[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario

iPhone X - Best for mobile stills DXO Score 101 & Best mobile display

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-x- ... er-stills/
With a Photo score of 101, the Apple iPhone X achieves the best results so far for still images, edging out the Huawei Mate 10 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, the previous joint leaders in the Photo ranking, by one point. Compared to its cousin iPhone 8 Plus, the X improves noticeably on Zoom performance, but also does better in terms of Exposure, Color, Texture, Noise and Artifacts. Other key strengths in still image mode include very good exposures and HDR images, accurate color rendering, good detail with low noise, as well as a natural-looking bokeh effect in Portrait mode.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm
It is the most color accurate display that we have ever measured. It is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and is very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV or UHD TV that you have.

The iPhone X has a record high Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones of 634 nits, which improves screen visibility in high Ambient Light. The Samsung Galaxy Note8 can produce up to 1,240 nits, but only for small portions of the screen area (Low Average Picture Levels) – for Full Screen Brightness the Note8 can produce up to 423 nits with Manual Brightness and 560 nits with Automatic Brightness only in High Ambient Light. For small portions of the screen area the iPhone X can produce up to 809 nits (Low Average Picture Levels). On its Home Screen the iPhone X produces an impressively bright 726 nits. See the Screen Brightness section for the measurements and details.
Which also means you can view your edited ILC shots on the X and use it's display as a reference before posting your mobile content.
17 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Ya, the way they word it too, you'd think the X had a better camera than the 8, when they're the same. It's only the 2x lens that's different and what they're really talking about between the two.

Must be a nice camera on the Pixel, I did a non-official comparison between my friend's iPhone 8 and my iPhone 7 Plus a couple weekends ago.
In lowlight, there was a clear difference between the 8 and 7 in both stills and 4K @ 60fps.

I should really play with my X, been busy with work.

DXOMark is getting like Bent Crocthwell.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6749 posts
971 upvotes
I have a Pixel and it does have a great camera but I honestly took the last year top of any phone rating with a gain of salt since next to my wife's older Note 5, I honestly didn't think it was THAT much better so...
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
display mate review is a joke
1000-nits is the requirement for HDR10...missed opportunities for not covering how Apple is claiming HDR10 support with 600-nits

DXO is losing credibility too, as mentioned. Identical camera as the 8+ minus stabilization on the tele yet they rave more about exposure, colour & textures on the X over the 8

if they're rating mobile cameras at 98% this year...does that mean they'll have to be giving 100-105% in a few years?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

May 5, 2010
814 posts
214 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:25 am
display mate review is a joke
1000-nits is the requirement for HDR10...missed opportunities for not covering how Apple is claiming HDR10 support with 600-nits

DXO is losing credibility too, as mentioned. Identical camera as the 8+ minus stabilization on the tele yet they rave more about exposure, colour & textures on the X over the 8

if they're rating mobile cameras at 98% this year...does that mean they'll have to be giving 100-105% in a few years?
It's not out of 100. They are already giving score above 100 for some cameras. Which makes the difference of scores even harder to compare. Like between 98 and 90, what's the real life difference?
Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
Gin Martini wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:51 am
Like between 98 and 90, what's the real life difference?
Money paid to DxO
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
do we even know what the sensor size is?
apple just regurgitates 'bigger sensor'
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Looks like a step up from the 7 as confirmed by others, I think we can probably infer the X is the same as the 8 with the main lens.

https://www.macworld.com/article/322812 ... -test.html

https://www.popsci.com/iphone-8-plus-camera-review

Just curious, so the Pixel is better? I would think Apple has the lead in computational photography because they R&D using less hardware working in concert (just a few iPhone models).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2422 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:59 pm
Looks like a step up from the 7 as confirmed by others, I think we can probably infer the X is the same as the 8 with the main lens.

https://www.macworld.com/article/322812 ... -test.html

https://www.popsci.com/iphone-8-plus-camera-review

Just curious, so the Pixel is better? I would think Apple has the lead in computational photography because they R&D using less hardware working in concert (just a few iPhone models).
Well the Pixel 2 is apparently blending/stacking images when you hit the shutter, much like how a landscape photographer shoots at different exposures to stack and blend images in post.

As soon as you launch the camera app, its already begun taking images, and figures out when and where to end based on you pressing the actual shutter.

In real-time it blends those images to adjust for noise and produces that crisp image.

So, Google algorithms working off of data from one lens.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3486 posts
287 upvotes
because Google's got some crazy algo going. My og XL surprises me every now and then.

I believe someone tried sideloading the Pixel camera app into another device but the results weren't nearly as impressive...who knows!
Russell wrote:

Aug 1, 2010
735 posts
297 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:59 pm

It's crazy how better the Pixel is ahead of everyone. I never tried the Pixel 2 yet but it's supposed to better. VS the iPhones, low light is where the differences are the most obvious.

A lot of reviewers prefer the iPhone 8/X because images are more saturated and less bland. I find them overexposed and lacking in DR. It's a photographer vs gadget reviewer's opinion I guess.
Portrait and Wedding Photographer - Instagram
Oct 14, 2010
48 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
DXO weights the different tests differently. I can't remember how exactly I came across this video (it may have been in these forums) but I found it very informative:

Stating that it's the "best" camera for stills is still kind of subjective on DXOs part. Let's look at 3 different phone scores:
dxo_phone_comparison.jpg
What categories do you value the most? From the scores, the Pixel 2 wins in Exposure & Contrast, Color, Autofocus, Texture, and Flash. Are those important categories to you? I know I hated using the camera on my Oneplus One because the Autofocus was bad and slow. Can the average person even tell the difference between an "Exposure & Contrast" rating of 90 and 95?

I guess in the end:
1) If the camera on your new phone isn't as good or better than the previous one, the company is doing something wrong
2) You have to look at what's important to you when deciding what the "best" is. (This comes up all of the time with the "what camera should I buy" threads)

I'm personally very happy with my Pixel XL (original). My new favourite thing is taking Panospheres. Use Daydream VR and it's like you're standing right there again.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10597 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
When dxo is measuring raw sensor data for dr, noise etc, it makes sense to assign a number because the criteria of what makes a better sensor is straightforward.

When the programmers of the phones camera are using computational technics for analyzing the content and computing a pleasing photo, how can you assign a number to that? A particular phone probably does something a little bit differently depending on what algorithm is applied for that particular picture's content. If the camera figures out that the person is smiling and there is a backlight, it might apply HDR to the person's face by stacked prior images with bracketing while lowering the contrast for the computed blurred background (maybe not the best example, but I can imagine that the programmers would probably try to optimize that particular use case)

It becames a crapshoot to assign ONE number for all pictures of all types because chances are, the phone is doing something different depending on the situation. It's like the point and shoots that try to pick a scene mode for you, but the phone can do it infinitely better. Google and Apple seem to be really taking it to heart and really leveraging the power of their processors to do real time analysis and apply their secret sauces algotithms. So definitely I think the DxO "score" is really bogus when applied to a smartphone output.

I get a lot more info about how well a camera does by looking at comparisons of how a phone handles difficult picture scenarios. It's obvious that every new camera phone from each particular company seems to be improving a lot, sometimes by a lot, and the actual improvement is not obvious by looking at one score.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!