Home & Garden

iRobot Roomba 805 at Costco

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 9:56 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
Steaky wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:33 am
Got myself a xiaomi for under 500. I highly recommend. The new model even has a mop feature. It's systemmatic approach and wifi connectedness are big selling features for me.
$500 CAD? Is it certified for US and Canada? I need CSA or UL certified electronic devices in my house, otherwise if the batteries burst up in flames, there is no one to blame but me.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 18, 2007
107 posts
13 upvotes
London
It's sold on amazon.ca is all I know.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
Steaky wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:04 pm
It's sold on amazon.ca is all I know.
That doesn't mean anything. In this case Amazon is just a store front for a 3rd party seller who is shipping from Asia. It's not even officially Xiaomi that exports it to Canada, just some random dude who takes no responsibility after the sale is made.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
7795 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:52 am
$500 CAD? Is it certified for US and Canada? I need CSA or UL certified electronic devices in my house, otherwise if the batteries burst up in flames, there is no one to blame but me.
I'm sure that your insurance will point to the non csa/ul electronic device and deny you coverage. lol. X uses the same parts from the R980. I have the xiaomi myself. Amazing piece of equipment. It's a 980 for the price of a 805. No brainer. Paid $504 after import. But whatever, I'm sure you cell phone can burn your house down as well.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
koffey wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:05 pm
I'm sure that your insurance will point to the non csa/ul electronic device and deny you coverage. lol. X uses the same parts from the R980. I have the xiaomi myself. Amazing piece of equipment. It's a 980 for the price of a 805. No brainer. Paid $504 after import. But whatever, I'm sure you cell phone can burn your house down as well.
If it's determined as the origin and cause of the fire, why not?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
7795 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:29 pm
If it's determined as the origin and cause of the fire, why not?
So, the question. If the batteries are CSA and the device is not, what's the issue? Or what about the iphones that caught fire because of non-oem adapters? Note 7?
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
koffey wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:03 pm
So, the question. If the batteries are CSA and the device is not, what's the issue? Or what about the iphones that caught fire because of non-oem adapters? Note 7?
Not sure what your point is. I was just saying that when a fire happens there is usually an investigation on the origin. Any electrical device, certified or not, can cause a fire and this will be put in a report. It will not look particularly good if the report will list the origin was a non-compliant imported device. You don't agree with this?
Anyway, why is it so hard to be upfront on all aspects of these chinese vacuums. Don't just stop at "Amazing piece of equipment...No brainer...", also point the potential negatives, so the picture is complete. I agree that price and features are good, but there are other things to consider, otherwise it's not an efficient way to spend money.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
7795 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:56 pm
Not sure what your point is. I was just saying that when a fire happens there is usually an investigation on the origin. Any electrical device, certified or not, can cause a fire and this will be put in a report. It will not look particularly good if the report will list the origin was a non-compliant imported device. You don't agree with this?
Anyway, why is it so hard to be upfront on all aspects of these chinese vacuums. Don't just stop at "Amazing piece of equipment...No brainer...", also point the potential negatives, so the picture is complete. I agree that price and features are good, but there are other things to consider, otherwise it's not an efficient way to spend money.
My point? How do you determine what is CSA/UL compliant if the batteries are compliant and the cause of the fire. I'm laughing that you're willing to drop huge dollars for 'perceived' safety, or looking at standards, but the batteries are LG/panos, these are CSA approved but like I said, that's your prerogative.

I didn't just stop there but why keep repeating what everyone else and myself says.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/gearbes ... #p27274834

Search the net, read about it. I'm not sure what else you are looking for when you think price and features are good when considering a vacuum. This isn't a car, what else are you looking for? Small overlap crash testing? I'll stop there since there are much better alternatives to wasting your money on this 800 series.
koffey wrote:
Dec 28th, 2016 4:24 pm
While I will agree with you on point about warranty, people buy Xiaomi phones and other products are in the same boat. Heck, people buy cars and use bolt-on/access port mods that void warranty on $50k cars. I think the value here, at least from my perspective is to obtain the most advanced/powerful robo and not pay the full crazy price tag. Here, I see the value in getting top of the line tech and the same parts, output as the 980 Roomba that I can buy at costco for $1100+tx. I wasn't even able to find the connected series from Neato, nor the 960 from Roomba, so I'm stuck paying top dollar. I'm willing to gamble on it, based on the feedback from the net on this vacuum, it's an excellent performer and I believe that anything you buy from ******** comes with a 1 year warranty. So, much like buying an electronic device sans costco and without any extended warranties which drive up the price more so, you have to relay on manufacture warranty for the remaining 11 months. In most cases, you have to ship it out, which I see being no different that this.

I'll be sure to share my experience with this. I was pretty sceptical at first cause OP is always posting the china stuff but I think I've done enough homework that if this device lasts a year, I'd be pleased since it uses all the same, but has even more components, as Roomba 980. I'm willing to gamble $500 and know that if it's junk, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
And I haven't lost sleep. This thing is still awesome and my house hasn't burnt down. Nor killed my cat.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
OK, great. I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
7795 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
Amazing stuff, just trying to share the joy and help save the coin.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 8, 2016
5 posts
I don’t want to go into details about insurance etc, but neither the Neato or Xiaomi have brushless rollers, which was a feature I was looking for. Due to the fact that I’m tired of hair tangling in the bristles. Please correct me if otherwise.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2516 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:28 am
How long have you had the D5? Where was it purchased?
The D5 was my second option, but I'm worried about long term reliability.
Have had it 6 months so far working good. no issues there is a D7 coming soon that is bigger and flagship but will be more $$. I think costco sells these now so pretty safe to buy it there
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2516 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
Steaky wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:33 am
Got myself a xiaomi for under 500. I highly recommend. The new model even has a mop feature. Its systemmatic approach and wifi connectedness are big selling features for me.
Which Model?

I am waiting for a real mop robot, so far havent' seen any that are worth it, but haven't looked in a year or so. A solid mop robot or steamclean robot would rock.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2833 posts
827 upvotes
AB
dreaderus wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:29 pm
Have had it 6 months so far working good. no issues there is a D7 coming soon that is bigger and flagship but will be more $$. I think costco sells these now so pretty safe to buy it there
Costco used to carry Neato models ever since their first XV series, but recently they stopped. Not sure why, could be many reasons.
The D7 looks interesting because it will allow to select "no-go" zones on the phone, so no need for the magnetic strips. Probably more brands will come up with a way to do this, if it's easy enough and not patented. The price looks to be same as the current "Connected" model so about $1000 CAD, definitely a big jump in price from D5.

Top