Computers & Electronics

IPTV - how to set it up? (beginner questions)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2017 6:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 29, 2005
385 posts
25 upvotes

IPTV - how to set it up? (beginner questions)

IPTV – how to set it up?

Currently my parents are paying $73 for TV service form Bell (including some $12 for Indian Tamil channels).
Want to set up on IPTV so my parents will save some money. On my research so far I came to know I need an IPTV box and IPTV service.

Here my list for each:

IPTV Box:
MAG254/255 - about $120
Roku - about $100

IPTV Box Software:
- KODI - is a app that you can install on certain IPTV boxes in order to watch streaming tv.

suggestion for IPTV box is welcome.

IPTV provider such as
IPGUYS - $20/month - (can not find the website search on kijiji)
Wow TV - about $20/month
Vmedia - $44/month +$12 (extra channels)
Zazeen TV - $109/month
Match TV - $21/month
Voodoobox - price ?
YuppTV - different packages
vmedia - $17-$44/month with different package deals
acanac - different package and different deals with internetf
rfd user Bobsagget - mentioned "Phoenix plugin on Kodi" for NHL

also there are private server which I use for my tv service, $16/month
has 500+ channel including local channel. PM me if you need info.

add your list to the post will add them as they come, please include the pricing also
thanks for the people who have contacted me with the info of iptv services for testing.

--------------------------
Faq about IPTV

1. What is IPTV?
IPTV, Internet Protocol television is a system through which television services are delivered using the Internet instead of being delivered through traditional satellite signal, or cable television formats.

2. Do I have to program by the set-top-box myself?
No. Many services do not require any setup; some do require some set up such imputing the service provider address in the box setting. Some services require just the username and logging information.

3. How many Channels are available on IPTV?
Current IPTV services, there are 800+ Live Channels. The channel list is constantly updated and new channels are always coming available. Because it is internet base service there is no restriction on how many channels you can have on your service.

4. What kind of Internet service do I require for IPTV to work without interruption?
You need minimum Internet Speed of 10mbs and Unlimited Data in order for the IPTV. The service quality depends on two things, the service provider server capability of sending data and the quality of internet service you have. If any of those two is compromised your service quality will be compromised and you will see lags and freezing. Also the Set-top-Box (STB) or receiver for the service affects the quality of the service.

5. Do I require any other devices for the IPTV?
Only two things you need is Set Top Box (STB) and good internet service. STB works as a receiver for the IPTV. Many independent IPTV uses MAG254. The Mag Box by Informir is used is because the software and technical aspect are open source. Informer the manufacture of mag254 box also provide the server side service if you decide to start your own iptv service.

6. Are there any High Definition (HD) Channels?
Yes there are many HD channels available in the IPTV.

7. How is the quality of the service?
It all depends on the quality of service provided by your iptv service provider. If the service is coming from a good serve there are no noticeable differences in the IPTV and traditional TV services provided by many major TV providers. (If you need further info message me.)
:)
1796 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1139 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just google Kodi, used to be called XBMC. There are tons of youtube videos. Pretty easy to learn and see what it is all about.

I am interested in the Wow TV too. Don't know about others, but I would not go with Vmedia. Not many good things from what I have read here.
Aug 27, 2004
900 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
milhouse611 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 4:13 pm
Just google Kodi, used to be called XBMC. There are tons of youtube videos. Pretty easy to learn and see what it is all about.

I am interested in the Wow TV too. Don't know about others, but I would not go with Vmedia. Not many good things from what I have read here.
Zazeen pricing is so disappointing, I was hoping they price their tv + internet packges in the 70-90 range
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15867 posts
1796 upvotes
arvins wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 3:24 pm
IPTV – how to set it up?

Currently my parents are paying $73 for TV service form Bell (including some $12 for Indian Tamil channels).
How technical are your parents? If they're not, better stick with Bell.

Also add vMedia to the list of companies to avoid - service is too unreliable and the firmware itself (i.e. UI, standby, PVR, etc.) is buggy.
Feb 27, 2007
723 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
We can get you around that $90 price range if you take internet directly from Acanac and TV from Zazeen. At least for now. Once Acanac launches it's own bundles this will no longer be possible.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1998 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
AcanacInc wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 10:37 am
We can get you around that $90 price range if you take internet directly from Acanac and TV from Zazeen. At least for now. Once Acanac launches it's own bundles this will no longer be possible.
Hi there, how is this possible? I only see the option to buy a bundle with internet and TV on the Zazeen website.
Aug 27, 2004
900 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
AcanacInc wrote:
Mar 31st, 2015 10:37 am
A less cryptic message would be very helpful. What are the current consumer options in terms of acanac and zazeen bundles. Can a higher speed internet like 60/10 service be combined with zazeen tv and what is the pricing on that right now?
Dec 30, 1969
45 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I dont know much about these iptv providers but i currently have a mag250 box and on the voodoo iptv server through this guy i know in the GTA. He also deals with other servers too. Hes and indian guy whos clientel is mostly south asian so the servers he works with has tons of south asian content. He charges $80 for 6 months service. If your interested PM me and i can give you his info.
Sep 17, 2011
9 posts
Toronto
Lancerdude wrote:
Apr 5th, 2015 6:39 pm
I dont know much about these iptv providers but i currently have a mag250 box and on the voodoo iptv server through this guy i know in the GTA. He also deals with other servers too. Hes and indian guy whos clientel is mostly south asian so the servers he works with has tons of south asian content. He charges $80 for 6 months service. If your interested PM me and i can give you his info.
can you send me his info Thanks
Mar 20, 2008
708 posts
103 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote:
How is the service? Any buffering? Also do you get HD channels in Real HD?
Dec 30, 1969
45 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nirajshah7 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2015 10:58 pm
How is the service? Any buffering? Also do you get HD channels in Real HD?
Service is alright. Im not a tv addict, so i dont spend much my time watching tv. I have it mostly for my parents for the multicultural content. Some channels do go down from time to time but they go back up quick. Based on my box and tv, HD channels on this server are alright..... Depending on the channel, you might get some buffering..... I have only really seen it with the multicutural channels my parents watch.... Could be just the source for that channel. But this guy deals with different servers/providers.
Mar 7, 2006
134 posts
3 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote:
Lancerdude, could you pm the guys info also
Dec 26, 2012
737 posts
211 upvotes
Lancerdude wrote:
Please PM me the info as well.
Dec 30, 1969
45 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
arvins wrote:
Apr 8th, 2015 10:12 am
pm me the info of the guy.
just sent you a PM with info
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel