None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario

iPhone4: How to get it to read your iBooks out loud

* Spoken books. The free iBooks app, which is Apple’s answer to the Amazon Kindle, can actually read your books and PDF documents out loud to you.

To make this work, turn on VoiceOver, the text-to-speech feature that makes the iPhone usable by blind people. That is, open Settings -> General -> Accessibility and turn on VoiceOver. (There you can read about some of the other changes in your lifestyle that are required when VoiceOver is turned on; for example, you double-tap things instead of single-tapping them, because single-tapping makes the phone speak the name of whatever you’re tapping.)

Then open a book. Tap the first line (to get the highlighting off the buttons at top).

Now swipe down the page with two fingers to make the iPhone start reading the book to you, out loud, with a synthesized voice. It even turns the pages automatically and keeps going until you tap with two fingers to stop it.

Yes, this is exactly the feature that made its debut in the Amazon Kindle and was then removed when publishers screamed bloody murder. But somehow, so far, Apple has gotten away with it, maybe because nobody’s even realized this feature is in there.

Until now…
It's the annoying iPhone vs EVO voice :lol: , meh, I rather read myself.
Here's the original source with some other tricks which I thought weren't really tricks but pretty much known to many.
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2967 posts
2899 upvotes
Montreal
To make this work, turn on VoiceOver, the text-to-speech feature that makes the iPhone usable by blind people. That is, open Settings -> General -> Accessibility and turn on VoiceOver. (There you can read about some of the other changes in your lifestyle that are required when VoiceOver is turned on; for example, you double-tap things instead of single-tapping them, because single-tapping makes the phone speak the name of whatever you’re tapping.)
I think always turn on the VoiceOver is only for bind people...

For others, if we really want to use the VoiceOver for reading book then we should only turn on the VoiceOver when we actually want it to read the book...

In order to do this, open Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> VoiceOver ... keep the VoiceOver as OFF mode... only change the "Triple-click Home" to "VoiceOver"

This way you can turn on or off VoiceOver anytime by pressing Home 3 times...

So while you're opening/reading book just "Triple-click Home" to turn on VoiceOver then...
Now swipe down the page with two fingers to make the iPhone start reading the book to you, out loud, with a synthesized voice. It even turns the pages automatically and keeps going until you tap with two fingers to stop it.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1511 posts
15 upvotes
North York
Haha this is great but you have to turn it off every time you want change the page or scroll down, is there a page for this?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1511 posts
15 upvotes
North York
Aww figured it out with the two finger swipe per te article
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1528 posts
83 upvotes
confused wrote:
Aug 18th, 2010 1:00 am
Aww figured it out with the two finger swipe per te article[/QUOTEi

I can only get it to read 1line at a time. How do you get it to read a whole page?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2967 posts
2899 upvotes
Montreal
queenofhearts wrote:
Aug 18th, 2010 12:22 pm
I can only get it to read 1line at a time. How do you get it to read a whole page?
× < >