• Jul 21st, 2005 2:40 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
3006 posts
208 upvotes
TinyTank wrote:are u travelling alone?
in japan yes, and might be alone for part of australia, btu will be with a few buddies in different places.

Cant wait.

How much cheaper would an ipod be in japan? if its cheaper ill get it there, but i dont want somethnig with japanese writing on it or anything.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
fl4wless wrote: Anyway... Wondering if its safe taking with you while travelling or if its a good idea at all? I will be backpacking, staying in hostels, etc, so any help would be appreicated.
i say dont bother. i went to aus and nz and took my camera and ipod photo and it was a huge hassle.
1. its one more item to worry about
2. its one more item to loose/get stolen
3. its one more item you have to carry a charger+adapter for
4. its one more item you have to pass through customs
5. it adds more bulk (when you're out having fun you dont want to carry bulk).

if you're staying in hostels you'll be having more fun partying with them. i used my ipod (as an mp3 player) very little while out traveling. on the plane i'ld just fall asleep and when you're out you don't want to be a loner by isolating yourself in headphones.

my advice:
take the camera
buy an extra 1gb memory card
when the card gets full goto a developing shop and just transfer them to cd (lots of places in oz and japan for this)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
3006 posts
208 upvotes
MrDisco wrote:i say dont bother. i went to aus and nz and took my camera and ipod photo and it was a huge hassle.
1. its one more item to worry about
2. its one more item to loose/get stolen
3. its one more item you have to carry a charger+adapter for
4. its one more item you have to pass through customs
5. it adds more bulk (when you're out having fun you dont want to carry bulk).

if you're staying in hostels you'll be having more fun partying with them. i used my ipod (as an mp3 player) very little while out traveling. on the plane i'ld just fall asleep and when you're out you don't want to be a loner by isolating yourself in headphones.

my advice:
take the camera
buy an extra 1gb memory card
when the card gets full goto a developing shop and just transfer them to cd (lots of places in oz and japan for this)

hmm this was the kind of advice i was looking for....
i think u might be right, im gonna have to think some more.
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
you're going to have your hands full with your camera and your cash. you want to travel LITE. i stayed in hostels throughout NZ and oz and while they do have some locked cabinets you really dont want to show off all your goodies (generally most people you meet are super cool but there are always bad apples).

all the internet cafes i went to had stations setup just for downloading pics and burning to CDs (may cost you a few bucks..big deal). you can even mail the CDs back home if you really want to reduce the amount you carry.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3409 posts
223 upvotes
maybe a small flash player would be better for tunes.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1296 posts
6 upvotes
I was thinking of getting the Belkin media reader which des work with 3rd Gen ipods:

linky

But I may not want to lug those things around after reading above posts! internet cafes are actually pretty cheap abroad (compared to Kinkos here!) an I might just go in and burn CDs instead. Mainly for the sake of no one wanting to steal my CDs, whereas an ipod might be inticing to those who spot it.

heatware 32-0-0
Dec 25, 2003
335 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
I used a Belkin Media Reader for a one month trip through Europe (over 4000 photos taken). It works well, other than the odd glitch which requires you to restart the process.

I highly recommend it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3409 posts
223 upvotes
i've never used the belkin media reader but reviews say that it drains the battery like crazy and is very slow.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)