• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 5:56 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
141 posts
23 upvotes

--- IPTV on AMAZON FIRESTICK 4K ---

just thought id share this.
so far only a few iptv apk's are working on the 4k version.
and there are a few ways to install apks. the most common are below. you must have unknown sources and adb debugging on in your stick settings.

1. downloader app from amazon store under utility
2. es file explorer app from amazon app store under utility
3. via adblink app HERE type in your firestick ip in the ad hoc field and press connect. then click install apk and select the apk you want to push and install to the stick. in some OS's it will not show what you are typing. this is a known bug.

took me a few hours to figure thingsnout and find it.
but for all of you who got that firestick 4k deal on black friday.
this is the only version of stb emu i found that works on the 64bit 4k stick.
some changes will need to be done for stb emu to work properly.

1. aspect ratio be default is zoomed and stretched. change this to auto.
2. turn on max connections and set to 15 for generic and ajax. if you leave disabled the start up portal loading takes ages.
3. I am using LJK as the default player. switching between that and EXO. can't really notice a difference yet.

anyways that's what i learned so far. if anyone has anything else to add please do.

--- confirmed working. ---

stb emu version 1.1.8.10 pro (anything previous will not open after install) DOWNLOAD HERE
ok2 APK FINAL (all previous versions are not working) (works but limited function due to firestick remote lacking buttons) DOWNLOAD HERE
Bell FIbe (fully supported in amazon app store)(locked to canada)
crave tv (fully supported in amazon app store)(locked to canada)
netflix (fully supported in amazon app store)(multiple region lock versions)
twitch (fully supported in amazon app store) (not region locked)
PLUTO (fully working) (channels will depend on ip region you are in)
shaw freerange fully working) (must activate on shaw ip on first activation. after that you can open anywhere) download link is below.

--- not tested ---
iptv smarters
gse smart iptv
perfect player
DTV
simple iptv

--- confirmed not working ---
rogers ignite tv (tried apk extracting and installing. installs fine. loads fine. fails to authenticate)
shaw freerange tv (same as rogers above.)

ill test more when i have the chance... unless others can test and post here their findings.
also i was playing around with different regions of the amazon app store.
smart dns will work for amazon prime. however you will need to make sure a few things are done . BEFORE you power on the device,

1. smart dns has to be set in network settings at the router level. this can be set at the device level but will add more steps and make things confusing later.
2. 1 click payments must be enabled in your amazon account settings.
3. country region settings must be applied in content and devices preferences in the matching region page....
IE if you want US prime. go to usa page.. www.amazon.com then Digital content and devices then preferences and then Country/Region Settings.

i have found the best way to get around this is set vpn at the router level and to redirect all dns requests from 8.8.8.8 to your vpn dns or smartdns provider.
8.8.8.8 is hardcoded into the firestick. vpns installed from the amazon app store on the device will not change streaming regions at all. only web browsing.
if you mess up at any point above it can lead to things no loading. things no downloading or installing or things completely missing from the home page.
to rectify this you can do 2 of the following things...

1. reset your firestick
or
2. in device settings go to applications - manage installed apps... and for every version of app you have already downloaded or every amazon app you will need to click on clear cache and clear data. some apps will require a complete uninstall and re download from the proper store. such as netflix. from what i have noticed there is 2 multiple region specific versions of this app which do not play with other region titles. someone else can confirm this... but from what i have tested.... if you download the CAD version and switch dns or vpn to USA and open the app. yes it will load titles but when you click on them they will not load.

sigh... anyways have fun and share your findings.
Last edited by techjedi on Dec 8th, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Dec 24, 2007
451 posts
345 upvotes
BC
For Shaw FreeRange TV to work you need the modded version that removes the HDMI check, Get it from XDA and sideload: shawfreerangetv.leanback422001.apk. This is the working version not the other one.

Install free VPNs like TurboVPN, ProtonVPN, Windscribe, (select US server) to watch geoblocked programs on the PBS app.

Sideload is easiest using the App2Fire app from the PlayStore. All you have to do is select the app from your list of applications on your phone/tablet and tap on install and it will transfer the Apk to Firestick and install.

Or if you have a downloaded Apk file, then upload the Apk file to a Cloud service like Box and use ES Explorer to install from Cloud service.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2767 posts
304 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Perfect player works
Vaders app works
Apollo group app works

I had better success with easy fire tools pushing installed apps.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
459 upvotes
Nice post op!

I wish someone would do the same hack on the Bell Fibe TV app so that it can run on Android TV.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
141 posts
23 upvotes
there is one. look. Image
vodka wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:00 am
Nice post op!

I wish someone would do the same hack on the Bell Fibe TV app so that it can run on Android TV.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
459 upvotes
But you can't use it on Android TV or Fire TV - it detects that it's on Android TV and not connected to the bell network and won't work. However, phones and tablets, no problem.

you missed my point - I wish someone would hack this app so it would work on Android TV with any network connection
Dec 24, 2007
451 posts
345 upvotes
BC
It's been tried but unfortunately it is too difficult to remove the HDMI check from the Bell TV app.
Jun 1, 2015
156 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sorry noob question but if i get firestick, i no longer need to buy an iptv box?

If so, i was under the impression that you pay a monthly subscription for iptv and pay upfront for the box so if firestick replaces the need to get an iptv box, then who do you get the monthly subscription to - do we just sign up online on their website for a subscription?
Dec 24, 2007
451 posts
345 upvotes
BC
RigorMortis wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:41 pm
Sorry noob question but if i get firestick, i no longer need to buy an iptv box?
A Firestick is just another Android device that you can install apps on. The only thing different is that instead of the screen being your phone/tablet, it is now your TV screen. Many of the IPTV boxes are just Android boxes.

What you put on it is what you can stream or view. You can't view anything unless you sign up for a service, whether it is NetFlix, Amazon, Shaw, CraveTV, Bell, whatever. If you want IPTV, you have to sign up for IPTV subscription and get the app that works with that subscription (some do not work like Bell).

There are free android apps like Crackle or TubiTV from the Google PlayStore that allow you to view movies for free. Other "grey" area apps like Terrarium TV you will have to google and find yourself to download. YouTube has many videos on how to install those apps onto the Firestick.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
141 posts
23 upvotes
man that sucks.... i would really like that.
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:10 pm
It's been tried but unfortunately it is too difficult to remove the HDMI check from the Bell TV app.
no. but at 49.99 this is the cheapest iptv device with official android tv support and certified 4k netflix as well.
RigorMortis wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:41 pm

If so, i was under the impression that you pay a monthly subscription for iptv and pay upfront for the box so if firestick replaces the need to get an iptv box, then who do you get the monthly subscription to - do we just sign up online on their website for a subscription?
on a side note... if you got USA smartdns install PLUTO best free tv app i have seen hands down. lots to watch on there.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
459 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:10 pm
Not sure what the "check" in the app is for.
The Mi Box is actually listed as a supported device (and you can download the app to it) but it then checks if you're on the Bell network (i.e. your Internet connection) and if you are on a different connection, it won't work.

https://support.bell.ca/TV/Channels/How ... isplayStep

I wonder if I just tether my phone, then connect the MiBox to Cell signal, if it will work - just thought of this, I'll have to check tonight (not that it will make a big difference as I can't code anything)
Dec 24, 2007
451 posts
345 upvotes
BC
vodka wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 1:12 pm
Not sure what the "check" in the app is for.
Maybe that's why it is so hard to mod the Bell TV app since there is extra code that checks for the IP address of your home Bell network and not as simple as just the HDMI check.

Let us know how it turned out.
Last edited by WetCoastGuy on Dec 7th, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
459 upvotes
techjedi wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 12:55 pm
man that sucks.... i would really like that.

no. but at 49.99 this is the cheapest iptv device with official android tv support and certified 4k netflix as well.

on a side note... if you got USA smartdns install PLUTO best free tv app i have seen hands down. lots to watch on there.
I have PLUTO installed on all my MI Boxes and don't have a USA SmartDNS....
Apr 2, 2003
655 posts
38 upvotes
Quebec
I think that he means that with a US proxy you will have even more channels in PLUTO. I didn't try yet with my VPN, but I didn't have a whole lot of channels without one.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1771 posts
459 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 1:18 pm
Maybe that's why it is so hard to mod the Bell TV app since there is extra code that checks for the IP address of your home Bell network and not as simple as just the HDMI check.

Let us know how it turned out.
No dice - still will not play and says the same thing that you need to be on Bell internet of Bell Wifi...