Computers & Electronics

ISP package with 20mbps upload without Big Red?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2016 2:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby

ISP package with 20mbps upload without Big Red?

Is there any ISP that can give me unlimited internet with 20mbps upload speed other than the Rogers 250/20 package for $97.99?

The FTTN qualification says my line supports 50 down/26 up, why do no FTTN providers offer more than 10 up?!?

I'm with vmedia ISP now (cable, 60 down, 10 up). Would probably be adding the new ISP in addition to my existing one.

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking for this exact thing, 20-50mbit residential upload. Contacted a few bell and rogers re-sellers directly and they've all said no. Bell and Rogers only provide higher uplink on their higher plans with more download speed. Personally, I don't need 100-1000mbit download speeds. Give me a connection with 25mbit down / 25mbit up and I'll be ecstatic. Hope your research yields better results than mine.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby
Hello- wrote: Give me a connection with 25mbit down / 25mbit up and I'll be ecstatic.
^^ EXACTLY this :( I'll keep looking. So far the only company that said they could do it was http://www.frontiernetworks.ca/

They are checking where the closest fiber cabinet is for me and will give me a quote. If they have to run a fiber line from the box to my house they'll give me the installation quote and can blend the cost over 5 to 10 years if the installation is expensive.

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Hello- wrote: Give me a connection with 25mbit down / 25mbit up and I'll be ecstatic.
I've been saying this for over a decade. Probably longer actually.

But no... I'm stuck with FIVE mbps upload.
Screw you basically every ISP out there.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote:
MRW the hotel I'm staying in has a faster upload than my home.
Businesses for whatever reason seem to have access to tiers that are not available to residential customers, usually running fibre, or cable of some sort of other connection that offer Synchronous plans. The plaza across the street from a little suburban residential area could offer synchronous plans but to the residents they won't, which is sad unfortunately.

It's a rip off, what can you do. That's what happens when everything in Canada is monopolized. Unless you live in a beanfield metro connect building there is no way to get 20 u/l speeds unless you MLPPP a DSL connection and pay up the ANUS.

Cheapest would be something like dual 15/10 connection, would yield you 30/20 on the speeds, but you're looking at 80/month for 800GB or 100/month for unlimited, which is like I said a rip-off because for that price you could get 250/20 with a free wi-fi modem. Thanks to the monopolies.

I'm a bit cheesed myself, my max attainable is like 65909/28672. My profile could easily be stable at like 55 down and ~20 upload.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote: Businesses for whatever reason seem to have access to tiers that are not available to residential customers, usually running fibre, or cable of some sort of other connection that offer Synchronous plans.
I've actually signed up for business class lines a few times for varying reasons but most of the "small business" lines aren't any better in terms of specs. These I ordered for SLA purposes. 4 hour problem resolution is awesome.

I'm seriously tempted just to say screw it and find a building that's close to fiber sometimes.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote: I've actually signed up for business class lines a few times for varying reasons but most of the "small business" lines aren't any better in terms of specs. These I ordered for SLA purposes. 4 hour problem resolution is awesome.

I'm seriously tempted just to say screw it and find a building that's close to fiber sometimes.
Not sure about other cities across Canada, but if so ... then you have to find a building somewhere in downtown Toronto that offers Beanfield Metroconnect, they have synchronous internet plans at amazing prices.

https://www.beanfield.com/residential/

I mentioned in a thread, awhile back I have a lucky f**k friend that lives in one, has the 250/250 unlimited service for $50/month. It's fun to visit him sometimes and leech off his connection :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Yeah there's a few of those in GVRD as well.
SO tempted to move....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)