Cell Phones

iPhone XS 64GB is a different phone than the 256GB???

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 1:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15325 posts
1245 upvotes
Scarborough

iPhone XS 64GB is a different phone than the 256GB???

My boss just told me an Apple rep told him... the iPhone XS 64GB has cheaper components inside to meet the entry level price. Is this true?
I've been googling and youtubing and i can't find any indication that the three phones aren't identical apart from the storage capacity.
Anyone know?
CHINESE IPTV APP AND BOX FREE TRIAL:IPTV Group Buy
8 replies
Oct 5, 2010
18 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
Entry level price? It’s a $1,400 phone. It’s the same phone with different storage capacities.
Sep 9, 2014
487 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
No it isn't true. The storage speed will be slower but that's just the nature of this type of memory (bigger is faster).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16322 posts
3399 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 7:07 pm
My boss just told me an Apple rep told him... the iPhone XS 64GB has cheaper components inside to meet the entry level price. Is this true?
I've been googling and youtubing and i can't find any indication that the three phones aren't identical apart from the storage capacity.
Anyone know?
I’m curious. What kind of Apple rep? Are they lying to him or just very confused? Or is your boss confused?
BryanBreguet wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 11:19 pm
No it isn't true. The storage speed will be slower but that's just the nature of this type of memory (bigger is faster).
Here are some tests of the X 64 vs 256 GB.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ip ... b.2068443/

Read speeds are the same but writes for the 256 are faster. It should be noted however that for transfers from computers there should be no difference since the Lightning cable is the bottleneck. In fact, the cable that ships with the iPhone is only USB 2.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11925 posts
1429 upvotes
Kanata
It's just another selling feature for Apple, lol.
Oct 17, 2010
345 posts
161 upvotes
Vancouver
goofball wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 11:01 am
It's just another selling feature for Apple, lol.
The rep would be fired if Apple finds out he said that. Poor up selling skill.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8319 posts
910 upvotes
Tobsterboi wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 11:40 am
The rep would be fired if Apple finds out he said that. Poor up selling skill.
He is technically right but he is not suppose to upsell like that. Should had just said 64GB might not be enough so buy 256GB just to be safe. Then Ka Ching.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15325 posts
1245 upvotes
Scarborough
was it on the 6s or 6c (or the XR?) that they cheaped out on the hardware to make it cheaper?

my boss is adamant there was a model that was cheaper and not the same phone as the rest of the lineup with a smaller memory.

i guess it doesn't matter, my choice is really limited to the XS, maybe the XS MAX.
CHINESE IPTV APP AND BOX FREE TRIAL:IPTV Group Buy
Jan 29, 2013
742 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 12:50 pm
was it on the 6s or 6c (or the XR?) that they cheaped out on the hardware to make it cheaper?

my boss is adamant there was a model that was cheaper and not the same phone as the rest of the lineup with a smaller memory.

i guess it doesn't matter, my choice is really limited to the XS, maybe the XS MAX.
Your bosss focus on memory size as an indicator of what has good or cheaper hardware in it is silly. That's driven by the overall model design. The XS has the same hardware across all memory configurations.

There was a 5c, but that was largely due to a plastic body, etc. Not sure if all the internals were exactly the same as the flagship 5, but most (CPU, RAM) were the same. With the XR, the biggest differences that make it "cheaper" are an LCD screen (as opposed to OLED on XS/XS Max), and simpler/less capable optics/cameras. So with the current lineup of XR, XS, XS Max, the whole point of the XR is for it to be cheaper.

Amongst a single model of phone, other than memory size configurations there are no known meaningful hardware differences.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)