[Comp] IPS monitor deals thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2012 1:01 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 29, 2012
2 posts
1 upvote
If you guys care about input lag, etc (factors considered for gaming), the dell U series, asus VS and VG series are good, and quite affordable. Of course, there are many other great IPS's out there.
the Dell u2312 and u2412, in particular, seem to be the best right now (its' low price factoring in, seen go for in and around 200), and have been getting nothing but good reviews. Although, i am probably going to grab the
asus 239h, has a good response time for an ips as well as other things. Not really a deal though, ive yet to find any other IPS monitor that appeals to me, and i probably wont find one for BD.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=5469
To note, i would rather have gone for the dell in a heartbeat, but it lacks hdmi which i need.

There's also the hp zr monitors being mentioned, but i know little about them.
As for some of the LG ips monitors out there, while still being great, ive been hearing some bad graininess, as well as ghosting, bleeding, etc from those (noticable in fast-paced games), but they do seem good from a price standpoint. If you dont care about those factors, than go for it.
Apr 18, 2006
211 posts
14 upvotes
Hey guys I'm in the market for a monitor too, but I'd like to stick with FS or BB because I have $50 of gift cards. At the same time,I can save those gift cards if a better deal is out there.

First, is IPS the way to go? I see that PS3 3D monitor for cheap, but poor reviews.

I don't do a lot of PC gaming now, but I might. Is this LG option the best of the FS and BB deals?
Jun 13, 2010
948 posts
48 upvotes
Reversalx wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 8:43 am
If you guys care about input lag, etc (factors considered for gaming), the dell U series, asus VS and VG series are good, and quite affordable. Of course, there are many other great IPS's out there.
the Dell u2312 and u2412, in particular, seem to be the best right now (its' low price factoring in, seen go for in and around 200), and have been getting nothing but good reviews. Although, i am probably going to grab the
asus 239h, has a good response time for an ips as well as other things. Not really a deal though, ive yet to find any other IPS monitor that appeals to me, and i probably wont find one for BD.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=5469
To note, i would rather have gone for the dell in a heartbeat, but it lacks hdmi which i need.
The Asus monitor is cheaper at Best Buy. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asu ... e4b7dden02
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2012
4675 posts
1842 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hope ME will put something on sale.
Dec 23, 2005
126 posts
22 upvotes
So is the IPS at NCIX better than the Asus monitor at Newegg? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6824236175

The reviews are great for the monitor at NewEgg, but I can't find many proper reviews for the IPS at NCIX. I want to use one of the monitors for gaming on my xbox and then the other one connected to my PC...with, the option of switching the xbox monitor over to my PC for a giant stretched desktop!
Apr 18, 2006
211 posts
14 upvotes
alien8er wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:18 pm
So is the IPS at NCIX better than the Asus monitor at Newegg? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6824236175

The reviews are great for the monitor at NewEgg, but I can't find many proper reviews for the IPS at NCIX. I want to use one of the monitors for gaming on my xbox and then the other one connected to my PC...with, the option of switching the xbox monitor over to my PC for a giant stretched desktop!
From what I can tell, the Asus at Newegg (VS238H-P) is not an IPS. You need the go up to the VS239H-P (the one at FS) to get IPS.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
asif9t9 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:33 pm
From what I can tell, the Asus at Newegg (VS238H-P) is not an IPS. You need the go up to the VS239H-P (the one at FS) to get IPS.
Many have recommended this monitor. Is there a reason why?

Also, could someone please briefly explain to me what the difference between and IPS monitor and a regular LED display? Benefits? Cons?

I don't game on my PC, I only play Minecraft.
Apr 18, 2006
211 posts
14 upvotes
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:37 pm

Also, could someone please briefly explain to me what the difference between and IPS monitor and a regular LED display? Benefits? Cons?

Try to find a review that's by a testing website, not just user reviews. I'm sure most user reviews will be positive because newer monitors tend to look way better to the average person than their old monitor.

As for IPS vs the regular TN panel, I'm not able to give a good explanation, but suffice to say IPS is the latest and greatest. But if you aren't doing much with your PC, then get any monitor you can afford. I think I'll go for an IPS just because prices are decent and I know I'll be stuck with whatever monitor I get for a while.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
1768 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa
asif9t9 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 8:30 pm
Try to find a review that's by a testing website, not just user reviews. I'm sure most user reviews will be positive because newer monitors tend to look way better to the average person than their old monitor.

As for IPS vs the regular TN panel, I'm not able to give a good explanation, but suffice to say IPS is the latest and greatest. But if you aren't doing much with your PC, then get any monitor you can afford. I think I'll go for an IPS just because prices are decent and I know I'll be stuck with whatever monitor I get for a while.
Don't forget MVA panels now. Better than TN, not much of a premium like IPS either
Dec 2, 2007
301 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
LegobrandonCP wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 7:37 pm

An IPS monitor is superior because the colours stay more consistent when viewing the monitor at different angles. In a normal monitor, the colour usually fades when you look at the monitor at an angle. IPS monitors may be better for photo editing but of course the colour needs to be calibrated first.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2012
4675 posts
1842 upvotes
Winnipeg
I tried to buy the dell 27in online as the price is now 290. But there's a 25$ shipping. I always get free shipping with them.
Not sure why is that.
Dec 23, 2005
126 posts
22 upvotes
lukelau wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 2:59 am
Here's one from ncix BD sales

LG IPS234V-PN 23in IPS Monitor
• LED backlit
• 1920x1080 resolution
• HDMI input
$139.99
This is listed on NCIX with a 14ms response time. Is this the grey to grey time or actual response time? If I look at other monitors on their website it's all over the place between 2 and 5 seconds and some will say grey to grey (probably depends on the manufacturer) but this monitor is the only one that says just 14ms. Confused!
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The Dell one is nice: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=320-2676

No HDMI though.

Are there any good IPS monitors with HDMI? In a Dell/Asus/Samsung range? Although I pay $40 extra and get one with HDMI plus 27": http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=225-3894

The Asus 23" at TD is nice. Its on sale at Amazon.ca for $189.99 + Free super saver shipping but OOS :( . Was gonna use my Amazon credits for it. Does TD or any other place price match Amazon.ca?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
211 posts
14 upvotes
I am so confused reading up on these monitors. I'm not a PC gamer, but I figure I'd like a decent monitor for it. Seems like IPS isn't the way to go. Not sure if the ghosting on IPS is that bad. That said, most of the time I'll be surfing the net, etc, so I'd like a monitor that just has a great picture, so IPS seems the way to go. And does HDMI matter? I feel like I want a monitor that's as future-proof as possible. In terms of size, 21" is probably more than enough, but I don't mind going up to 24" for something that looks nice.
Jun 15, 2011
37816 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
asif9t9 wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 4:37 pm
I am so confused reading up on these monitors. I'm not a PC gamer, but I figure I'd like a decent monitor for it. Seems like IPS isn't the way to go. Not sure if the ghosting on IPS is that bad. That said, most of the time I'll be surfing the net, etc, so I'd like a monitor that just has a great picture, so IPS seems the way to go. And does HDMI matter? I feel like I want a monitor that's as future-proof as possible. In terms of size, 21" is probably more than enough, but I don't mind going up to 24" for something that looks nice.
For me HDMI does matter. Easier for me to hook up my phone if I need to, or another HDMI device. My friend has a Dell 27" IPS and I love it.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.