Computers & Electronics

iPod Touch.. worth buying extra Apple warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2010 4:35 pm
Aug 4, 2010
1 posts
Canada

iPod Touch.. worth buying extra Apple warranty?

I'm considering buying the 8GB iPod Touch. I heard that it comes with a one year warranty but you only have 90 days of telephone support. After that you are charged fee(s). An extra year warranty is $69.00.

I know you can purchase iPod Touch at Staples. They guy over the phone said an extra year or two? warranty is around $44.00. It would replace the touch if it was broken but not technical support.

Is it worth buying the Apple warranty? I can figure some things out but would hate to pay fees if I needed tech support after the 90 days if I didn't purchase the warranty. I'm assuming this warranty would also replace the touch if it broke or unfixable?

I prefer to buy the device in store. At the Apple store it costs $219.00. Staples etc it costs $198.00.

Thoughts? Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
you can probably get better support on a web forum such as this compared to the telephone support. I wouldn't pay for that.
1yr is long enough, I think, for a device like that.
Jul 23, 2010
19 posts
North Bay Ontario
http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC086?mco=OTY2ODcxOQ

Very good price if you ask me. Comes with a Standard 1 Year Apple Warranty. Apple Certified Refurbished Products

- Quality products/great prices
- Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Supplies are limited

The Apple Care Protection is worth buying if you plan to use your iPod all the time because it comes with a hassle free replacement from my understanding.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
originaltechguy wrote:
The Apple Care Protection is worth buying if you plan to use your iPod all the time because it comes with a hassle free replacement from my understanding.
Exactly. After six months apple makes you mail in an iPod for repair. This can take weeks. With AppleCare it's an over the counter replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know... the Apple warranty is good in that if the hardware malfunctions they are very quick to replace it, however they tend to be quite strict with regards to damage by customer. Of course with something like an iPod Touch, if it stops working most likely it will be because it was dropped or sat on or put in the washing machine... things that aren't covered by the warranty (and will probably void it). In my opinion there are so many sources for iPod help that the tech support doesn't make the warranty worthwhile.