• Jul 19th, 2017 10:04 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4013 posts
216 upvotes

iPod Touch in 2017?

Just thought I'd see what others thought about this.
Is an iPod touch still worth getting in mid 2017?

The main reason I'd like one is download the odd podcast and listen to some music.
While I have a blackberry priv (love the keyboard), the mp3 player on this thing are terrible. Most of the time the google program loses the pause point and simply makes me have to restart the track. WTF!?

I also have player fm, which also sucks. unfortunately. It's ok for downloading certain podcasts though.

Anyways, thoughts?
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7930 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:51 am

The main reason I'd like one is download the odd podcast and listen to some music.
While I have a blackberry priv (love the keyboard), the mp3 player on this thing are terrible. Most of the time the google program loses the pause point and simply makes me have to restart the track. WTF!?

I also have player fm, which also sucks. unfortunately. It's ok for downloading certain podcasts though.

Anyways, thoughts?
In my opinion I'm not sure a new one is even worth it.

I recently purchased a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ since I have people over every weekend for a BBQ, I am also using an iPhone 7 128GB with an Apple Music subscription so I'll pick a few songs, my gf will queue up a few songs and same for everyone else and we just let it keep going and going so that $10/month is pretty useful, sure I could YouTube everything but ads annoy me and in the odd event my wifi goes down and I don't realize (it does happen from time to time) then that's a lot of data used.

I would say if you have 0 intention at all of getting an iPhone, buy a used iPod touch if all your using it for is music. You can download the songs directly to the device so you can listen to them offline which is a huge plus as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
4792 posts
212 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 6:51 am

Anyways, thoughts?
I think ipod touch is obsolete/

It's an android... get a better app? I'm using doubletwist which works well for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23559 posts
2180 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The biggest problem with an iDevice is iTunes.

I suggest you use the Priv and install TuneIn Pro for PodCasts. For playing MP3, there are tonnes of options in the Play Store. No need to use the native app.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5181 posts
512 upvotes
Well basically it's similar to the iPhone 6 (A8 - clocked lower @ 1.1Ghz) inside without the cellular portion and of course the smaller form factor. GPU/RAM/AC WiFi (non-MIMO) are the same as the iPhone 6.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4013 posts
216 upvotes
killoverme wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:19 am
I think ipod touch is obsolete/

It's an android... get a better app? I'm using doubletwist which works well for me.
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:10 am

I suggest you use the Priv and install TuneIn Pro for PodCasts. For playing MP3, there are tonnes of options in the Play Store. No need to use the native app.
Wasn't aware of those. I'll give them a shot. :)

I did consider an iphone SE but missed out on the last round from the koodo sale.
Still maybe worth keeping an eye out for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4013 posts
216 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:10 am

I'm not seeing.
Is it just the pro version for $12?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1688 posts
824 upvotes
Richmond
The iPod Touch is still a cheap way to get a device running iOS, but these days it looks pretty expensive compared to an Android phone that's superior for almost any purpose. I have an old iPod Touch, and I still use it occasionally to run iOS apps, although it won't run many newer apps now since Apple is pretty diligent at obsoleting old models within a few years. But I can't recommend the iPod Touch for anything else. The sound quality is frankly not good - Apple lost their way on that one at some point. iTunes is a pain in the butt to use for transferring music.