• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2010 11:46 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2004
408 posts
34 upvotes

iPod touch for 8 year old?

My sister in-law asked me if a iPod touch would be ok for a 8 year old? I really didn't know what to say. She asked me because I'm the apple go to guy. Do any of you have kids with the touch?
85 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
22 upvotes
I have 2 with touches and 1 with an iphone, I think a responsible 8 year old would be just fine with one. I bought the OtterBox cases for them, provides probably the best protection for a case. They all got them for Xmas last year and all are still in one piece :) Buy a 32 Gb one if possible, these kids love to fill them up with music and apps.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
19 upvotes
The 6
Yes it's okay it's no longer a hot commodity item to be stolen. Unless her kid goes to a mediocre/below average school.

But just in case get the previous generation one if possible, they won't know the difference and you will save some money.

PS Don't give them your credit cards, they will start buying apps like crazy!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham

This post has been removed as it was posted by former representative that has since left the company and it does represent the view and opinion of our company in any way or form.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7370 posts
680 upvotes
Jesus, buy them a god damn bike/roller blades/hockey stick/basketball net. WTF is this.

Just sayin
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham

This post has been removed as it was posted by former representative that has since left the company and it does represent the view and opinion of our company in any way or form.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham

Sep 5, 2002
228 posts
1 upvote
Cranbrook
As a teacher I will not buy one these devices for my three boys. I see kids almost everyday at the middle school level lose them due to using them during instructional time and kids often break into tears and panic mode at their loss. I do not want my kids having that much of an emotional connection to an electronic device at a young age. I allow my kids to enjoy music with their own individual cd players with headphones etc. but the iPod thing, in my fairly experienced opinion, is better left to older kids much like the responsibilities of driving or working a part time job.

I have seen kids literally panic and twitch when they have lost their Touch, everytime I think of LOTR and Golem.

My .02,

MattGrass
Heatware-->MattGrass
Email-->thornaaron@shaw.ca
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham

Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
19 upvotes
The 6
RFD parents do not have any "cool" kids I guess .. lol

Ipod touch? Is it bad idea for an 8 year old? Yes, if the 8 year old had to line up at 2am in the morning on launch day. The world is changing and the generation Z is becoming more attached to technology than ever before. Socializing isn't about going out to dinner anymore, and if so. You know there will be a facebook event page up to see whose invited and who's going to be attending or not. I'm not condoning that it is a good idea but I am just stating the fact that there is a new generation entering our world that differs greatly from previous generations (X & Y).

Parents always have different opinions on raising their children. As long as you finish high school/post-secondary, get a girlfriend/boyfriend, have a stable job from 16 and onwards, pay bills (cellphone, insurance) and most importantly move out. I will be satisfied as a parent.

I am not a parent, but until then, I will work hard and ensure my kid comes into the world in a financially stable family. I will teach him/her values and build good character while pushing their limits in their talents (academics doesn't count, the educational system is flawed). Which in my opinion is more important than stressing about why isn't my kid more like me when I was that age.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2003
4935 posts
95 upvotes
My daughter is 4 years old and she's already been playing with my iPhone for over a year now. I have installed a lot of toddler applications on it which she plays with. It has helped her learn how to write the alphabet, count, etc. I can see why everyone would be so against it but times are changing. Laptops are standard for High School and University nowadays. Courses and tests are being posted online. People need to move on.
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
214 upvotes
My three and five year old play on my iPhone regularly, and I've considered getting the five year old an iTouch. It's better value than a DSi, as most games are cheap/free, and many are educational.

Another family that we are friends with has kids the same age, and the family has two iPhones and two iTouches, one for each kid. It was awesome when we rented a cottage, all four kids (including three year olds!) were playing games on Bluetooth against each other, like Battleship, and having a blast.

I also play road hockey almost every day after school with my boys, and they skateboard, bike, ride scooters, rock climb, go to gymnastics, etc. We family swim together once a week. They are VERY physically active, as are both their parents. It's all about balance.

Me and all my childhood friends spent inordinate amounts of time playing video games growing up, crazy marathon sessions with no parental supervision. Most of us are quite successful adults. One friend is still a daily player of games, and he is a millionaire.
Mar 18, 2005
502 posts
Guelph
I think the ipod touch is a great tool for school (homework) and for entertainment. There are a lot of applications that students can make great use of. Calendar-organizational skills; dictionary/thesaurus-help with spelling; apps for practicing math, English skills; access to educational related videos, etc. Here are some more suggestions: http://www.utechtips.com/2009/11/03/50- ... pod-touch/

I would caution about actually bringing the ipod to school without considering that it may get stolen/broken. It is best to check with the teacher to ensure it can be used responsibly in the class and be locked up at recess.
Rob
Guelph, ON
Jun 12, 2008
611 posts
60 upvotes
Ripley
Love when people who don't have kids answer parenting questions - never say never! Trust me, it is different when you are living the life.

I think it would be fine for an 8yr old. My ds bought one with his birthday money for his 10th birthday. He has had it almost for a year and it has the same rules as other screens. He is not allowed to take it to school or church. It isn't allowed at the dinner table. We haven't had a lot of issues with the rules because these were the same ones he had with his Nintendo DS. Given the choice I would have skipped the DS because I hate those tiny little games. I love how the iPod touch doesn't have those. He is fine with an 8GB which is what I have. The other 3 kids (12,8,3) play with mine when they want to. Of course they play more when they first get them until the novelty wears off a little just like adults. Ds plays on his for less than 1/2 hr a day during the week because we are busy with other stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7918 posts
322 upvotes
my 17 month old now uses my Ipad and loves it with all the baby/toddler games. It's quite interesting to see that she knows how to get out of games, back to home screen and launch videos, go back and pick others etc..

She didnt' like the Touch to much, and actually broke it within 5min of using it (cracked screen by dropping it on the floor).
× < >