks eonibm!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
houska wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 8:02 am
Were you getting latency, ie sometimes you would talk over the other person or they over you and the start or end of sentences? I got this no matter how voip.ms tried to help me by changing servers. I use a bluetooth headset but that proved not to be the issue. I have not yet noticed it with Groundwire but have to use it a bit more to be confident it is still not happening.

What I like about Groundwire vs call-forwarding is:

- With call forwarding the voip.ms DID #'s to my iPhone in order to know a call was a business call I had to replace the incoming CallerID with my DID # and have that name & DID # in my contacts list so that it was announced as a business call by my iPhone so I knew to answer it with my business name vs just saying hello if it was a personal call. Now when it comes in from Groundwire I automatically know it is a business call, not to mention I no longer have to log into voip.ms to see my CDR record if I need to know the # that called. I just look at the call history on Groundwire.

- I have the option to set calls to record automatically

- I no longer have to call my DISA's in order to make an outgoing business call that shows my business CNAM. I just call out using the app. Saves a bit of time and is seamless. This also has a big advantage if overseas and using a different SIM card as you don't then have to reconfigure the DISA to recognize your overseas phone number. For me though, since I have a Google Voice # and it is recognized world-wide as it works over the internet I did not have to change the configuration. In any event, now I can ditch the DISAs and just dial directly out from Groundwire to the US (1.0 cent/min) or Canada (0.52 cent/min). Also it saves $ as when you call a DISA you get charged for the incoming call to the DISA and the outgoing call from the DISA. Not a big deal of course as it's then only a maximum of 2 cents/min.

- My business call history is now segregated from my personal call history as Groundwire has a separate call history screen. Before it was mixed in with personal call history on my iPhone

- It's nice to have my quick dial #'s segregated on a different screen, ie in Groundwire vs the iPhone dialer

I'll probably find other advantages too with using Groundwire vs call-forwarding my voip.ms DID's to my iPhone.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1184 posts
613 upvotes
Ottawa
Eonibm, happy groundwire is working for you. It's been 3 years, so I don't fully remember what my softphone/voip.ms issues were, but I think it was that incoming calls wouldn't come through reliably.

I vaguely recall you and I having this chat on this board a while back, but while picking up the phone and sounding like a professional storefront are important in your line of business, they aren't in mine (people expect to be forwarded to my cell, don't read anything into a "Hello!" answer, and don't care what number shows up on caller ID when I call them back), so I haven't tracked those through.

DISA is a bit of a pain, but I have a call flow set up on my DISA that allows me to (unprompted) enter a password to dial out, so when I don't program in a different SIM number it's not a biggie. However, I often don't have reliable internet overseas, so I still need the flexibility of a DISA I access over cellular rather than internet/app. While I try to save money overall as much as I can, when I'm being paid $$$ by the hour for my advice, I don't mind paying $$ to make the call go through if that's what it takes to make it work from a park bench in Timbuktu. But that's maybe specific to my work. Flexibility is the name of the game though, so if I have internet I'll use SkypeOut when needed, which seems to be blocked less often on public or hotel hotspots than whatever ports are used for softphone apps.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
houska, I didn't realize there was a DISA you could set up that no matter where you called from you were prompted to enter a password to call out. How do you do that? I could have just used Google Voice to call customers back for free but the problem was they wouldn't always pick up as they didn't recognize the number and then later they'd call that number instead of my business line to call me back. So the DISA was the only option for me.

Yes your needs are different than mine and I only have to call from countries with really good cell/internet service.

Are you noticing a latency with call forward such that you can often talk over the other party? I could never get it resolved and it was the most annoying aspect of using that method.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14329 posts
4189 upvotes
Here 'n There
When I answer a call on Groundwire from voip.ms on my iPhone X I noticed there is a delay of about a second after I press Accept until the timer starts and the other party can hear me. I can't just immediately say hello like a direct call. Is there any way around this?