• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2017 5:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes

iPod Touch in 2017?

Just thought I'd see what others thought about this.
Is an iPod touch still worth getting in mid 2017?

The main reason I'd like one is download the odd podcast and listen to some music.
While I have a blackberry priv (love the keyboard), the mp3 player on this thing are terrible. Most of the time the google program loses the pause point and simply makes me have to restart the track. WTF!?

I also have player fm, which also sucks. unfortunately. It's ok for downloading certain podcasts though.

Anyways, thoughts?
14 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
IceBlueShoes wrote: Just thought I'd see what others thought about this.

The main reason I'd like one is download the odd podcast and listen to some music.
While I have a blackberry priv (love the keyboard), the mp3 player on this thing are terrible. Most of the time the google program loses the pause point and simply makes me have to restart the track. WTF!?

I also have player fm, which also sucks. unfortunately. It's ok for downloading certain podcasts though.

Anyways, thoughts?
In my opinion I'm not sure a new one is even worth it.

I recently purchased a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ since I have people over every weekend for a BBQ, I am also using an iPhone 7 128GB with an Apple Music subscription so I'll pick a few songs, my gf will queue up a few songs and same for everyone else and we just let it keep going and going so that $10/month is pretty useful, sure I could YouTube everything but ads annoy me and in the odd event my wifi goes down and I don't realize (it does happen from time to time) then that's a lot of data used.

I would say if you have 0 intention at all of getting an iPhone, buy a used iPod touch if all your using it for is music. You can download the songs directly to the device so you can listen to them offline which is a huge plus as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: Just thought I'd see what others thought about this.

Anyways, thoughts?
I think ipod touch is obsolete/

It's an android... get a better app? I'm using doubletwist which works well for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12016 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The biggest problem with an iDevice is iTunes.

I suggest you use the Priv and install TuneIn Pro for PodCasts. For playing MP3, there are tonnes of options in the Play Store. No need to use the native app.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
Well basically it's similar to the iPhone 6 (A8 - clocked lower @ 1.1Ghz) inside without the cellular portion and of course the smaller form factor. GPU/RAM/AC WiFi (non-MIMO) are the same as the iPhone 6.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
killoverme wrote: I think ipod touch is obsolete/

It's an android... get a better app? I'm using doubletwist which works well for me.
Gee wrote: The biggest problem with an iDevice is iTunes.

I suggest you use the Priv and install TuneIn Pro for PodCasts. For playing MP3, there are tonnes of options in the Play Store. No need to use the native app.
Wasn't aware of those. I'll give them a shot. :)

I did consider an iphone SE but missed out on the last round from the koodo sale.
Still maybe worth keeping an eye out for.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Gee wrote: The biggest problem with an iDevice is iTunes.

I'm not seeing.
Is it just the pro version for $12?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
The iPod Touch is still a cheap way to get a device running iOS, but these days it looks pretty expensive compared to an Android phone that's superior for almost any purpose. I have an old iPod Touch, and I still use it occasionally to run iOS apps, although it won't run many newer apps now since Apple is pretty diligent at obsoleting old models within a few years. But I can't recommend the iPod Touch for anything else. The sound quality is frankly not good - Apple lost their way on that one at some point. iTunes is a pain in the butt to use for transferring music.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
killoverme wrote: I think ipod touch is obsolete/

Got doubletwist. So much better than anything else for podcasts. Much appreciated.
It actually works!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5666 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
podcast addict for podcast
smart audiobook for audio books or downloaded podcasts (i use it to listen to some bbc radio shows, as they are not available on a podcast site).
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
@IceBlueShoes, Apple updated the iPod Touch with double the storage

Apple Doubles iPod touch Storage for Same Price; iPod nano, Shuffle Discontinued
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple ... h-storage/
For starters, the iPod touch line up now only has two capacities available, as 32GB and 128GB remain, while 16GB and 64GB have been axed. While prices remain the same, storage has doubled, so ‘theoretically’ you’re saving $50 and $130 respectively.

Both capacities are in stock and available for in-store pick up as well.

New pricing in Canada:

32GB – $249
128GB – $369

Old pricing in Canada:

16GB – $249
32GB – $299
64GB – $369
128GB – $499
Feb 25, 2009
535 posts
109 upvotes
Montreal
Dear all,

I'm thinking to buy iPod Touch for my kid, but looking around I see this 6th generation is almost 2 years old (2015 ?). Do you think there will be a new version for this year?
I don't need it right a way.

Also, how about getting the USA BestBuy iPhone SE and use it as an iPod Touch? Can we still use other app with it? I'm thinking if I will buy it and unlock, but don't know if it's possible to unlock. I have related in US and will see in next some week

Thank you for your answer

Thomas
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
ThomasTran wrote: Dear all,

I'm thinking to buy iPod Touch for my kid, but looking around I see this 6th generation is almost 2 years old (2015 ?). Do you think there will be a new version for this year?
I don't need it right a way.

Also, how about getting the USA BestBuy iPhone SE and use it as an iPod Touch? Can we still use other app with it? I'm thinking if I will buy it and unlock, but don't know if it's possible to unlock. I have related in US and will see in next some week

Thank you for your answer

Thomas
If I was going to the USA, I'd get the ipod SE personally.
Then again, it depends on how old your kid is since it can still dial out 911....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)