• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2018 12:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hanif wrote: a blacklist exists to deter thieves
so when a phone is blacklisted it means the phone was reported as lost or stolen
You gradully see the difficulty in implementing that indeed for all the parties concerned.
Ask a question: is it viable to create a blacklist of a $1000 bill to deter theives. Well I can say there are more smartphones being used than$1000 bills actualy around for daily use.
The only effect of the cell blacklist AFAIK is to kill the aftermarket sale of 2nd hand phone.
And the benefit goes to the carriers
The whole idea of blacklisting phone is as dumb as "Trump claims ID needed to buy groceries"
And the FAR EAST with population larger than the US/Can is obviously smarter than the US/Can. They are smarter with no cell blacklist to deal with.
Loosing a $1000 bill or a smartphone is just one of the many mishaps that we need to deal with .
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hanif wrote: if you buy a phone from Apple it can't be blacklisted :)
bomber17 wrote: That's not true. Any carrier can place that phone on blacklist. They blacklist phones by IMEI. Every time you put a sim card in a phone, the IMEI gets sent to the carrier. This is how they verify if you are actually using the phone and why you should never lend a phone out to someone shady. I got my phone blacklisted this way because I lent my phone to someone on Koodo.
The statement @Hanif is essentially correct unless in very special circumstance
Daniel

Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1156 posts
148 upvotes
a phone can also be blacklisted for non-payment or breach of Contract,; and if it was acquired under Contract with a carrier with a fake identity.
danieltoronto wrote: You gradully see the difficulty in implementing that indeed for all the parties concerned.
Ask a question: is it viable to create a blacklist of a $1000 bill to deter theives. Well I can say there are more smartphones being used than$1000 bills actualy around for daily use.
The only effect of the cell blacklist AFAIK is to kill the aftermarket sale of 2nd hand phone.
And the benefit goes to the carriers
The whole idea of blacklisting phone is as dumb as "Trump claims ID needed to buy groceries"
And the FAR EAST with population larger than the US/Can is obviously smarter than the US/Can. They are smarter with no cell blacklist to deal with.
Loosing a $1000 bill or a smartphone is just one of the many mishaps that we need to deal with .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tetris wrote: a phone can also be blacklisted for non-payment or breach of Contract,; and if it was acquired under Contract with a carrier with a fake identity.
As per @Hanif said (and I agree), buying phone from Apple store means that it is paid in full and there is no contract as the phone has been delivered in good condition. It is of course not a carrier phone
Daniel

Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1156 posts
148 upvotes
that's true , no blacklist if purchased outright either from a carrier, apple or google.
danieltoronto wrote: As per @Hanif said (and I agree), buying phone from Apple store means that it is paid in full and there is no contract as the phone has been delivered in good condition. It is of course not a carrier phone
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Hanif wrote: so I called Bell today and they were very disappointed to hear that I was scammed
he told me sometimes customers sign up for a new phone with a contract and report it as stolen and get a FREE replacement device
so he confirmed I have the phone that was under the original contract

so he called the person who I bought the phone from and he was on the conference call with BEll and myself. He denied selling me the phone but then I confirmed his email and phone number with Bell which he said was not his. I proved he was lying and Bell removed the blacklist and reported him to the fraud department

Now I just need to wait for the blacklist to be removed - could take a few hours or 24 hours
wow great to hear that. Hope that guy gets reported as a fraudster to every telco. Good on Bell for going above and beyond.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Hanif wrote: My phone is now up and Running
It took 48 hours for it to be delisted
I'm going to have a craft beer in your honour tonight....to celebrate this victory.

Honestly.

The Bell rep is a hero. Good to see someone that actually cares about doing the right thing.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
danieltoronto wrote: The statement @Hanif is essentially correct unless in very special circumstance
Yah I may have misread. I was assuming buying a phone off someone who bought it at Apple.

So yes, if you bought the phone directly from Apple, it can't be blacklisted by apple.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
OP, glad you got your phone de-listed.

From everything I've bought used over the years. I would say phones are the worst. I usually end up with an issue with a phone I bought used.

My last phone I bought, the seller said it was unlocked, and i had no way of checking. It was locked. But then found out that samsung will give you the unlock code for free, so got it unlocked by samsung for free. Now all phones are unlocked though.

From now on, I will never buy a used phone. Too many scammers out there to take that risk anymore. I dont care if cost me several hundred more by buying it from a retail store. This way, you have legitimate warranty, and no worries whether the phones work or not. I've had too many headaches from buying used phones. Dont get me wrong. I've bought some perfectly fine used phones. But not worth saving a few hundred, just to find out you can't use your.

Really glad it did work out for you.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Mar 21, 2016
373 posts
213 upvotes
Yvr
In terms of theft protection, it seems only Bell offers that kind of plan. I don’t see other carrier offers lost / theft prevention. Is it safe to say it’s best to avoid Bell phones if we were to get a used phone?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I still remember when I was with Bhell and when I upgraded the dipstick had the balls to tell me to report it lost/stolen.

This system is a joke.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
9644 posts
2634 upvotes
That’s why I only buy from people with reputable feedback like RFD. Newbies selling items on any site will have to earn it by starting out with low priced items before they work their way up to expensive gadgets.

Good job on OP getting it delisted.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1733 posts
1761 upvotes
Markham, ON
Spurs10 wrote: In terms of theft protection, it seems only Bell offers that kind of plan. I don’t see other carrier offers lost / theft prevention. Is it safe to say it’s best to avoid Bell phones if we were to get a used phone?
All carriers have the same theft protection (blacklisting of IMEI).

Right now it looks like only the big carriers in North America use it, but it's definitely possible for all global carriers to honour the blacklist (since it's controlled by GSMA)
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Hanif wrote: I received notice the scammer has been reported to Bell's fraud department as well as Bell's insurance company fraud department
he will most likely get charged or have to pay the full price of the iPhone X
So in other words he was the original owner and then just reported it lost/stolen simply to get a new phone!?
Mar 21, 2016
373 posts
213 upvotes
Yvr
What if the phone is blacklisted and the person able to provide the receipt and original box? Anyone encounter something similar?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Spurs10 wrote: What if the phone is blacklisted and the person able to provide the receipt and original box? Anyone encounter something similar?
Some people were able to get it reversed but it's a huge hassle and not guaranteed. The seller can say you stole the box and receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
Now op did u signup for a bell plan through him? Per recent leak news about the state of telcom call centers, the rep probably got a negative performance impact by helping you.
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Does any one know what the process is to have a phone blacklisted?

I assume one would at least have an active account with the service provider and have that cell phone IMEI number listed with them.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
To get a phone blacklisted you have to be the registered owner of the phone. So yes most likely you'd need an active line with them.

In the US there are ways to check if a phone is financed or not. Might be worth digging around Robellus's websites to see if something similar exists.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4175 posts
1483 upvotes
Calgary
I'm so happy for the OP. Hope that fraudster gets the karma he deserves. Surprised with Bell's customer service to be honest.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)